Radiation and Pain Relief

Ven

Hi - My first post - I've read many of your stories and this certainly is a caring and supportive group.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of how long it takes to get some pain relief with radiation treatments? This is regarding Stage IV and it has spread to the ribs. Tylenol #3 is helping and doctor has written a prescription for Vicoproten which we have not filled as of yet.

This is all new to us and I appreciate the information I've already learned from this group.

Thank You.

Hi Ven,

I'm sorry I don't have answers to your questions. My husband hasn't had pain at all other than headaches from the brain tumors when he was first diagnosed, and decadron took care of that real fast. There are many others on here though who have had pain in ribs, spine, legs, etc., and I'm sure you will be hearing from them very soon.

Welcome to this very helpful forum. I think you will really be pleased with the support and answers you will get here.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Ven

When Chris was first dx, he had radiation to the brain and hip for mets. They put him on the decadron and also oxycontin twice a day, with hydromorpine for break thru pain. This helped him very much.

The oxy is a longer lasting pain med and they told us you can't get addicted to it if you're in pain. It goes to where the pain is.

They also put our son on it last year when he had his ACL operated to repair it.

The combination of the pills did wonders for Chris' pain. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Hi,

I just completed 10 rounds of radiation to my right hip/pelvic area for pain in my right leg.The pain has been coming and going so far and at times has been worse than before I started the treatment.I saw the rad onc yesterday and he said that I would not get the full effect of pain relief for another 2 to 3 weeks.At least now I can control the pain with medicines whereas I could not before I started the radiation.Hope this helps.It does take time though.Praying for us all.TBone

Thank you for the replies. I've never heard of some of these pain medicines, I am taking notes.

The doctor said it will take 5 or 6 treatments to get some relief but I suppose each case is different.

Debbie, my condolences on your recent loss, it is good of you to take the time and effort to still post here.

TBone, that is a good looking group! Peggy, I like that picture you posted - Indiana is a beautiful state.

Thanks, again.

Ven,

Hi. Welcome to the board. My dad had direct radiation to his throat, as a percaution, and his pain was unbearable at times. His throat felt like it had a sunburn, and he couldn't eat or drink almost anything. He tried alot of things for pain, but nothing really seemed to work. I dont know what to say except that once the radiation was over it took about 4 or 5 days after he was done, but now hes absolutly back to normal. There is a light at the end of this dark painfull tunnel. Everyone who posted back to you had some answers, maybe try one of their solutions. Best of luck, and I hope you find your answer soon.

Jamie

Hi, Ven, and welcome to the boards. My wife is Stage IV with bone mets, and she has had relief of pain by radiation to upper spine, left hip and sacrum. It usually took about five or so treatments before she got significiant relief,but it did relieve pain in each case. I would take the pain medication -- that is what it is for. Don

Sharon,

I thank you very much for your good wishes - but I am not the one with the problem. {Should say I am not the one in pain}

Right now the Tylenol #3 is helping quite a bit. As I said in my first post, this is all new to us. I'm grateful to find such helpful, caring people.

:)

Dear Ven,

Welcome, and like others, I'm sorry you have the need to be here.

I just wanted to share this with you.

One of my LC Support Group members last week, came to our group meeting with a upper (chest cast) on. It's made of plastic and it just straps on around his chest and back. His cancer has spread to the bone as well, (rib, hip, etc.) He said he gets a lot of comfort from this cast. It seems to keep things in place. (so to speak!)

Otherwise, I have heard it takes a few radiation sessions before the pain gets better. Always keep in mind, they have stronger pain med's available, if worse comes to worse.

Good Luck,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to do a little updating - as I know we all watch each other's progress.

Yesterday was the 14th radiation treatment and the first day she went all day long with no pain medicine.

Also, one vicoprofen helped her throughout the night.

So, for anyone else going through the same, there is relief down the road.

The next question is whether or not to do chemo (age 79, NSCLC, good health otherwise, great attitude & spirit). I would appreciate any comments on that decision.

Thank you and hope everyone's day is better than expected.

Ven