Question about the root of your coughs

Elaine

As you can tell by my profile, I decided on no treatment for now. But I do know that I can change my mind if I get symptoms or become more and more uncomfortable. One thing I could do would be radiation. However, I do not have a cough now. Burping, yes, lol. As I have read posts, I have noticed that many people seem to have a cough due to their radiation treatments and not the tumour? Is that true? Or I also wonder if some people's pre-treatment cough actually got worse after treatment. I also wonder if treatment induced coughs ever go away or just gets worse or what.

One thing I AM happy about is that I don't cough. Why this makes me happy, I don't know, but it somehow brings me comfort. So I fear doing anything that will make me cough and cough and cough .....

Just writing this has brought me to tears...

Elaine

Elaine,

I had radiation...developed a "society dame" cough for a little while....when all the "fried" areas healed, the cough went. I had involuntary spasms of my esophagus when swallowing that would make me choke... That, too, went away.

My cough right now starts with the annoyance of an allergy-induced post-nasal drip, just like I had prior to radiation - this is a "same stuff different day" thing...

The esophagal spasms that made me choke? I get those every now and then - and always when I'm least expecting it. After I hack everything up (meaning whatever I was trying to swallow that has tried to head into my lungs) and the tears stop (automatic response, can't help it) I'm fine...

The occassional spasms and previous cough are worth the peace of mind I've received...

My input.....

Hogs & quiches,

Becky

My mom got a radiation cough. Or at least a cough while on radiation and still lingering. Not sure if it is left over from sur gery or radiation.

Want to hear something wierd? She called me today, she is taking vicadin for her cough, that helps it. The liquid vicadin b/c the codeine robitussun maker her sleepier. I canot figure out how vicadin can help a cough, but if it helps, it helps.

Elaine, I have a cough but don't think it is related to radiation. I have had this problem for quite awhile. The pulmonary doc. feels it is related to gastric reflux which we know I have and am on Nexium for that. Also allergies play a part and Ks or at least our are is know for its allergies. I take Tssinex (prescription) to sleep at night but manage during the day with an occassional cough drop. I don't consider it a big problem. It does tend to clear up with prednizone butwho wants to take that all the time.

Elaine,

My nagging cough sent me to the doctor and diagnosis. I have been on and off different treatments, although no radiation. My coughing subsided when I was on my first chemo and then returned when my tumor started progressing again. Sometimes I have had coughing fits with little real concrete explanation...although, when we had the wildfires here last year, I really was "coughing my brains out." For the last three weeks, I have only occasional coughs...like a normal person, for which I am so grateful. I judge my state of coughing by whether I can join in the singing at church...if I can't go one line without a cough, it's not good, but when I can get through the song, I send up a prayer of thanksgiving.

Margaret

Elaine,

I am currently undergoing radiation to my lung (3 more treatments left!). I have developed a cough with the radiation. Not too annoying, it is more of a dry "ladylike" cough. Better than a big loud wet cough, but I still look forward to it going away....

Jerrye

Elaine,

My Dad got radiation to his throat, and just under also, and he had a nagging painfull cough. Not sure how long, but he did say that for him Chemo was a breeze, and radiation was killing him. I know everyone is different, but thats just his story.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Elaine, the last 3 months I was working they transfered my position to an area in a very old building that previously had asbestos and still had some kind of weird mites or fungi. I started coughing all the time there. When I took a leave of absence, the coughing stopped. I often wonder if that initiated my cancer or helped it grow. Four months after I began working there, I was dx with cancer.

During radiation I had a "wet" cough but my tumor was very large and the doc said the cough and junk was because my tumor was breaking down and that was causing irritation.

Now, I still have a dry cough occassionally but I have heavy duty allergies so it could be that. (I hope)

It's a very hard decision on whether to have treatment and which kind (chemo, radiation, WBR). Just know that we're here for you whenever you need a shoulder.

Cat

Cat,

According to all the "training" I've had to take (asbestos where I work), asbestosis/mesothelioma is something that presents itself YEARS after exposure - like 20+. Now the FUNGI....keep hearing about the things that black mold can do if it's in a house and how it can cause bad things to go wrong in respiration. I don't have any training on THAT issue, though, so I can't give you more info...

I'm sure you can search on it, but I don't know the name of the mold, either...

Here's hoping for allergies!

Becky

My mom had a really bad cough and a lot of phlegm leading up to and after her diagnosis. We found out that a tumor had totally blocked of one of the bronchi preventing any air from entering that portion of her lung. She has had three weeks of radiation that shrunk the tumor and opened up the airway. Her cough has gotten much better and almost gone away completely. She had side effects like a very irritated esophagus, trouble swallowing etc, but most of that has cleared up as well thank God.

Becky,

The mold is called stachybotrys. It was in the building that I use to work in, including asbestos. The building burned down due to some ungrounded wires, thank God no one was in it. We are in an old hospital now, and asbestos abatement was done back in Sept.. I am pretty sure it irritated my lungs. I have bad allergies to mold and fungus. I have had a headache, itchy eyes, runny nose, and sneezing all day. I don't have a cough now, but after surgery and as a result of radiation. This all gave me a small plueral efussion, which eventually went away. Just think of all the trauma that your poor lungs go through during treatment!

Cheryl

I had a WICKED cough from radiation, but some steroids after treatment seemed to do the trick and now I only get that annoying dry cough first thing in the morning or if I exercise too hard!

Regarding mold/aspestos and cancer, I read an interesting article in Organic Style magazine a while back -- here is the link to read it on line.

This one line from the article seems to sum it all up: The EPA has established a link between at least one species of mold and lung cancer.

http://www.organicstyle.com/feature/0,8 ... 6',00.html

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Hebbie, in this ancient building the ceiling tiles were decomposing and falling in, including the tile right over my head. I would go home at night and find particles in my hair. I asked them to take the tile down because the remaining part was hanging over my head. This building is slated to be blown up New Year's Eve 2004. Some people are fighting to keep it because they consider it a landmark. Patrons only saw the first floor overlooking the intercoastal with huge windows. They never saw the shocking conditions on the floor above them where we worked.

Cat