Good Scan News

Guest bessb

Guest bessb

I haven't been posting much lately, have had a couple of bad weeks, the effects of chemo are catching up with me. I was so lucky in the beginning but now I know how everyone else feels. I have had nausea and vomiting for the first time and general malaise. However I read this board faithfully every day and think and pray for all of you all the time. I have to check to see how everyone is doing every time I log on. I am thinking all of you, you are really like a second family to me and I feel blessed to have found you. The wealth of information is priceless.

I had my second CT scan yesterday and I had good results, the first time they were better, 50% shrinkage and this time about 20% with no changes or new growth and I am grateful for that. I was a little disappointed that the results weren't 50% this time too, but I realize that is being a little unrealistic.

However I have made a major decision that I hope I don't regret. I have been going to Yale University and have been on a clinical trial with Irinotecan & Taxol, I am only the second person at this facility to be on it and I have decided to switch from this treatment to the standard chemo treatment for lung cancer. I hope I am making the right decision but my gut tells me to do it and I have to go with that. It just seems to me that things are slowing down with these drugs and there isn't a lot of documentation on results so I think its time. I am going to see a new Oncologist tomorrow for a second opinion. He has a lot of experience and I don't think he will steer me wrong. Also my oncologist at Yale is leaving to move to California so that was part of my decision. Praying I am doing the right thing and for more good results. This whole business is just so scary and mind boggling!

Love and Prayers for all of us fighting this battle.

Bess B

No one knows your body like you do. It sounds to me like you are thinking everything through and being very thorough and careful not to make a snap decision. You've thought about it, you are seeking a second opinion - Whatever you decide will be the best thing!

Bess,

So glad you posted to let us know how you are...the 20% is still improvement and heading in the right direction. I'm sure it is hard to lose the oncologist you have become used to, but your seeking further opinions sounds solid and you just have to go with what feels right to you at the time. Praying for continued strength and wisdom for you and betterment in your progress.

Bess,

I think another 20% shrinkage is Great News! Anytime the cancer isn't growing is good, but shrinkage is great.

I understand that the decisions that need to be made concerning treatment are such important and scary ones, but I am sure you are are following your gut, and you know your body. I also think that seeing another oncologist will reassure you on what choices are out there for you, and what they feel will be your best bet.

I will be praying for you,

Carleen