looking 4 lung removal surviors

ewmray

Hi Ray, My husband had his surgery in November last year, whole right lung too. He is doing very good, but it has been quite a journey for both of us. I think he would like to talk to another guy and it would be good for him to "meet" others that have gone through this. Please PM me and and I will try and put you two together. At the present, I don't think he would 'chat' on this forum, but it sure has helped me alot. I just posted for the first time here last week. I have learned alot from the caring people here who can give you answers that you can't find anywhere else. Hope you are feeling better soon. I will ask him to email you directly also.

DonnaB

Hi Ray,

My dad has not had the surgery as of yet, but is going in for biopsy tommorow to hopefully get clean results, and then surgery.... Anything I should be asking our surgeon??? We never know what we should be asking! Any advice welcomed

Jamie

Hi Ray.

My name is David and I had my left lung removed 27 years ago when I was 19 yrs old. I can probable answer many questions you may have, especially when it comes to physical activities and limitations (there are no limitations). I'll email you.

David P.

Hi, Ray,

I had the remainder of my right lung removed one year ago today. Friday will be the 5th anniversary of my first Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. I was 44 when I was diagnosed and had the first of three thoracotomies. I intend to celebrate my 50th birthday in the Fall. It's a wonderful thing to be a "Half Century Fay". :)

I still have pain from last year's pneumonectomy, but you know what? I don't care. I am alive. THAT I care about. I was diagnosed just before my middle son graduated from high school. And I've lived to see him receive his Associates Degree. My youngest daughter was a 16 when I was diagnosed. I've seen her graduate High School and complete 2 years towards her degree in Natural Sciences. I DO have limitations as a result of the surgeries and the chemo and the cancer itself (yes...I have recurrent cancer in several areas), BUT....they are merely limitations. All that means is that I have to find new ways to do what I want to do. I may have to change my mind about WHAT I want to do, and I may have to ask for some assistance in doing what I want to do, but over all I can still do things I want to do. And that includes singing. I can't hold a whole note these days, but I can still belt out a tune. And one of my favorites is "It's a Wonderful World".

So welcome.

Fay A.

HI RAY,I had my whole left lung removed mid-June 2003.I've also had radiation and chemo to tumor in right lung.I still have some pain and discomfort but it's worth it being alive.I'm also pretty active.I wear oxygen and still go fishing,play golf,do yard work,shopping etc.If I'm able to I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.(takes a long time to type tho)

Hi ewnray, I only had my right upper lobe removed but I still want to welcome you. I know several that have had total pneumonectomies of one side and are doing fine. Again welcome and keep us posted. Donna G

As you can see from the above posts there are some amazing individuals here who never get taken advantage of by life but instead they take advantage of life....it's awesome to be a part of this group. At any rate, my dad just had his entire rt lung taken out 1 month ago. Besides some issues with fluid rentention (around the heart and lung), which by the way seemed to have resolved themselves, he is doing quite well. He has not been on any narcotic type pain meds since two weeks post surgery and he is not on oxygen either. He does keep it handy just in case but he is determined not to have to use it unless absolutely necessary. He relies on me to get information from people on this board as to "what is next" in his new journey as a one lunger. So I wish I could hook him up with you so he could talk with you about your experience vs. his. He is (was :wink: ) a IIIb squamous cell and was only supposed to have his rt lower lobe taken out and for some reason which I don't completely understand yet, 3/4 of his lung was just decimated ( i say because of radiation but I have no confirmation on that at all so...) they took his whole lung out and he was just a little surprised to find that out!! :shock:

The bottom line however is he is grateful to be alive and given a second chance and intends to do everything he can so says he... and I hope he does and I hope you do too!!! Welcome to this board and I hope you find all the support and information that you need here!!