Breast, armpit and arm pain

Guest bbypookins

Guest bbypookins

Hi everone-

Mom is doing OK these days except for serious pain she is having in her right breast, armpit and arm. She has trouble using her arm at all. The pain is severe and the vicodin doesn't help (she takes 2 every four hours, and watches the clock). She says she feels like there is something moving in/under her breast and that the pain radiates from there down her arm. It's not a constant pain, until she moves just right and then it doesn't go away for hours. They have done an MRI, which showed nothing. Last week they did a bone scan but we haven't gotten the results back yet. They also did a CAT scan, but that is just to see how the Iressa is doing. I'm very worried about this pain she is having. She moans all the time and it's frightening. I've heard others talk about a similar pain, but only after surgery, and Mom has not had any surgery. I'm concerned about lymph nodes. Would they be able to see something on the CAT scan? Any advice or comments welcome. Hope you are all doing well.

Kim

My husband is also experiencing severe pain. His is more in his shoulder/arm. We found out last week his pain was caused by 2 1/2 liters of fluid in his body cavity. It showed up on an x-ray - his right lung was collapsed due to the fluid. They drained it but tonight the pain is back and it is severe. HIs pain meds don't touch it.

We never did figure out what was causing the pain; it could have been the tumor swelling wider, it could have been bone mets, but it was not fluid. The most likely explanation was just the shifting of her anatomy as the tumor and the treatments so drastically affected the lung function that everything was being pushed or pulled in different spots than usual. The medicine that helped her the most with pain was celebrex, which is usually for arthritis, I think. No doctor either, but that was our experience.

Good luck.

Curtis

Get the Dr to order something different for the pain. There is no reason for her to hurt like that!

I saw where you wrote she had mets to the bone, maybe that is the pain? You need to insist she see's the Dr and get the results from her tests and if nothing shows up then have him/her refer you to a pain management clinic. There are lots of ways to manage this pain.

Good luck, Cindy