Bone pain from mets and why radiation works

stand4hope

I was going to add this to Fay's wonderful post today about shoulder pain, but I decided it applies to all bone pain caused by mets, so I've started a new thread.

My husband has learned he now has cancer in his shoulder. We met with the radiation oncologist today and he showed us the films where there is a hole in the bone where the cancer has eaten clear through the bone. He said the radiation would hopefully take away the excruciating pain after 8-10 treatments, but sometimes it takes longer - sometimes up to 6 weeks. I asked him how the radiation was going to help the pain with that hole in the bone. This is the way it works: The bone is trying to heal itself, but the cancer is so aggressive that the bone doesn't have a chance. With the radiation, they kill the cancer and with the cancer out of the way, the bone immediately begins to mend.

I know many of you probably already knew this, but I didn't and thought it was quite enlightening.

God bless you all,

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I didnt know that but do know that my brother had radiation to his back where the cancer had eaten through a bone and has had wonderful sucess with it. He had had back pain he says all his life and learned to live with it. This pain got so bad that it is the way he found out he had lc. He could not even walk and the ambulance came and took him to the hospital. Radiation started right away and the chemo started after the radiation was over. He said he felt better almost immediatly. His back has been pain free ever since. he said he didnt know what it was like not to live with back pain. It was a miracle to him and I pray it is for your hubby as well.

He, also has shoulder pain but has had bone scans that say it is bursistus and he has had several cortisone shots for it and has found some relief. We all breathed a sigh of relief when they said it was not cancer.

I just want you to know that I have great faith in radiation, because I saw it work so well with my brother. My prayers are with you and your family as always.

God bless you all,

Jane