Anyone treated with Gemzar/Navelbine?????

DianeR

Hi All,

My dad has had 4 cycles of carbo/taxol. He just got the results from his Bone, CAT and PET scans and they were not good. He has progression with new lesions in multiple lymph nodes, bones and left adrenal gland.

My dad is such a strong person and is not ready to give up. (This is only one of the 50 million reasons I love him so very much.) His oncologist has switched his treatment to Gemzar/Navelbine. I was wondering if there is anyone else who has had this chemo and could give me some info

on it.

I just hate the feeling of this being out of my control and unable to help him. I want so much to be informed as much as I possibly can. With this information I am able to ask questions to the Drs. and give better information to my dad.

This website has already helped me so much. Please if anyone has time for an extra prayer, please say one for my dad. He is such a great person and I want to help in any way possible. THANKS!

Diane

Guest Phyllis

What a coincidence. I am just finishing my fourth round of carbo/taxol and sweating bullets about my upcoming CT scan. My oncologist at the beginning was like well the carbo/taxol will stop working and then we will switch to gemzar/navelbine. I wish he had not said that. That is why I am stressed out. But my friend had the same thing. She had so many rounds of carbo/taxol and was then switched to gemzar/navelbine. The impression I got was the carbo/taxol would hopefully kill or shrink some of the tumors with the hope of gemzar/navelbine working in different ways on different tumors. They are both strong drugs so that is reassuring. My doc also said that we still have a lot of options left.

My husband had 6 treatments of Carboplatin & Gemzar: one week with both, one week with gemzar only and one week off. This was over a 3-month period. No hair loss! /some nausea.

I looked up gemzar at the time and printed about 25 pages on the drug from the pharmeceutical company's website.

:arrow: Here is a link: http://www.gemzar.com/index.jsp.

It helps to read as much as you can about what drugs are given, as not all side effects are always discussed. Our cancer center at Cedars Sinai had card on all the different types of chemo drugs, with brief synopsis. I am sure you could do a Google search for any other drug, or ask the dr for some printed information. Hope it helps.

Donna B

Extra prayers sent your way! As a caregiver, I have found the book Challenge Cancer and Win! It's a step by step nutrition plan for specific cancers and details food, supplement, and vitamin studies completed. The book could be more updated but still has alot of good information and I feel great about helping him in this way.

My husband did the Taxotere, Paraplatin (same as carbo??) and it didn't work for him. He has done the Gemzar Navelbine now for 4 weeks. Its some wicked stuff. His body aches bad, I just hope the cancer is being destroyed!! You might see if he can take Celebrex or Vioxx with this chemo. It does help some. My husband's blood counts have also gone down. White and red BC. We won't know if its going to work until the next CTscan on June 7th! Praying that it works, and praying for your dad too. Wish you all the best..

Tess

Hi Diane,

My husband had gemzar/navelbine for his second round of chemo, and it was much kinder to him than taxotere/carbo. He, too, had a lot of body aches and fatigue and also had numb toes and some neuropathy in his right leg and hip. He was able to continue to work with this combination. One thing about the navelbine is that it is a vein irritant, so they have to be sure they have a nice healthy wide vein when the inject it. If it burns while it's going in, they have to stop and start over somewhere else. That happened to my husband several times and he felt like a pin cushion. At one visit, after the 3rd attempt failed and they were getting ready to go for number 4, he told them to just give it to him and he'd drink it. He is a good one to make everybody laugh.

Prayers for your dad!

Peggy

I had gemzar/cisplatin--didn't have any real problems from the gemzar--tired, but still worked--hair thinned, but just a little. The worst thing about gemzar for me was the burning when they were giving it to you--the good thing was that it was a short infusion--usually only took about 30 minutes or so.

I hope it works--it's one of the newer chemo drugs.......

My sister (49) was dx with NSC Broncheoalveolar in May 2002. She has undergone several rounds of different chemo (gemzar, taxotere, Iressa)

Brain mets (gamma knife & radiation) and is now on gemzar/Navolbine.

She is very fatigued from it, and has lost a great deal of weight.

No appetite and no ambition. Sometimes, we skip a treatment because of blood counts. She has had two rounds and we will now have a CT scan of lung to determine if this is doing any good or not. Navelbine is very strong and does cause fatigue, more so than Gemzar. My prayers go out for your Dad and you. Keep up the fight. I am a five year breast cancer survivor, so there is hope.

I was dx with adenocarcinoma in 5/2001. Initially had Taxol/Carbo, had horrible side effects but had good response. Had RFA in 1/2002, which put me in remission for over a year, with reoccurance i n 3/2003. Started again on Carbo but had a anaphylatic reaction. Then I was placed on Gemzar/Navalbine. The gemzar really wiped out my bone marroe and had to get monthly blood transfusions, but that, along with radiation put me into remission again. I finished up with that treatment in 8/2003 and have had no disease discernable. Gemzar is good stuff, but it is very rough, at least on me. But, I told my physician to hit me with everything he had and boy, did he, But I am glad. Good luck with your treatments.