Big Sigh . . . . I'm the friend in need

stand4hope

Becky posted under spirituality about a friend that needed prayers, and that friend is me. (THANK YOU, BECKY!!!).

My husband's 3-month scans were scheduled for today, however, we contacted his onc last week because he has been having excruciating pain in his shoulder. The onc ordered a PET Scan for Friday and we got those results today. The results were not good. The cancer has spread to the clavicle and humerus bones in the shoulder, as well as numerous other places in his body. My husband just about had me convinced that it was just bursitis, so we were both pretty devastated. I was shocked at the extent of the spread throughout his body as well. The onc ordered an x-ray at the same time he was already scheduled to get the chest CT so he could see if there were any fractures or the possibility. The radiologist told the doctor there were no fractures and it didn't appear that one was imminent, so there will be no surgery for now, just radiation for the pain. That is good news. We meet with the onc again on Friday to get the brain MRI and chest CT results, and he will also begin Zometa at that time for the bones. The bad news is that my husband took it very hard. The good news is that he has no other discomfort in any other areas, he feels good, is eating well and has maintained his weight. Rest assured, we are both fighters and fully intend to continue to fight this monster with everything we can throw at it.

I was reluctant to post this because I don't wany anyone to be discouraged. We knew going into this that my husband's cancer was quite advanced because of the number of brain mets. I know there are many, many others on here that are Stage IV NSCLC and I want you to promise me that you won't be discouraged with this post. I love you all, pray for you all, and yes, we would appreciate your prayers for us very much.

God bless you all,

Peggy

Dear Peggy,

I have been in your shoes too many times. Everything seems to be static and then WHAM you feel like you have been hit in the heart.

I don't have any answers. I allow myself a short wallow and then I go tape my hands and put my boxing gloves back on.

It is so very, very difficult to watch the person you love, who just recently was so strong and protecting, fight this dam* disease.

If thoughts and prayers help, the road should start to get smoother.

Dearest Peggy

I am sorry that the news was not better. Sounds like there is a plan in place. I hope the radiation helps to alleviate your husband's pain. Please don't worry about posting when you get some discouraging news.Through this journey there are many ups and downs.(unfortunately) That's why we are all here...........to share the joys and the sorrows. I am praying for your husband as well as for you!

Angie

Peggy, glad you "owned up" and let us know. Please do not be reluctant to post news, good or bad, or to vent. That is what we are here for. We know some will have good news, some will have bad news, and some will be on hold at any given time. We all understand that. If we get reluctant to post because the news is bad, we will lose the effectiveness of this board. Please do not hesitate in the future. My prayers are with you both. I am glad to see radiation will be done on the bone mets -- that was very helpful in controling Lucie's pain. And also the Zometa -- that has been very effective for Lucie. Blessings. Don

Peggy,

Never ever be afraid to vent or post in fear that you will discourage anyone! We all have ups and downs with this disease andthe purpose of this website is to vent and share your fears and the ups and downs. So please post frequently and say whatever you want! :)

I am so sorry about the scans :( I pray that the radiation helps!

Peggy,

Sorry about the last news, but the prayers will still

be going your way.

New treatment will take care of the pain and keep us posted

we always want to hear the good and the rest of the situation.

We all are here because of sickness, us or someone near, so

we stick together and try to help each other.

J.C.

Peggy.....nobody wants what feels like a setback in a fight like this...but they happen. You both have the fighting attitude though...and there IS some good news in this...that there are no fractures. Plus....you have all of our prayers coming your way too, you know.

I'm new here...but I can understand your hesitancy to share what seems like discouraging news, even though it's often the reality for many. The road this fight takes us on is rarely smooth, it seems. But a part of what inspires the hope and courage in all of us is hearing how people face the setbacks and triumph over them....continuing to fight and do well.

This is such a wonderful community. When I'm feeling a bit scared or down...I know I can find comfort and courage here...and always the generous prayers of others.

Know we are here when you need us to be....and even when you don't. Know we are praying for better days, better results, better news ahead.

PEGGY, A big heart felt IM SORRY your going thru all this.Glad you turned to Becky for support and as Don said we are all here for you to lean on,cry with,& whatever whenever.Please talk to us anytime for any reason.Hope there is some relief of pain for your husband soon.No one should have to endure pain this way.Hang in there and keep your chin up.It is very hard to be a caregiver I respect you.

Peggy,

Sorry to hear the news about your hubby. Praying that radiation and the Zometa will give him relief. You and your hubby are always in my prayers. Becky, thank you for your posting, you are such a caring and thoughtful person...

