test results

After a very stressfull week my H had his first dr. appointment today. The ct results showed a spot that the dr said was about the size of your small fingernail; My H is being scheduled for a pft test next week and a heart stress test if needed. Surgery to remove the area is being scheduled in about 3 weeks. The dr is talking about removing 1/2 his lung--of which I was very upset as he has copd and difficulty breathing and if he doesn't do well on his pft test then he will do vats. I am not familiar with any of these and it seems very scary to the both of us. I ask the dr what would be done when the area was removed and he said that was it no chemo or anything they will just watch him periodically to make sure nothing else shows up. I am so glad my H was enrolled in the elcap program or this might have had a different outcome.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm a little confused with the terms you use but that's just me. :wink:

I will prayer for you and your loved ones that everything turns out well.

Cat

I am sure with the results of the pulmonary function tests, etc they will have a good idea how he will tolerate loosing a lobe of lung. I imagine depending on his medical history and age it is also a good idea to have a stress test but this is an add on , not all of us have had that. Most have had a bone scan and brain scan and biopsy prior to surgery. It has been recommended recently that chemo in addition can be beneficial after surgery to kill any micrometastasis, some still don't recommend it. We will be waiting to hear how all comes out for your husband. Donna G

Bert,

My dad had just learned today that he will be giving up 1/2 a lung too. Im not sure what to expect either, but a PFT test has been scheduled for later next week. Donna G is right- they will have a better idea how he will fare with 1/2 lung gone, and im sure if they think it would be a problem, then they wouldnt remove what their going to. Hope everything goes well...

Jamie

Bert,

When you look at the whole big surgery picture, it's VERY scary - so don't do that. Think of it as removing the "nasty" and being sure that all is gone by taking out a SMALL PORTION of the lung. PFT will give you a better picture of what's coming up - doesn't look like all the balls are in the air yet.

There are people here that have had VAT, I'm not one of them. I had two lobes of my right lung removed (about 55% of the lung) by the archaic method. Pain in healing, but certainly do-able.

I had radiation after surgery because one of the lymph nodes in my mediastinum was positive. No chemo...

If you are not happy with what the doctor had to say, seek a second opinion - you may want to seek one just for peace of mind later...but ALWAYS a good idea if you have doubts.

Best of luck on the tests, may they be passed with flying colors (have him study).

Take care,

Becky

Thanks so much for the replies and prayers, I am still in a daze as is my husband. We are now waiting for an update as to the status of the latest ct scan, the dr. was furious yesterday that it hadn't been read yet but we were assured we would have the results today and if we don't by the time we get home from work my husband is calling. I guess I should have been more clear in my description yesterday for that I apologize I was so upset and not really thinking clearly. I will clarify now and so sorry if this is too long.

My husband was enrolled in the elcap progam for early detection of lung cancer he had a low-dose ct scan in Jan whiched show a abnormal nodule and then a repeat in April with the nodule growing from 8.4 mm to a little over 10mm, with that they did a high resolution ct scan last Monday with a meeting with the dr yesterday. The dr. said he saw no use in doing a pet scan as he was quite positive the nodule is cancer and didn't want to put us through any more testing. At this point he wants to remove half of his lung and if the pft testing is poor he will do a vats to remove a wedge of the lung and some nodes. I am quite concernd because my Husband has COPD and is diabetic too but the dr assured me that if the pft test is poor he will not remove the lobe. I also asked what the other spots on his lungs were and I was told not to worry about them they were just spots--easy for him to say. We both liked the dr. and felt he answered all our questions but you know how that goes when you get home you have a thousand more questions you could have asked.

Hi Bert,

I had about half of my right lung removed and I have Copd, asthma, and emphysema besides the lung cancer. I am fine sitting, just awful short of breath on walking or any exertion. What I'm trying to say is I am going about my daily living. I am 57. I don't know how old your family member is. I'm not doing too bad. It has been nearly four months since surgery. Wish you both good luck!

Sharon