Discouraged......

blondestarbaby

My mom was dx nsclc IV 4/04, with a chest x-ray, chest CAT, and biopsy of nodule on upper chest. Dr. says chemo, radiation nor surgery is advisable at this point. No other areas were scanned for mets, but they 'think' it has already gone to her brain. She suffers from severe memory loss, I think perhaps due to Alzheimers, but her family physician says it is consistent with her age and will not test her (she is 82). Honestly, I believe that she forgets to eat. She weighs 70 lbs. (an 11 lb loss in the past month).

She is in no pain, but is very weak. She is on no meds, except for blood pressure and depression. Hospice tells me that the fatigue and loss of appetite are due to the spreading cancer. For the past 2 weeks, she has not stepped foot out of her house and moves from the sofa only long enough to use the bathroom....I feel so helpless.

Everyone here seems so informed and up to date on meds and treatments......any suggestions?

That about says it all. The first key to battling this is probably going to be increasing your mom's strength and weight. But to give up because she is old is horrible. And in order to battle the cancer, they will have to find out where it is and isn't. But the first thing is to find a doctor who wants to help your mother.

Curtis

Yes, I agree with Curtis. You need a new doctor. I am sure there is something they could do for your Mom. It's not right to treat her this way just because she is older. What are these doctors thinking of, have they lost all compassion, this makes me furious!

Paddy.

Does your mother live with you, alone, or in an assisted living or nursing home setting? I would wonder about the weight loss...if she's home and alone, maybe arrange for Meals on Wheels?

There are tests for Alzheimer's...people regress. My grandmother began eating bathroom soaps, etc. and we had to put her in a home...hygiene was another thing, she stopped bathing and changing her clothes. Not sure if those are "symptoms" your mother is displaying....but it's NOT just memory loss to be diagnosed with the disease, it does progress...(or DIGRESS as the case may be).

I agree with the second opinion...just because she's older is no reason to give up on her if her health is otherwise good (and only taking blood pressure and anti-depressants at her age points in that direction). Seek another doctor, she's getting screwed - just my opinion.

Luck to you,

Becky

I agree with the others. I wonder if the doctor would be so quick to give up on her if it was HIS mother! It never hurts to get a second opinion. At this point it sounds like the doctor and hospice are "guessing" about what's happening to her. There may be things that can be done to buy her time or make her feel better.

Good luck! Please keep us informed.

Pam

I have no idea if anything will change the outcome of your Mom , but I do know that if she had more tests to know for sure what is going on you would feel better about the decision. I really believe that you and your Mom need to know the results of these tests like a brain scan before you accept his "Plan" Perhaps chemo or radiation could be an option age makes no difference. As above I agree weight loss does make a difference, so get some Boost or Resource or even Carnation lnstant breakfast and be sure she is taking something frequently during the day. Keep us posted Donna G

Age really should not make a differance here,while my husband was having radiation, I became friendly with a woman that brought her grandfather in everyday for radiation he was going to be 100 in Oct. he had a little dementia , and they never told him it was cancer just told him that the light would help his pain, he always came in smiling and talking.

I would ask for a second opinion. Don't just let them sweep her under the rug because of age. And ask the Dr. for something that will increase her appetite if she is not too hungry, or start her on ensure and make sure she drinks them.

Rosemary