An Update.

DeanCarl

Dean,

Please know that whenever I come on the board. I always look to see if you have posted and how your doing.

I must admit I have missed your posts. I always know the words I read are coming straight out of your soul and I really learn allot from you.

I will always keep you in my thoughts and hope with everything in me that you turn around soon and start to get some of your energy back.

Hang in there Dean,

For one who does not see the doctor very often I am the last person who should offer any advice except go for the pain meds when you need them. My doc says that the last thing I need to worry about now is getting addicted to anything. Not knowing what evil webs the beast is weaving I the last thing I need to deal with is pain. I am currently taking Percoset, Morphine and a 3-day patch (good for taking away morning pain). Once the pain is under control I can try and deal with the other challenges each day brings.

As you have said, taking the road less traveled requires an attitude that the beast will not conquer me. While each set back we encounter hits us physically we must fight on mentally. Our only weapon is our attitude, faith and commitment to living each day as best we can, with what we have.

God Bless,

Howard

Dean and Howard,

Thank you both for posting. It is so important for the rest of us to know how you are both doing.

Your courage and dignity and grace in dealing with this monster is incrediable. May we all learn from your examples of how to LIVE each day.

You are in my prayers.

Shirleyb

(((((((((((((((DEAN CARL))))))))))))))

If hugs could heal our cancer please know my hugs are being sent to do just that! If only it were that easy?!

Your a piller of Strength! Hope you have more GOOD days! I never give up HOPE!

Love, Hugs, Prayers, and Support,

Connie

Dear Dean,

I, also have looked for your posts and I think TBone said it best!! You have a way of saying what we need to hear in just the right way!! I admire your strength and convictions. I hate to hear about the pain you are in and I agree that you dont need to worry about addiction, you need to live your life as pain free as possible. My brother has been on the morphine patch almost from the beginning of his dx and he has almost no pain all the time. Yes, his cancer has grown and he is not doing well BUT he is not in pain! He is able to enjoy his family, the trees, the lakes and all the other things he loves because he is pain free. Yes, he has said he has no energy and really hasent since this all began but he is not sleeping or in pain all the time. You have chosen a very brave path ..... Enjoy every minute of that path that you can and look into getting some pain management to do so. I pray for you as always and as I do for each and everyone on this board. I wish I could send you a beautiful big Rose every day to brighten your world and to let you know how much you are appreciated and needed around here. My love goes out to you and Gaye.

God Bless You,

Jane

Dean Carl- as Zpacific said, taking the morphine will not be addictive. My Mom's onc described it as "taking the pain killer when you NEED it will in no way make you addicted, it's people taking it who DON"T need it that get addicted."

Hope this finds you feeling stronger.

Hope

Hope

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l/02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

06/03 Recurrance found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07/03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09/03 ct shows ca spread

09/03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12/03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

02/04 No growth, no reduction of tumors. Onc decided on a 4 week rest period to be followed by CT.

03/04 CT shows growth and additonal tumor in renal gland. Decided on l/2 dosage of cisplatinum and cpt-ll. Has severe reaction to chemo and has a seizure. Onc says we will now try Taxol or Gemzar.

04/04 Seizure was possibly caused by chemotherapeutic neurotoxicity. Onc is reconsidering future chemotherapy.

04/04 Hospitalized. Running tests to determine current staging and possible mets to spine.

05/004 Weak. Starting Topotecan, once a week for 3 weeks.

Dean,

Many sleepless nights I have surfed this site and have always been impressed with your posts, no matter the subject. You are such an eloquent being, and have that rare gift of using words as an art form.

My heart aches to think of you being in pain; I would try to find some type of long-acting pain med expressly made for chronic pain (maybe a Fentanyl patch or even OxyContin)...I do not think that Vicodin or any other narcotic pain med that is used primarily for acute, short-lived pain is the right choice for you at this stage of the game (they have their own nasty side effects, fatigue being chief among them, and you don't need any more than what you've got). Maybe you could explore this with your doc....it's an option.

Well, hopefully I'll be reading more of you in the days/weeks/months to come...I've come to look forward to your missives.

Thanks, Dean........Mary :)

Dean,

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so badly. I agree with all the other posts, you are truly an inspiration to us all.

Praying that you feel better soon and get the pain under control. Please keep us posted.

Praying for you,

TAnn