Newly diagnosed withn stage 4 lung cancer

My name is Steve I’m 51 and was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer (T4 N2 M1) last January (03). My Doctor found it on my yearly physical with a standard chest x-ray. It revealed a small spot on my right lung, I had know symptoms of cancer. The Doctor said no big deal we will jut take out that lobe and that will be that. The next thing I knew I was waking up from surgery and the Doctor gave me the bad news that the cancer could not be removed, radiation was not an option because the cancer was around my heart and lungs. He then went on to ask me what my history with smoking and I said none then he asked me about my history with asbestos and again I said none.

At any rate it’s in there and it’s not coming out. Additionally I was told there was evidence of mediastinal adenopthy, pulmonary nodules.

So I started Chemo in late Feb (carboplatin and taxol) , my treatment is three weeks on then skip a week.

I live by my self and have no family but I do have some great friends. I’m on disability from work the Chemo just knots me out. I feel my whole world has just been turned upside down. I don’t have anybody to talk to about this trip I’m on and was hoping to correspond with others who have lung cancer, anyone who might be able to help me with what to expect down the road. It appears that the survival rate of this cancer is about 15% past two years. I used to think I had all the answers now I can’t even make a plan past tomorrow.

I would sincerely appreciate any emails

stevemitchell@seahunt.com

Thanks

Steve

steve,

I am so sorry you have the awful disease. I am a caregiver to a LC person. My mom just was diagonosed this past February as well. She is on the same plane as you. she cant have rad on her chest because the heart was blocking a lymph node with cancer and then 3 legions were found in her brain. Its a tough fight but let me tell you...these people here are fighters. I have been pulled off the floor many times in the short time I have been coming here.

You can fight this and by the grace of god, a cure will be found sooner rather than later.

Hi Steve; my very best to you, sorry you have to be here, but you will find support, knowledge about the disease and most important SURVIVORS. So welcome and glad you found us.

I know exactly what you mean about thinking" I had all the answers and then having my world turned upside down". I was 50 years old when I was dx.'ed with stageIIB NSCLC. I was one of the lucky ones and had my left lung removed over 2 years ago. I'm learning how to become real spiritual, I've found out that God has the control, not me, and it's my faith that many times provided the strength I needed to get through each day.

I'm also a firm believer in getting second opinions and would recommend it, along with getting treatment at a cancer center if at all possible. I also found that it is a good idea to bring a friend or family member with me to take notes and write down questions when I saw the Dr. (too many things get missed due to the anxiety level). Stage IV disease is a battle but it is winable, you will find survivors here and you absolutely do not have to go through this alone, so again welcome.

God bless and be well & feel free to write anytime

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like your doctor jumped in before having tests done. Are you now with an oncologist? Are you at a cancer center?

Many people are NED (no evidence of disease) after having chemo. Plan on being one of them!

Remember: The power of positive thinking can change your life! JudyB

Steve,

Welcome to the rotten roller coaster of LC, but you'll find sooo much love and understanding and support here. Like you, I am a non-smoker and no asbestos exposure, led an active life style, and watched my diet...LC was a HUGE shock! But, believe it or not, I now appreciate the little things in life so much more and and am probably more positive and have my priorities more focused than before LC. We all seem to live from scan-to-scan, but by golly we have HOPE and the support of many people on this message board to rely on. So glad you found us and please keep corresponding...just jump right in when the spirit moves you. It's amazing what you "get back" from interacting with this group.

Steve,

I agree with everyone else. Second opinion (and maybe third) by a good onc at a cancer center. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You will find the best people in the world here, they are supportive, loving and very informative. No question goes unanswered here! :lol::lol:

This is the best place to come to vent or just whine when you need to, but I'm sorry too that you have to be here at all.

Annie

Hey Steve - WELCOME TO THE FAMILY !!! There's 365 of us.

Glad you found this site. It is very comforting to talk to people who really understand. I had my left lung removed 26 years ago. Don't listen to all that 15% crap - if you do, well, you'll probably go down in flames, because you'll be beat before you get started.

In my opinion, here's what you've got to do...

1. Get to know the people on this board, and in doing so, they will help you know your disease -and how to control it.Take time to review all the posts.

2. Don't rely solely on your doctors - do some research on your own - lots

of new drugs and treatments out all the time.

3.BE POSITIVE !!! You know Steve, right up until the moment you die (and

everyone will, right?) you will have been a SURVIVOR. "Hey, I'm still around today, I'm a success." The number of people the doctors have told to "prepare for the end" - including me - who have somehow defied the odds is phenominal. Nobody knows, right?

Take care, and lets talk some more,

David P.

Sorry that you are here. I agree with JudyB that it *seems* like he jumped in too fast. The Dr probably should have done a PET or at least CAT scans of other parts of your body to make sure a operation was the correct thing to do.

That is in the past, so it doesnt matter. But it probably is best to get to a cancer center and *possibly* look at clinical trials.

Good bless,

Guest bobp

Steve,

My whole story is on the new members page from a few days ago. The short version is I am 26 monhs out from a Stage IV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma DX, currently undergoing chemo for the second time and am still fairly healthy. No matter what the diagnosis you can survive a good long time and get much more enjoyment from life.

Like others have said, find a good doctor that you trust and can work with. Do your own research, there are tons of internet resources and if you find abstracts of interesting articles, there are ways to get the full text, either online or from a medical library. You need to be proactive, the doctor has lots of patients to keep track of, you only have one.

Hang in there and good luck!

BobP

Guest DaveG

Steve:

Well, you have found the right place for support, hope, love, comfort, and almost 400 friends to boot.

I was a Stage I survivor, 18 months, until April when i was restaged due to metstatises to my lypmhatic system. I restaged to stage IV and started on carbo/taxol on May 5th, evey 3 weeks for 6 cycles. I just had my 2nd cycle yesterday. Before my chemo yestarday, I had an appointment with my oncologist and the news was good, as the nodes in my neck were no longer swollen. I have a CT Scan coming up on June 16th and hope the news will be even better.

Remember this, the group is call Lung Cancer Survivors for Change, so we are (1) about survivorship, first and foremost, and (2) we are about bringing about change to the attitudes of so many within and without lung cancer. Put the numbers and stats behind you and forget about them. We have many positive things to be concerned about here.

Keep coming back, you are very welcome here. PULL UP YOUR KEYBOARD AND TELL US MORE ABOUT YOURSELF

Steve

Trust me when I say you will never be alone as long as you correspond through postings on this board.

I agree with the rest of the folks here. Don't listen to the statistics. When they first found my lung cancer and could not remove the lung, they gave me 6 months to live. That was 2 years ago. Chemo and radiation were my only options.

Stay positive! Believe in the Power of Prayer. It works.

Good Luck and God Bless

Steve, you've come to the right place. Lots of info and support here, and we're all in this rocky journey together, either as patients or as caregivers. Yes, your world is turned upside down. Cancer does that. It's the pits, but you can get through this, with support. Rely on your good friends and on us here. Hang in there, buddy. Don

Steve, you have definetly come to the right place to vent and learn and be encouraged. I was also recently diagnosed stage IV and on the same chemo that you are, except mine is weekly. Your friends will be a great help to you, it seems. Keep coming here and there is a chatroom on Wednesday evenings here that is wonderful and you can get to know the people a little better. I check in here everyday and find something inspiring or informative each and everytime. You sound as if you are in good spirits...keep that going, stay active as you can, walk, read and don't let any negatives get hold of you. There are so many wonderful success stories...stay focused on that. Cherry45