Thanks for being here

Guest Kristen

Guest Kristen

My father was diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IIB about 2 weeks ago. We're waiting for the results of the PET Scan (due today). The doctor seems optimistic and says it is operable. I just want to thank you all for being here, I have done research on the internet since we found out and everything I read has a down side. I want to thank you for showing me that it's not all bad, things could turn out fine. The funny part is that he is not letting it affect him, he is determined to beat it and I believe that he will. I just have to learn how to be optimistic also, my father is my hero and hero's aren't suppossed to fall. Thanks again for being here. :?

Hi Kristen,

I'm sorry that your father has this terrible disease... My mother has it too... we are waiting for her scan results too.. it is awful... i can't concentrate.. the people her are so supportive and helpful.. I wish you and your family the best..

Praying for you...and sending support your way :)

Laurie

Mom DX with SCLC 10/31/02 and a collapsed lung.

Hi Kristen;

My very best to you and your dad, sorry to here the news; I was dx. with NSCLC stage IIB, squamous type on April 15, 2001 and had my left lung removed on May 2, 2001. That "I can beat it atitude" certainly helps and my message is that you certainly can!! I just passed 21 months cancer free and although the road is rough at times I'm still on it and enjoying the hell out of life today,

Be well and God Bless - keep posting and know your not alone

Bobmc - :lol: just back from sunny Mex. where I got to wack golf balls into the sea of Cortez, Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!!

Guest Kristen

PET scan on my dad shows that the NSCLC Stage IIB did NOT spread (finally some good news). Surgery is next to remove a lobe of his lung. Can anyone tell me anything about this surgery(How it is done, recovery time, risk factor). Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and for being here. :)

You will find a lot of people telling you about the surgery. It was not an easy surgery. I had a lobe removed 21 months ago. The drugs are the good part. He should stay on them through the hospital stay. I tried to avoid it, and my surgeon hollered at me. I gradually was weaned down, and actually off the pain killers within 3 weeks of being home.

The important part for anyone going through surgery is to stay down and rest for the first 2 weeks. Trying to get moving too early will only delay recovery. Believe me, I learned the hard way. And I tell anyone going through recovery to 'PACE' yourself. Do a little, read a chapter. Do a little more, watch some TV.

Life will not be normal for a while. But my surgery was in late April, and I was at the shore in early July, and visting Texas two weeks later.

Read about hospital stay hints.

Let us help.

Kristen, I am sorry that your dad has lung cancer, my dad was dx in Jan 2002. But I will say that I wish he were in the position of surgery being possible, although it is a rough surgery, it seems to be a great advantage. But I can't complain, hes doing alright. Your dads positive attitude will be a big plus. I know that research has shown that when a person gets depressed it lowers the immune system, and I think that you will find his positivity to be contagous. I will keep you and your dad in my prayers. Keep us posted, and find comfort in knowing that there are alot of people out here pulling for you and your Daddy. Take care, Deb

Hi----I had the surgery 6/00 and did not have that much pain---

I was back to work after 2 and 1/2 months---could have come back sooner but I commute 3 hours per day so did not want to push it---

I was in ICU for several days because of a leak in my draining tube---

so my hospital stay was a bit longer until they located the problem--I als did not have lobe separations so he basically had to create one (quite normal I hear) so they did another bronchioscope to find out if they did something wrong when they cut the lobe and stapled it --and it was just the draining machine!!!

when I came home ---I walked up the store ---mopped my floor and was very mobile (could not bend though) stitches a little uncomfortable---and on a woman your breast gets very numb and sensitive for about a yr---

drove in one week----and indigestion was a problem--

I also rested quite a bit---

My Dr said though that I was atypical in that I bounced back so quickly---maybe because I had to as I live alone

best of luck to you and your family---remember lcancer is no longer a death sentence as you can see from this board----

plus support really helps ----thank god for the internet

regards

eileen

One really important thing is to get a 'huggy' pillow. Press this against your incision whenever you have to cough or sneeze etc etc.

Also really do your breathing and walking exercises. It is tough surgery but the doctors told my husband it offered the best chance for a cure.

Bless

Ginny

Hi Kristen,

I, too, was dx. stage IIB with NSCLC in July 2001. I had my upper left lobe removed in Aug. My doctor was fantastic and is one of very few drs. who does a procedure where he freezes the thorazic nerves thereby removing most of the pain. I did not even have to have an epidural for the surgery. I was out of the hospital in 4 days and at a shopping outlet in 7 days (only stayed for 1 hr.). I was back to work full time in 2 1/2 months. It does tire you out. It's important to get plenty of rest. I also sing and am happy to report that I still can sing without any problems. My pulmonary lung function test done 9 months ago shows I have 88% lung capacity even with the lobe removal. So far, I have remained cancer free. I get scans done every 3 months. I've had several scares, but the PET scan has always showed clear.

Best of luck to you and your dad! Tell him to be very thankful that they CAN operate.

Hello again Kristin;

Your dads news is very, very good, I had my entire left lung removed on 5/2/01, stage IIB and I will echo what others have said; take the pain meds when your suppose to, do the breathing exercises, walking and physical exercise but don't overdo it ( I had/have a tough time with this ), stay positive the recovery seams slow but you will get better. Also ASK FOR HELP; I had / have a hard time with this too, think it's a" man thing"; Also, I'm a firm believer in second opinions, most dr.'s are ok with it.

My surgery lasted about 5 hours, post- op the rest of that night, up and walking the next day ( abit wacked but on my feet ), out of the hospital in 4 days , on ox. as needed for 4 weeks, ( it helped at night ); pain meds, tylenol w/cod. for about 6 weeks,

8 weeks after surgery I was hiking through the rainforests of Costa Rica taking pic.'s of wildlife and fishing for tuna, it was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, but I was able to do. I insist on enjoying life today!;

It's been 21 months now, I still get sore from time to time, usually when I'm overdoing it, still need reg. tylenol or advil but that's ok and obviously my breathing is not what it used to be, but I had the entire lung removed and was a heavy smoker. I'm also in pretty good shape and am now 52 years old. I see a med. oncologist every 3 months and have ct scans done of my brain, chest & abdomin every 6 months.

My best to you and your dad and God Bless

Bobmc

NSCLC stage IIB, left pneumonectomy 5/2/01

Guest Kristen

I want to thank all of you for your replies, again you've made this much easier and have made me much more optimistic. It is always better to speak to people who have actually "had it" instead of a doctor who has "studied it". Thanks again for your input and your prayers.

Kristen