FINALLY Daddy going to the Onc.

sharyn

well, its Wednesday evening and I am sitting here trying to get my mind off tomorrow. As most of you know, Daddy has not been feeling great. He was suppose to call his Onc on Monday, but he said he "felt better". So he put it off. Well today he finally decided that he indeed does not feel better and he must stop procrastinating. We have an appt. for 10:00 tomorrow morning. I am taking him as Mom is too nervous to hear what the doctor might say. She is also not one to ask questions, nor is my Dad, so I will go and fire those questions at him. I keep trying to think positive as you have all told me to do - but with each day of him feeling crappy its getting harder and harder. My only one comfort is that his CT Scans, blood work, and MRI from 5 weeks ago were all perfect - I will keep you all posted - Again, I am asking for your prayers. Love, Sharon

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Sharon, my prayers are with your dad and your family. Hopefully, it's just an attack of flu. I've been told that this season's flu make people feel very cr*ppy.

Well, I wish I had better news to report... The Onc definetley ruled out a "bug" and he really doubts Daddy's symptoms are a side effect of the Zometa. Daddy has to go for a bone scan on Saturday... They did a complete blood work up on him today and said they would discuss the results when we all get back together next Tuesday, but then the nurse called as I was leaving and said Daddy if VERY anemic.... They are putting him on Procrit and they said his iron levels are very low also. Now, I trying to be the eternal optimist (SURE) thought, well thats great because now at least we know its not bone mets making him feel so crappy. Until I got home and looked up causes of Anemia and bone cancer is one of them so I am so very upset right now. Now, i also know that Zometa can cause Anemia so I am not letting that rest. He has no other symptoms of bone mets... no pain at all except in his left hip where the mets were diagnosed way back in 2002 - and that pain is not a steady pain, it comes one day and might not come back for weeks... So guys... help me figure this crap out!! Wouldn't he have some sort of pain with bone mets? and if he does have more bone mets - how dire a prognosis is it???? I am feeling so down right now - I CAN'T FIX HIM and its making me crazy. Love, Sharon

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Sharon, when my onc was concerned over the pain I had been having in my back for weeks, he explained to me that cancer pain does not go away but traumatic or stress pain does. The bone scan showed probable trauma.

As to anemia, I had to have (procrit?) shots every week when I was going through chemo/radiation and boy did I feel like he**. Finally, about 5 weeks after last chemo, I no longer needed a shot.

Sharon, there are lots of reasons for anemia, one being not eating right. It could be many things. When I had my infection they did blood work and found I was anemic so I am taking iron pills twice a day. Hopefully he's just run down.

Sharon

Hoping for the best; as others have already said, there are lots of things it could be other than cancer!

BUT, you ask "if it IS bone mets, how dire is that"?? Just ask Don and Lucie - Lucie had lots of bone mets, but is currently all clear!!

Stay positive.

Karen

Sharon,

I was diagnosed NSCLC stage 4, two years ago this month. Just after diagnosis I noticed a tendency to limp when I walked. Bone scans revealed mets to my left hip and left 2nd rib (primary was in RLL). After an MRI the Drs put me on crutches until I could get surgery because the cancer had severely weakened the left femoral neck making me susceptible to fracture. My point is I had very little pain. So I'm of the opinion that pain is not necessarily a good barometer of bone mets. For my rib mets I also had very little discomfort UNTIL I broke the rib (now that hurt). After some radiation and chemo both mets resolved and were clear on subsequent PET scans. I also asked for Zometa which may have helped too.

Best wishes to us all, Dave S