"Degenerative changes"

Hebbie

I was just looking at the faxed copy of my latest CT Scan report -- the scan is clear, but one line is jumping out at me:

"Minimal degenerative changes are seen in the spine. There is no evidence for bone metastasis."

I'm not a doctor but the word "degenerative" doesn't sound good. Anyone else ever had this on a report? I'm going to check w/ the oncologist, but thought I would start here.... :roll:

The main thing to feel good about is "There is not evidence of metastasis"

Minimal Degenerative changes probably means a little osteoporosis or something like that, though I am not a Dr.

Just ask the Dr but I think the scan seems good

John

http://www.screeningctisus.com/articles ... g_ct3.html

Spine

All patients develop some degree of degenerative change in the spine over time. This will vary from significant osteophytes and spinal stenosis to minimal degenerative changes with small osteophyte formation and areas of increasing sclerosis. Please note that minimal degenerative change in the spine is not uncommon. It needs to be recognized as such without the need for further work-up.

BTW - you could ask the doctor also about how sensitive/specific a CT scan is compared to a MRI or a bone scan.

Again I think it sounds good, but keeping informed is always good

Lytic bone metastases must be greater than 1 cm and have destroyed 30-50% of the bone density 3 in order to be seen by x-ray. It is also difficult to distinguish between metastases and benign lesions such as Paget's disease or osteoporosis on plain film. On bone scan, radiolabeled bisphosphonates are taken up by in areas of bone formation but not by the tumor cells. CT is more specific than bone scan and can distinguish between osteolytic and osteoblastic lesions. MRI is the most sensitive method of detection bone metastases because cells can spotted before local bone reaction has occurred.

Metastatic bone lesions can be described as osteolytic, osteoblastic and mixed. The osteolytic lesions are most common where the destructive processes outstrip the laying down of new bone. New treatments with medicines that may block bone lysis by tumor cells are currently in clinical trials. Osteoblastic lesions result from new bone growth that is stimulated by the tumor. Microscopically, most lesions are mixed.

I actually had a spinal MRI done in February for some back pain and it was fine. That is why I was so surprised by the remark on my CT report.

Thanks for the info John, it did ease my mind a little, but I will go ahead and check with the doctor!

Hi Hebbie, my mother and MIL both have what is called Degenerative Disk Disease in their spines. A quick search on the internet gives this:

"For most people with low back pain, an injury doesn't just happen.  Instead, over the years, the stress your back has been subjected to begins to take its toll.  The repeated sprains and strains and overuse add up and cause a slow degeneration of the disks of the spine."

That is probably what your dr. is referring to. Good luck. Sounds like yours is mild and nothing to worry about.

Ditto Joe! Heather, it is very normal - I'm 21 years older than you, but started getting that degenerative word a long time ago. I've got degenerative this, degenerative that, and degenerative everything else in all my various reports - especially in my back - my back HATES ME!!

Not to worry!

Love,

Peggy

Heather,

In what area is this degeneration? Is it in the area in which you were radiated? I don't see how one could undergo radiation, and not receive some damage. And like was mentioned by Joe, just the natural process of aging causes degeneration.

Cheryl

Heather:

I think your report was good news!!!!!!! I'm sure that they always comment on degenerative status as it pertains to osteoporosis, especially in women.....yours said minimal, which I'm sure is good news....

You are passing all your tests with flying colors right now--celebrate! And keep up the good fight.

PS--I know how you feel though--I don't want to see anything except, "This woman is in perfect health." on my reports. Of course that would never happen right now.

Heather,

That is a good report, enjoy.

John gave the good answer so did the others.

From age 30 I started to degenerate in all main

parts of my body, now when I get my results

the remark is in the limit of normality, I am

76 years old and very active degenerated or not.

xo

J.C.

Heather,

Ditto everyone else. My dad's report said the same thing, it basically means aging and we all age, even in our 20s and 30s!

I just wanted to throw in the ditto b/c the more dittos the better, especially when it is something good to ditto :):)

Heather-

I agree that the report sounded good. The onc explained to me that the radiologists who read the scans discuss all anomolies they find (partly as a hedge against being sued for malpractice). I had to laugh at Dave S's brain evaluation and offer the following from my latest CT:

Colon full of stool, query constipation
:lol: LOL!

This aging thing has its own "moments" apart from the CANCER! 8) My husband delighted in letting friends and family know that what he has long suspected has been medically confirmed...namely, that I am full of $#i†:!::oops::shock::?:wink:

Let us know what the doc says!

Hi Hebbie,

I have been told I have degenerative bone disease but I guess it has nothing to do with cancer. I am a lot older than you, age 57 and it it probably the common arthritis and osteoporosis that comes with age. I do notice that predisone, advair and others cause more osteoporosis. My poor aunt does not have cancer but her bones are snapping like twigs from the predisone that was used to treat her asthma. She also had bad polio, the paralyzing kind when she was young. Hope you will be okay.

Sharon