Good news, bad news.

Sam'swifeShirley

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm sorry that I haven't written much lately but that's part of the good news, sort of. I'm back at work full-time and I've got the energy to actually do it, as long as I have my oxygen. More good news, I'm exercising regularly, watching my diet, dropping a few pounds, slowly, and I'm swallowing without pain. I'm getting stronger as we go along.

The bad news - my lungs don't seem to be improving, not getting worse but not improving. I really can't function without the oxygen unless I'm just sitting doing nothing. I don't know that I ever will be able too. The possibly worse news - I saw my oncologist today and he found a two cm node in my lower right neck. He's concerned and so am I. I'm scheduled for a CT/PET on Friday to check it out. A little good news about that. I couldn't believe it but a local independent center, right across the street from my onc's office has just this week put in a CT/PET and they're testing it this week. Not only can I get it done quickly but, get this, FREE. Don't even have to get it approved by insurance.

The good characteristics of the node are that it's freely mobile, firm but not hard, not painful or tender. The bad characteristics are that it's there in the neck of a SCLC patient. To tell you the truth guys, I'm scared. As always, prayers are greatly appreciated. I won't get the results until a week from today when I see Dr. Carr again.

God bless us all.

Sam,

The good news in your post was uplifting...your working and helping others has to be rewarding to you and helps keep your mind from drifting to negative worries which won't change a thing anyway! The exercise and weight loss are likewise positives in your life, and the oxygen you can live with, right? I'm holding on to the affirmatives in your message and praying the node thing is just a passing anomaly. Glad you have the use of the PET/CT and let us know the outcome...waiting is the pits.

Sam -

Glad you're back to working more hours! Helps you feel a little more "normal", and you can actually have a few moments that you think about something besides cancer!

Well, we can climb on top of the "stress" pile together again....I've got a CT scan next Monday evening, and won't get the results til next Friday.

Good luck!

SandyS

Sam:

Focus on the good news. Think of all the positive things you have accomplished and how many people you are helping. When Howard was dx with the radiation pneumonitis your reply gave me the answers I was looking for, as well as the hope. BTW: Howard is doing much better. He is back to work full-time also. There are days when it is hard, but for the most part I think the activity is just what he needed. We are dealing with a "chemo rash" right now, but that too shall pass!

Prayers are coming your way for more good news. Isn't it amazing what the power of prayer can do!!!

Bonnie

Sam,

You are feeling the fear that lives within the hearts of all of us.

But remember this...YOU BEAT CANCER....YOU ARE IN REMISSION....

And you said it yourself "The good characteristics of the node are that it's freely mobile, firm but not hard, not painful or tender. "

That's a very GOOD sign isn't it? If you found a node like that in a patient of yours that had never had cancer....what would you think?

Hang on to the hope Sam. I will be praying....

Hugs,

Thanks everybody. I've come too far to turn back now. This will be nothing I'm sure.

I'm going to try to get outside and do a little farm pond fishing this weekend and get my mind off of all this.

I'll be back in a day or three.

Shannon, I am soooo happy for Mike and you. God is surely on this journey with you.

God bless us,

Sam,

If you have read my posts in Good News you will know that Earl had a small nodule of scar tissue from his tracheostomy.

Our med oncologist was very concerned and immediately got a head and neck doctor to look at it. He too was concerned and took a big slice out of it.

The good news is that it was nothing. Hope you post the same news.

As always, you are in my prayers. You have come so very far on this journey and you know how very important a positive attitude is! I think fishing would be a great mental diversion ! You are a very special person who has been a great help and inspiration to us all. I know that you must feel the strength of all the prayers coming your way!!! Great luck on getting the scan so quickly! Sometimes scheduling can be a real hassle!!!