surgery and SCLC

john

In very rare cases surgery may be used for SCLC. I think they called it "very limited disease"

Indication of surgery for small cell lung cancer based on clinical stage (Meeting abstract).

Abstract No: 1743

Author(s): H. Takei, Y. Ohe, T. Tamura, T. Shinkai, K. Eguchi, N. Saijo, H. Nakayama, H. Asamura, H. Kondo, R. Tsuchiya, T. Naruke, Y. Matsuno

Abstract: Surgery has little impact on long-term survival in patients (pts) with small cell lung cancer (SCLC). However, highly selected pts with limited disease can be cured with surgery. This study attempted to identify the benefit and indication for surgery for SCLC. We retrospectively analyzed survival of surgical cases of SCLC in our hospital. From 1985 to 1994, 49 pts including 40 males and 9 females with SCLC received surgery. Median age at the thoracotomy was 61 years (range 40-80 years). 40 pts were proven SCLC before surgery. Seven were diagnosed as non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and 2 were undiagnosed. 22 pts received chemoradiotherapy (10 pts) or chemotherapy alone (12 pts) before surgery (adjuvant surgery group). The other 27 pts received surgery at first (initial surgery group). Nine received surgery alone, and 18 received post operative chemotherapy. The numbers of pts with c-stage I, II, IIIA, IIIB, and IV determined at the beginning of treatment were 1,3, 9, 2, ad 7 in the adjuvant surgery group, r

John....a question or two re: staging. Everything I've found says that sclc is staged differently....either limited or extensive only.

Yet sometimes here, and in this post of yours....it appears that sclc is staged like nsclc.

Can you explain this to me? This is all very new to me, obviously....but I keep reading to learn and to have intelligent questions to ask my doctors.

As for surgery, my oncologist said that was not an option for me...yet I am limited stage with a 1.5 cm infiltrate and lymph enlargement in the mediastinum. I think the largest lymph node was 3 cm but it was termed "mild to moderate lymphadenopathy".

The finer points of distinction in some of this escape me yet. Can you help clear a few points up for me? Thanks in advance!! :)

I had surgery on my SCLC because I had a eight centimeter axillary lymph node popped up under my arm which was not seen in my CT scan. My oncologist said it was a biopsy but the surgeon said I would be out an hour with intubation so I said no. This onc would not do a needle biopsy and he said I must have the lump out or no chemo. He said it was a snap. It actually was 3 weeks of drainage pump sewn to my skin and no new information. It was and is SCLC. I have found the tests fail on two, scans including a PET scan Check were you can because they have ultimate control and no need to be accurate. They may try and sell more treatment than you may need. We are stuck with what we can get and no one is responsible for death from cancer treatment. They are in the business of seeing people die at a great profit and are hard working to earn the maximum. The oncologist make most of their money as a profit trans-selling drugs, not treating people. Mine is like the grinning proprietor of a market as he watches his cheerful group, each pumping down thousand of dollars of HIS chemo.

Peggy,

You're welcome

Addie,

I think a few people have been pushing for staging SCLC like NSCLC. The argument is that Limited and Extensive is more ambiguous and that people with "very limited" disease may be overlooked for surgery.

http://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/k/chi/ ... n-sclc.pdf

At the bottom of this article the arthor discusses why the limited/extensive staging is rather "limited".

http://www.pul.unimaas.nl/theses/index. ... tenbag.htm