Want to leave HMO, need advice

natalie

We just went to the doctor with my mom yesterday and decided that he's pretty much wrote my mom off. She is getting radiation to the brain and I asked if we could do Gamma Knife or sterostatic and he said "absolutely not" He said it wouldn't work. He said my mom is going to have to just accept the facts and stop being in the dark about it. He also said no to any other questions I have asked. He said "No" to Iressa, and "no" to any supplements, "No" to a better diet and so on. He told her to eat whatever she wants. He also said that Iressa isn't effective and not worth it. The one ounce of hope my mom had, he butchered and squashed. Why do they have to be like that? What is wrong with giving people just a little ounce of hope? He's not even giving her a chance!!! I'm concerned after the way we've been treated by the all the doctors in my mom's medical insurance group that have pretty much written her off and that it may be a protocal that they follow and the bottom line and are looking at the best way to spend their money (if you get my drift). I know this is a financial issue for the medical group. They are looking at my mom as a statistic, number instead of a fighter and a person. I'm going to try another doctor within her group (Kaiser) but at the same time we are going to UC Davis Med Center where we will get a second opinion and then have her treated there and pay out of pocket. On their website they are very positive about lung cancer and their treatments. Do any of you have any advise on financial aid/grants for this? Can I got to the California health board and report my problems (do you think they will care?)..would they help me? I don't care if it costs me millions, but of course, I don't have millions sitting in the bank. Any of your feedback would help.

Natalie,

Believe me, you are not alone. We had the same luck with my mom's first doctors who basically just wrote her off, even though there didn't appear to be any tumors! Luckily, we found a more compassionate oncologist who offered us hope from day one, saying "This is still winnable". It's been 10 months and my mom has just finished her final chemo(hopefully it's the last ever). I'm thinking about talking to a publisher about her story.

One woman wrote about her ordeal with Kaiser here:

http://www.cancerguide.org/nparra_story.html

Natalie,

I'm so sorry I don't have specific information to answer your questions about insurance. I just wanted to let you know that I am in your corner and am totally affronted and disgusted by the way your poor mom has been treated. Good luck with future opinions and doctors!! I'll be praying for you and your mom.

• 3 weeks later...

My Dad first went to Doctors in Flordia before he returned to PA for treatment. He had to return to PA due to his HMO..but it has been a blessing. His team of Doctors in FLA were gloom and doom. They said 2 to 4 months and basically accept it and tell you kids in PA good bye...but my Dad is a fighter...We called every nurse we knew in the area and he went to their recommend oncologist. He saw her today and LOVED her. She was honest but encouraging and hopeful. She told him to fight and she would help him. He is like his old self today after that appointment. GET NEW DOCTORS!!! Your Mom deserves better than these losers are giving her. She needs strong medical partners in this fight.

Natalie,

my mom has also 3 brain mets and 2 lymph nodes but nothing else. He has told her she is fightable and radiostatic surgery would be an option if total head doesn't zap it all.

GET ANOTHER DR>

call ACS or ALLACSE ask them about programs for people without insurance or clinical studies or anything thay they know of. they may be able to help you find other hospitals/Onc's that take her insurance. Dont stop looking. Get your local news involved if you have too. Great things come out of the underdog stories.

get mad and get even and prove to that butt wipe doctor that your mom is gonna live.!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Natalie

When I was first diagnosed my HMO refused to let go to a major cancer center in Chicago. With the help pf my father, we have pretty much gotten what we wanted, however it has been a horrible fight and uphill battle with them. Basically we started by putiing an article in the paper about how my HMO treated me from the beginning. That got an immediate response frm the HMO. Then he looked a their website and started calling the offices of the big wigs. This has han some effectiveness. They will still fight against you, recently they rejected my center because I couldn't be in the trial anymore but referred me in network and theat might have actually been better. So, don't just drop your HMO if you have any questions e-mail and I will put you in contact with my father he was very mean to the insurance co and It was great. But he will have ideas on how to helpyou