Soooo tired....already. Is this normal?

Addie

This past week was emotionally draining....so I'm sure the stress is a large part of why I feel so tired now. Lots of tests done....and waiting for results is never easy.

On Friday night, my internist called after talking to the radiologist following my abdominal CT, the last test. He left a message as I was out for a bit....so I came home to the message that aside from three cyst-like lesions (on ovary, kidney and adrenal gland) that will require follow up ultrasound....the radiologist is convinced that there is NO evidence of metastatic disease!

All my tests have been clean, and my internist confirms that I am limited stage.

The relief opened up the flood gates. I cried more Friday night than I have since all of this started. And then yesterday around 2:00 I told my hubby I was going to lie down and nap. I literally never got up after that! Spent the whole afternoon and evening on the bed, napping, dozing, reading a little and then napping some more. DH brought me dinner on a tray. I just felt completely wiped out!

I'm still tired today. I know a lot of it has to just be that emotional release of pent up anticipation over test results....plus the apprehension that remains for what is to come. It doesn't help either that I have chronic fatigue and am hypothroid, I'm sure. :roll:

But has anyone else felt this overwhelming tiredness even BEFORE they started treatment? I so want to have a little reserve of energy heading into treatment....but cannot imagine how to acquire it. I do move around during the day...except for yesterday! But I feel so drained of energy already and even Ambien isn't giving me any more than about 4 hours of decent sleep at night.

Any suggestions out there? Or am I doomed to drag my way thru treatment? :cry:

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. You are so emotionally drained after all the tension and tests and doctor's visits.

Now that there is a plan coming, I hope you get some rest and get yourself into "battle mode".

Best of luck

Hi and sorry we could not meet under better circumstances.I believe the tiredness your having is due to all the stress your under with the unexpected problem in your life.My Wife was recently dxed with possibly stage4 sclc and she has now finished her second round of chemo-cisplatin/vp16 for 3 day's then 3 week's off.Thursday was day 3 and all she want's to do right now is sleep so your right in wanting a reserve for energy.My advice would be to eat as much healthy food and lot's of vegetables and fresh fruit's you can before you start treatment so as to give your body a immunity boost.After my wifes first round and she felt like eating again we really pushed the food thing so as to prepare for what is now going on.She is also now taking Astragalus which you can buy at most natural food store's.It is suppose to enhance your T cell's and according to a report out of China people taking this Herb with their regular treatment are showing a 2 times more survival rate and our onocologist after being showed the herb said he had no problem with her taking it. So keep up the good fight and BELIEVE>>>>

Larry H

Addie,

I think that emotionally... your wiped. I know whenever Im stressed, I feel tired. I think when your mind is on overload, your body says slow down. Take a break, rest while you can, you deserve every single minute of it. If you keep your mind and emotions healthy...i believe this road your on, will be that much easier.

Jamie

I strongly agree with everyone else who posted. Emotionally you are shot right now and that is completely normal. Stress can take a horrible toll on your mind and body and it will take you a few days to build up your "psyhcological strength" again. In the meantime, eat well, don't fret about being tired (as it will only add more stress). Relax, BREATHE and take comfort in the fact that things are looking positive. Love, Sharon

Thanks for the input on this one. It seems easy enough to KNOW that stress adds to all these "symptoms"....yet under the circumstances, one can't help but think it's "something else" causing them. :?

Met with the radiation oncologist and oncologist yesterday. Before we start chemo, the oncologist wants an ovarian cyst picked up by the abdominal CT, checked out more thoroughly....to be sure it's not another primary. I've seen the films...and even the radiation oncologist is sure it's a cyst....but I'm scheduled for an ultrasound this Thursday....and then likely chemo will start on - he said Monday, but Monday is a holiday so - probably Tuesday.

Radiation will begin with the second cycle of chemo. I am beginning to sleep a little better and my appetite is a bit improved. I'm also not quite so fatigued as I was over last weekend....so I'm pretty sure all of that WAS just the emotional release and relief to find this is limited stage. That feels like good news in an otherwise "not very good news" month!

Guess I'll be getting carboplatin and etoposide...rather than cisplatin. My onc says cisplatin tends to be a little harder on the kidneys and I have a kidney condition he doesn't want to aggravate. Also, the radiation is done just once daily...but the rad. onc says they give a slightly higher dose for the 30 days and have found this to be very effective....as effective as 2X daily radiation, but without the more severe side effects.

I'm really happy with the whole medical team so far. They all have been quite willing to take as much time as we need to get our questions answered and they are positive and informative. The nursing staff too, is wonderful....so while I can't really say I'm "looking forward" to the coming months....I can say I feel like I'm in good hands, all considered....and am ready to fight this!

Dear Addie,

Hi and welcome to your new found family. Sorry you had to find us.

I'm just here to give you some good news and hope. I know of many SCLC SURVIVORS that are LONG TERM SURVIVORS and are doing just FINE! These people are 4, 5, 8, 14 year survivors, so don't think for ONE MINUTE you can't beat this, cause you can!

The beginning of our journey into cancer is always overwhelming and stressful, but this too shall pass.

Stay with us and please know we are always here for you. Your amoung good friends and caring ones at that.

Stay strong and stay with us.

Addie,

Limp with relief now that it's all set to go, maybe , too.?

it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row here.

You seem confident your medical team is complete, supportive, and you're all on the same page. This is so good!

Good luck with the chemo and radiation.

You know we're here for you.

XOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Addie,

Just to give you some support, i have sclc-limited, being diagnosed in April 2002 and to date i'm NED status. I went thru chemo and radiation, the ups and downs come and go, but you'll get thru it. Eat as best you can, rest when you're feeling tired, try and relax, and you'll pull thru!

Joanie