My recent CT and Bone Scan results

dave s

My Dear Friends,

Thanks to all who have inquired about my recent scans. I've held off because I am still trying to decide what it all means.

On 5/24/04 I had Cts chest and abdomen. results:

1. my adrenal mass grew from 2.8cm to 3.2cm

2. dilated bile duct with gallbladder "sludge"

3. new (since 3/8/04 CT scan) expansile lytic lesion of the 4th right rib

On 6/2/04 I had a follow up bone scan. results:

1. small residual uptake at site of 2 year old radiated bone mets in left hip and left 2nd rib

2. NO uptake at the new right 4th rib expansile lesion

3. hydronephrosis in left but not right kidney

Setting aside the questions raised about the kidney and gallbladder issues, the only interesting thing is the new bone met at the 4th right rib.

This new rib met appeared sometime after March 8th and ate through the rib leaving a gap. Problem is the bone scan failed to detect any cancer at that location. So how could a met agressive enough to consume a portion of the rib in a few weeks now be gone??? The only treatment I've had in this time frame is my IV C which I started April 1st.

I saw my oncologist yesterday and he is just as perplexed as I am. My original reason for wanting the scans was to diagnose the source of my new left shoulder pain. Nothing in these scans provides any explanation. He asked me what I wanted to do and I said let's give it a few weeks and see what happens. So in the meantime if anything changes, I'm to give him a call.

My IV C Dr is increasing my dosage from 50 to 75 grams per IV (still 2 per week).

So I don't know whether to be feeling good or bad??? Isn't this just a grand disease? So many questions and so few concrete answers.....

Best Wishes to all, Dave S

Elaine,

My onc. doesn't seem to know what to think about the rib. He commented that perhaps the bone scan is failing to highlight the cancer in the rib? But I can see he's thoughtful. He used to look down my IV C. He was surely waitiing for me to "come to my senses" and resume chemo. Somehow that attitude has changed subtlely. He would never endorse anything non-approved but he does keep asking more and more questions about it.

The Wichita folks were not making any statements really but I think they were surprised that I had anything that looked remotely like a progression. I asked for the increase in dosage and they readily agreed.

Best Wishes, Dave S