Blessings, prayers and hugs,

Karen

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful words of encouragement. I won't deny that the past two days have felt like a nightmare. Things had been going so well, and I was just flattened with this news. Actually, the results were much worse than I even posted, but I just can't go there with all of that right now. I just want him to get rid of this pain and we'll deal with the other things after this first hurdle is cleared.

The first step will be the Zometa on Friday. The radiation will begin on Tuesday morning next week 6/8. I posted under "General" tonight about how this radiation is actually going to make the pain disappear.

The second step is meeting with the onc on Friday to decide how to deal with the "rest of the story". Before this week, I was feeling the anxiety like everyone else does about waiting for scan resuts, but now, there is no anxiety about getting the results - only a sense of urgency to get on with more treatments - FAST!

I think I responded to all of you in PMs, but if I missed someone, I'm sorry. I especially wanted to comment on chloesmom's response. She said "where there's life, there's hope." She is absolutely right. Where there's life, there IS hope. There is ALWAYS hope. Even when "they" say, "there's NO hope" - There IS still hope. That's why I picked the name stand4hope. I do stand for hope. When my mom was dying, I said something in the room that I shouldn't have said. It wasn't anything real bad, but my husband called me aside and said I shouldn't say things like that because if mom could hear me, she still had hope. I will NEVER, NEVER forget him saying that. Whatever it was that I said, and I really don't remember, really was not anything that I felt guilty about or made me feel bad, but I just never thought about how someone in their final hours would "still have hope" - but THEY DO!!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO READ THIS - ESPECIALLY ALL YOU GUESTS. Please sign on and give yourself a name that nobody will know if you want, but please sign on and talk to us. We're all here to help you.

Love,

Peggy

Peggy,

I can only imagine how you must feel hearing that awful news. The only thing I can offer is prayer and and ear to listen. We are all concerned for you and will be there for you no matter what the reason for your post. Never feel like you will discourage us...we all know that this road is not paved with gold. There will be bounces and bumps along the way ....some of them devastating..but we all have hope.

You will be in my thoughts. Let us all know how you are doing.

Nina

Peggy, Peggy my Dear Peggy,

Me at a loss for words? thats how I feel .. give me a minute and I'll find them.

You! have been my greatest supporter and when you need the suport I just want to cry. You are such a warm and giving person and have given us all so much support. Why then when you need it dont you give us the chance to give it back?

This board and all it's members has helped me so much that I dont know what I would do without all of them. It's a give and take family here and I know that you know that!

Please come to us when you need us most and when things are going smoothly give us your support as you always do.

I pray for everyone on this board and all others that havent even found us yet but are suffering with this dreaded illness. It's a road none of us wants to travel but are placed upon it to find our way. We find our way through eachother. My heart aches for you, your husband and your son and extended family. It just so happens I have worked with the mentally handicapped for 18 years and the name of the place I work for is "The center of HOPE". There most certainlly is always hope.

I have not been here much myself as I am having trouble dealing with whats happening in my life as well but not because I was afraid to discourage people. I knew when I came back they would be there by my side. I also know whether I am here or not they are praying for my brother and family. We are the lucky ones Peggy, we have found the type of family we would have handpicked if we could. We found a place to share our pain, fears and uncertainty, our joys, hopes and our dreams. Please know that I will be saying extra prayers for all of you tonight and every night.

God bless you all,

Jane

Dear Peggy,

I'm so sorry that your news was not what you wanted to hear. Please know you have all of us here thinking of you and your "hubby'. I saw my mom go thru this same situation with my dad years ago. Somewhere you get the strength and courage to do what you need to do. And that's exactly what my mom has always said, "Where there is life, there is hope". We live by that. Hope, like faith, is a gift.

Nancy

Peggy....you just grab onto that hope and keep hanging onto it....and know you have the power of all our prayers and hope behind you too, as you go forward with this latest news.

All we can do when we feel flattened or overwhelmed, is just put one foot ahead of the other and keep moving forward....with HOPE! I know you are doing that and we're here to help or sustain you in those efforts.

Believe in your user name! You chose it for good reason and it will serve you well....just as it reminds us, too, to hold on to hope. We all understand the anxiety and the urgency....but treatment will be starting soon and we'll all be praying for good results.

We're here whenever you need us...so please come talk when you need to.

Peggy

I don't know what to say, really. I just want you to know I am praying for your husband, son and you, too.

As for discouraging us, as a patient, I know that the news is not always good, and I don't expect to come on here and find a rosy picture. In no way have you taken away my hope.

Elaine