Can someone give me a question?

Andrea

Hi. I apologize if I didn't respond to any posts the past co uple of days, my jury is still out and the commute is driving me insane and I have been busy with Relay for Life meetings, etc.

I promise I will read the posts tonight :) BUt in the interim, here I am being obnoxious and asking people to respond to my post :) Ok, for Relay, we are doing Mission Delievery where each team takes on a cancer or a cause. I thought long and hard and was like, lung cancer for my team. It was a tough decision ;)

To attract people to our tables, we need to be creative. A few people are doing drawings and I want to do that. Here is what I need help with. I am going to have a drawing for e ither a Mikasa vase or a blender (I am going through duplicate wedding gifts :) ) There will be a sign up and people will give their na m e and phone n umber and whomever answeres closest to a q uestion will win. So here is what I need: A QUESTION and answer if someone has it.

I want something with "shock value". Like how many non smokers get diagnosed a year? or a statistical n umer or something like that so when I have the answer on the board it sends a message.

I hop ethis makes sense. I am writing fast and it is early

Off to court. THANKS and LOVE and HUGS to all

OR:

Can only smokers get lung cancer? (Simple yes/no)

OR:

DO only smokers get lung cancer?

OR:

What type of cancer is the #1 killer in America - more deaths than the others combined? (Which SHOULD be a "no brainer" at a lung cancer booth...)

OR:

What group is the most rapidly growing to be diagnosed with lung cancer?

(I like John's...)

Andrea, you may have more than one person answer the question correctly (especially if you have people from the ACS there)...so maybe if they answer the questions correctly, then they get put into a drawing and you pull out a name?

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Andrea,

answers from

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/vicc/lungs ... each7.html

Do you know that 1 out of 6 people who develop lung cancer NEVER SMOKED?

"A common misconception is that only smokers are at risk. However, approximately one out of six people who develop lung cancer have never smoked, and more than HALF of newly diagnosed cases arise in individuals who are ex-smokers."

Is it possible for people who breathe secondhand smoke to die from lung cancer?

"Each year, approximately 3,000 nonsmoking adults die from lung cancer as a result of breathing secondhand smoke."

What causes more deaths than breast, prostrate, colon and ovarian cancers combined?

"Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States among both men and women. More Americans die from lung cancer than from breast, prostate, colon and ovarian cancers combined."

Sources for this information can be found on that link & you should probably print the page out so you can back up the information with it.

Ok, some amazing facts According to American Cancer Society 2004 Report

Estimated New Cases Cancer ----+------ Estimated Deaths

Both Sexes ------ Men ------ Women ----+- Both Sexes ------ Men ------ Women

1,368,030 ------ 699,560 ------ 668,470 ----+-- 563,700 ------ 290,890 ------ 272,810

Lung Cancer

Both Sexes ------ Men ------ Women ----+-- Both Sexes ------ Men ------ Women

173770 ------ 931100 ------ 80660 ---+--- 160440 ------ 91930 ------ 68510

#1 Cancer Killer in Men at 32% (the # 2 is Prostate at 10%)

#1 Cancer Killer in Women at 25% (#2 is Breast at 15%)

13% of all new cancer cases are Lung Cancer.

28% of all cancer deaths are LC (#2 is Colon with 10%)

LC Deaths in Women has surpassed Breast Cancer since 1987

only 16% of all Lung Cancer diagnosis' are detected in the early stages.

Smoking accounts for 30% of all cancers (Lung, pharynx, mouth,... all sites).

13% of all lung cancers are Non-smokers (Never smoked)