Crackles, Anyone?

Elaine

Well my Dr office never called back, once again. So I am coming to the board for help. I woke up the past two morinings with what sounded like a bowl of rice crispies in my chest. I have felt weak all week. The crackles seem to disappear once I am up and about. I thought maybe this meant I had pneumonia and needed some stronger antibiotics because I plan to go away for two days and would like to feel ok, at least. I have regular keflex, 500 mg and I guess I will continure taking them but wondered if anyone knew what the crackles might mean? I also had sharp chest pains yesterday that did not seem plueratic, but those are gone today.

I have no fever.

Elaine

Elaine,

Sorry you're not feeling well. Crackles usually mean fluid, and that usually does mean pneumonia if left unattended. What was the Keflex originally prescribed for?

I'd be fuming that my doc didn't call back...i don't know if i could relax over the weekend without knowing if I needed stronger meds

Hope all works out for you....sorry i don't have an answer

Mary

The Keflex was originally prescribed for sinus--was having headaches so instead of brain scan, I got keflex--hah. Well, I left my Keflex in Kansas City, so I had to have him write me another when I got back. IN the meantime, I got my Keflex back and so I have extra that I have been taking for couple days.

Headaches did go away, btw, but like every other pain they came back.....

I just feel uneasy about leaving, I guess. Will wait and see what I "sound" like in the morning.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Elaine, I really don't know. I do know that crackles have been associated with irritation in the lung. I had this after radiation and was told it was the tumor being irritated and breaking down.

The thing is that you mention sharp pain in chest. As I said, I really don't know and I wish to heck your doc had called you back. Sharp pain and crackles have been associated with collapsed air sacs. If you have more sharp pain or feel breathless or dizzy, I don't think it would hurt to take a visit to ER. It's probably nothing and I don't mean to worry you. Bear in mind that I'm kinda goofy from all the news I'm getting and am probably being an alarmist.

Cat

Elaine,

If you are really concerned AND are experiencing sharp chest pains AND your d*mn doctor won't call you back, I like Cat's idea. In fact, if it IS something like a collapsing lung, etc., I think you might want some medical interaction... I don't think I'd be real quick to grab a decongestant (?) and possibly mask some symptoms that would be a "no-brainer" to getting your butt to the hospital...

Hey, all in all, you could AT LEAST pull off an anxiety attack so the insurance backs down and pays it... Collapsed lung ain't nothin' to play with!

Hope you're feeling better soon...

Becky