5 Years Ago Today

Fay A.

I had the second fine needle aspiration biopsy using a larger needle. This time the results were postive for malignancy.

It's a long story, but I was erroneously put at Stage I when I was actually Stage IV.

Do you know that from the time I was diagnosed five years ago until my third Thoracotomy in May of last year-during that entire 4 year period-I was never without measurable cancer in my body? I didn't attain NED status until my post pneumonectomy scans done in August of 2003. It was short lived, but it was one of my goals to be one with NED. :wink: I was diagnosed with recurrent disease 5 months later. It is now my goal to be a NERD! (No Evidence of Recurrent Disease).

I mention all of this now, because I am here, alive, five years later. I'm a Stage IV Lung Cancer Patient, and I am STILL ALIVE. During the first 3 years the only thing I had were surgeries. The next year I participated in a Clinical Trial using the drug Iressa. And the next year it was another surgery.

I can't help but believe that even Stage IV Lung Cancer patients will have prolonged lives if surgery is an option. I have Moderately Differentiated Adnenocarcinoma with Bronchioloalveolar Features. It has both aggressive and indolent aspects. I know that histology factors into the survival equation, but still......

Oh....one more thing. You folks have helped me so many times over the past year. I just want to say "Thank You" to those who have posted and opened yourselves up to me. I want to say "Thank You" to those who haven't posted, but sent prayers and good wishes. What you have done matters.....and it is very much appreciated.

Five years from now I'll do this again.

Fay,

Five years from now, I hope you and NED the NERD are keeping company without all the surgeries and not-so-nice things you've had to go to attain that in the FIRST five years.

Will be looking for your post!

xxoo,

Becky

Fay,

This is an awesome accomplishment and I know attained through much blood, sweat and tears. You are an inspiration, not only for your success in battle with cancer, but also because of your fine spirit and intelligent consideration of many aspects of this disease/treatment. We all look forward to your next accomplishments, hanging on a bit to your hem in order to be carried along with your determination.

Heartfelt congratulations,

Margaret

Dear Fay,

Thanks for posting this. For me your timing couldn't have been better. I'm 2 years into my stage 4 diagnosis and was getting a little discouraged because I just can't seem to eradicate the miserable beast. I needed a little encourgaement. I just want to thank you for sharing.

Cangratulations, Dave S

Fay,

You are a true warrior in this fight and a power of example. I'll repeat what everyone else has said, you inspire everyone on this board with your strength, wisdom and determination. I am so glad that you are here...

Look at those two fighting over who is your number one fan in Michigan...

Okay, just to set it straight, Fay, I'm NOT claiming to be your #1 fan in Michigan, I'll claim being your #1 supporter in Michigan! 8)

Keep on hangin' on, you're an inspiration and a shining star. Wish Ty Pennington were a personal friend of mine (oh yeah!) so I could line you up with a crew of 187! You'd be away on vacation and come home to more than you ever expected...

We're all in this together,

Becky

Guest Phyllis

Fay you are the one who does so much. You are the most admirable person. You never complain when you have every right to. You have a great sense of humor and are always there for whoever needs you despite your own problems. I second surgery and it should be more available as an option for Stage IV. I am now going on 3 1/2 years with no remission either. I would love to hear "NED". Take care.

May you have many more anniversaries!

I do get confused, however. Are some of the tumors you recently said you had had for years, benign? Also how did you go about convincing your drs or insurance company to do the surgeries while you were stage IV or was it that they didn't think you were stage IV?

Elaine

Dear Fay,

I have to say for any newcomers just lurking here trying to find some hope they have certainly found it in your post... You are an inspiration to so many not only to those fighting this beast but to family members as well...Congratulations on your five years and I will be looking forward to seeing a NERD in your life too...