after so much good news... I finally got some bad news today

JoyceH

I haven't posted in a while, though I do hang out a lot. I love the encouragement and support I feel through everyone's posts. I got the results of my ct today. My tumor has grown to 5 x 2.5, and it looks like I've got some new spots. I'm not happy about this news, needless to say. I cried all the way home while driving. I guess I shouldn't have gone to the oncologist by myself! All this time I have been getting great news, shrinkage, improvement, and now this???!!! I'm so upset about it. What I guess I'm asking for is a little cheering up today. I'm starting Taxol next week. Well, first I'm getting a bone scan next Thursday for some pain in my hip. Hoping it's nothing.

I just got back from a wonderful trip to Hawaii 3 weeks ago. It was so beautiful! My sister and I left the kids and the husbands at home, and we even rented a Mustang convertible for 2 days, and drove all around Oahu. It felt like we were in heaven!!! I felt so great, had so much energy and was so happy. When I was diagnosed last August, I was given 9 months to live.... I spent that "last month" in Hawaii!

Thank you for reading this.

Joyce

Guest Phyllis

I am sorry you got this bad news, but taxol is a good drug and should work well. There are still a lot options for you so things should be fine. Hang in there.

Since you never smoked, maybe ask the Dr about Iressa or Tarceva.

They work the best with women who have not smoked and BAC.

My mom never smoked and had a rare form called neuroendocrine carcinoma. It is supposed to respond well to the combo of CPT-11 /cisplatin.

Have you every gotten a 2nd opinion on the pathology report

Joyce,

The tumor is still smaller than it started out to be, and the difference is within measurement error. Do not be distraught!

I'm glad you enjoyed a great vacation.

Now you just have to focus on getting rid of what's left of the tumor.

Starting a new chemo, good time to invoke positive imaging and a few other things, face the nasty down for good. You can do that!

Sincerely, I am sorry you got news that upset you. Still it's better than it was, so focus on that and keep going.

Hang in there.

Prayers, always,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

I have been wondering about you! I am so glad you posted. Your trip sounds great, good for you for running away from home with your sister :P .

John has given you some excellent advice (as always). Keep us posted.

I'm so sorry, my husband is going thru about the same things you are. He is on a new chemo and we hope its kicking butt! Its just not fair for you, you never smoked and you are so young. You can fight it and win. Keep on fighting and don't give up! Take care, and I am praying for you! :P

Tess

Joyce,

Im so glad to hear that up to this point youve had great news. Also that you went to Hawaii (Im jealous). The fact that youve had a little set back is just proof that this disease is a rollercoaster ride. Im sure you will be back on the "high" end soon. Good luck with the Taxol...

Jamie

Joyce,

You have so many positives in your corner that my hopes are very high about your getting this under control again. I know what an emotional upset that kind of news can be and I am glad that you had a lovely trip to renew you physically and mentally for the next step. I will be watching for your progress and pray that your feelings of sadness will soon be eclipsed by desired response to your next treatment.

Peace,

Margaret

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Joyce, sometimes when the mass shrinks as the necrotic cells are absorbed into out bodies - the mass shifts and it's harder to measure. It doesn't necessarily mean it's growing.

Here's hoping for you.

Cat

Joyce-

Drat the latest news, anyway :evil: ! Hoping the next round of ingredients shows improvement again. Try to stay positive and know that prayers are going up. Hawaii sounded wonderful...a respite and treat. Make plans to go again as soon as possible!

Hi Joyce,

Sorry to hear about your set back. Try not to let it get to you. I know it's hard. Take it one step and one day at a time. Stay positive/focused and keep going forward. I had Taxol and had good results with it. My thoughts and prayers are with you for good results. Peace, take care and God Bless.

Rich

Joyce:

Hey, I was re-staged from Stage I to Stage IV April 18, 2003. I spent all last summer on Chemo (Carbo/Taxol). Found a spot on my liver November 2004. Went on clinical trial (ZD6474 vs Iressa) December 03 thru mid-January 04. Have had stable scans, every month since January. Latest scan was on May 18 and had no change from the previous scans. I have overcome lymphatic mets and liver mets, all within the past 12 months.

Hang in there. Keep a positive attitude. Remember your friends. Pray for your medical team - they are the ones caring for you, and let us pray for you. Remember God sent you the best medical care possible. He also sent you many friends who will support you as you navigate this "slight bend in the road".