New Diagnosis

Welcome Lesli.

I am sure you are terrified, and even more so because you are a nurse.

Who am I to advise a member of the medical profession, however since you asked....for a start, I would take note of our "Snowflakes" notes for new caregivers, they really help one to slow down and calm oneself. Tell your family exactly what you told us. "You can't be strong for everyone when you are feeling so scared yourself". Come here often to vent or just to chat. There are so many nice folks here to give you support.

I will say a prayer for you, your Mom and for all your family.

Paddy

• 2 months later...

Good evening, all.

I hated to be the type of poster who brought our problem to this board, and then just up and left!

These past months have been surreal! I also did not post, as my Mom has far exceeded any and all expectations! I didn't know if it was PC to come here and rejoice in how she is doing.

She completed radiation 3 weeks ago. This week is her 6th and final round of VP-16 and carboplatin. She still claims that she did not have one single moment of nausea throughout this entire process. She did have some discomfort in her esophagus during XRT, but when they shifted her a bit, that went away also. Her oncologist calls her his "miracle lady". She will have scans in 4 weeks, but thet don't anticipate finding anything! They did scans at the halfway point, and all were clear!

I had my own scare 3 weeks ago. DH and I were on a long weekend in Wisconsin, and I thought I had badly pulled a muscle in my back/scapula after 18 holes of golf. It started to hurt so badly, we decided to stop at the ER in Sturgeon Bay, and see if an MD could provide me with some relief, until I could get back to my own MD in Indiana. THEY ADMITTED ME! I had a complete pleural effusion of my R lung, with a pretty significant haziness in the base of the L. I stayed there for 4 days, and then I was transferred to another hospital in Green Bay, where I underwent a thoracotomy and decortication of the right lung. They found some suspicious nodes at the hilum, and in the base of the R lung. These WERE proved to be benign nodules. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life! I have whole chunks of those 14 days in the hospitals that are missing, and I probably woun't want to remember them anyway!

Hope all of you and yours are stable.

Lesli

Glad to hear from you, Lesli!

We always love good news - hearing about those who sail through treatment gives hope to others. Don't be afraid to post good news!

Also glad to hear your personal scare was proved to be benign. Might want to get regular scans, though, if your dr. can get insurance to pay for it based on your family history.

Lesley,

I am so pleasedyour MOM is doing well! I was like here and had a good quick first remission, it cleared up real well. Unfortunatly it came back in the spinal cord, but round 2 seems to be going OK and I am making headway. Hugs and a Happy Dance going out that you guys are doing good. We will keep praying it is so.

Blessings

Betty

Believe me...there are others of us here with sclc who are really delighted to hear such a good report on your mom! Actually, most everyone here loves good news....but those of us with sclc constitute the minority group....and with such an aggressive cancer, a report as positive as your mom's is MOST hopeful and inspiring!! Give that woman a cake and tell her to celebrate!! (This sort of achievement deserves more than just a cookie!!)

Your mom looks like a character with a good sense of humor. Anyone who collects furbies past adolescence can't be all bad! :wink::wink: (Teddy bears are my thing! :) ) And I'll wager her general attitude has gone a long way towards how she's endured treatment with so few ill effects.

After today, I have one cycle of chemo left. Radiation is over...but I will have PCI probably in October. I've had very few ill effects from treatment myself and consider myself extremely lucky. Tell your mom I will remember her experience and use it as inspiration! I'm so glad you shared this with us.

As for you....I can imagine the scare you must have felt with your own lung issues. I'm so glad everything was benign...but think it's very wise to follow up with scans just to be sure and to ease your mind.

Keep us posted on both mom and you...and thanks again for such an uplifting and great report on mom!

Lesli, you need to come back more often with the good news on your Mom! Everyone needs to hear good stories to get renewed HOPE!

Gosh, your own thing was quite a scare. Please keep us posted on you.

Don't feel afraid to post good stuff, we need to hear the good stuff!!

I love the photo of your mom, how cute is that????

God Bless,

Karen C.