Weight Gain

Rileys mom

Did anybody GAIN alot of weight during chemo. I gained 30 lbs. My Dr. said that most of it is due to the steroids I was given as a pre-med, but I'm thinking I did a little too much snacking and not enough moving! Did anyone notice dramatic weight loss after treatment? just curious.

Riley,

When I was on chemo I had steriods given prior to treatment and I had quite an appetite. I gained some weight but not quite as much as you have. Now that I am off chemo for a bit my appetite has deminished. I would not worry about the weight gain, that is the least of your worries.

Deb

Yes, I gained weight during chemo--I think it was all the inactivity during surgery, recovery, and then chemo. Besides the steriods, which gave me a big appetite, then there was that little quitting smoking factor with me --and age.

I think now if you watched it and got some moderate exercise, someone as young as you are should be able to take that extra weight off. I would also like to add--don't worry too much about it--live your life and the weight will take care of itself.....

Yes! I gained about 40 lbs, due in part to steroids with the chemo and then a course of steroids to combat pneumonosis(?). To begin with I didn't have an apetite and my husband gave me a box of chocolates and told me to get these into my stomach if nothing else........well before long my apetite came back and if it didn't move I ate it ( if it did move I caught it first and then ate it.)

After an alergic reaction to carboplatin I was switched to Cisplatin and developed a craving for ice cream (which I do not usually eat very often) and was eating it by the gallon. My dr said that he had come across this before with cisplatin. Anyone else noticed this

I'm still fighting to get rid of the weight but figure getting rid of the cancer was more important than regaining my girlish figure.

Good luck getting it off and being cancer free

Geri

I did NOT do chemo, but have been steadily gaining weight (through exercise and dieting, STILL gaining) since last summer... Have your doctor check your thyroid level. Chemo and/or radiation can really screw it up - mine's been "slipping" for a while and finally hit a point where I'm on medication to "fix it".

Just another view...from the chubby side of the couch...pass the Oreos and milk... :wink:

Becky

I had radiation that hit my esophogus so I went for a few weeks without eating. I have lost 70# and now seem to be holding it about the same (Up 2# one week, down 2# the next). My DR has told me he doesn't want me to lose anymore (First time in my life they have said THAT). I only have steroids one day a week with my pre-med and I DO eat like a horse that day. I guess I am glad thats all I get, lol.

God Bless,

MO

I gained with my chemo as well. Was on carbo/VP16 and the steroid they gave me increased my appetite. I had lost weight prior to chemo after the surgery but quickly gained it all back plus some with chemo. Since the chemo I still find I have a great appetite. I blame the quit smoking part of all of this, but in reality I just eat too much and don't get enough exercise. The radiation made me short of breath and exercise is more difficult but I could do alot more than I do. I have just been enjoying food and taking it easy. I have made up my mind to get more active so that I feel like doing all the things I want to do. I don't worry about the weight. I am alive and I feel fairly great. That is about all I can ask for. I wish you the best and want to say that your little girl Riley is a little doll.

Nina

I seem to be the minority here -- I actually LOST weight during radiation/chemo -- between surgery, my burnt esophogus from radiation and the chemo nausea, I lost almost 30 pounds. I was pretty weak for a while, but after recovering, I adopted a ridiculously healthy way of eating :roll: which keeps my weight at a steady place, but doesn't exactly pack on the pounds.

As many have said though, it could very well be the steroids, and I am sure that once your body levels out from all the abuse it has been taking, things will return to normal!

Guest Phyllis

Hi, I gain weight during chemo due to fluid retention, increased appetite, etc. due to steriods. Thalidomide also caused me to gain weight.

Dave gained a TON of weight during his chemo. The doc said that the anti-nausea drugs they give you now are so good, but that you still have a bit of "low level" nausea that makes you want to snack all the time to put something on your stomach. Add to that the total inactivity. Dave did get out of the house every single day, but he spent most of his time exhausted in his recliner.

Frankly, I have gained a ton of weight, too. We had a date every night, him in the recliner, me on the couch, with our ice cream or oreos. How romantic.

One day we'll do something about it, too!

Karen C.