Constant Burping

Elaine

Well since someone had good luck with finding out what may be causing hiccups, I thought I would ask about my constant burping. It happens every time I take a drink of something, and it basically just an annoyance but I can't help think it is somehow related to my cancer. How, I don't know but did wonder if anyone else had this symptom and knew what it meant. The burping started just before DX in Jan., so it is nothing to do with any meds etc.

Thanks

Elaine

As a result of surgeries, or tumor pushing things around inside the chest and upper abdomen , or irritation and scarring due to radiation or chemo, your epiglotis/esaphogus can be damaged or actually moved around a little bit. It doesn't take much to end up with some interesting new habits...like burping. Also, sometimes the same physical defects that contribute to food and drink going down the trachea also has air being swallowed instead of inhaled. We burp, or belch as a result of swallowing air. Before the pneumonectomy I couldn't burp even when I wanted to do so. Now my trachea and esaphogus are not straight up and down, and slant off to the right. All I have to do to burp is lean to the left, much to the amusement of my very young nephews. I'm now the "Cool Aunt", who can burp on demand. Hey....got to find the positives.

It is interesting you mentioned burping, my mom was burping a lot at diagnosis and with chemo. She kept apologizing and we were like who cares, burp away. However, she was never a big burper before.

Elaine, I don't have answers about the burping at all, but I loved Fay's response about being the "Cool Aunt" who can burp on demand. It reminded me of when our son was younger, he and my husband had burping contests, and well, you know, the other kind of "noise" contest, too. I think they were just trying to get me out of the house. :lol::lol:

Love,

Peggy

I too, have had problems with burping since the pneumonectomy. Early on I would be talking and a burp would come out rather than a word. It was most embarassing. I also have a gurgling sound in my chest. It is like a person's stomach growling but comes from the chest. Other folks near me can hear it. So you aren't alone.

Elaine,

For the past couple of months, whenever I cough heavily (quite often unfortunately), I immediately burp. It's clear to me that somehow I am forcing air into my stomach as I cough. I was surprised at first but now I'm used to it (like so many other things, sigh). My grandchildren are very impressed.

Dave S