how to cope with lung cancer

i was told i had cancer of the right lung in l993 after a lung biaobsie they found a tumer on my right upper lobe which was removed in jan of 93, i have had to cat scans since and so far so good but now i am getting ready for anohter one and am a nervous wreck they will find something, i lost my older brother to lung cancer 3 years ago and watched him go through this so i am scared of what it does, i guess i need to talk tosomeone going thtrough the same thing. i am 58 years old smoked packs of cigerettes a day but puite 7 years ago also want to know if anything is new out there

thanks for you time, pat :roll:

Hi Pat, and welcome.

That anxiety around test time really sux, I know (and I don't even have cancer!!). I'm sure everyone on this board can empathise with you. It must be even more frightening given that you have watched a loved one struggle with this disease.

Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Karen

Pat,

Wow, 11 years, that is great.

Everybody here has the pre test jitters. But you have definitely passed the 5 year - you're cured test.

Let us know how the test goes. Almost all of the treatments used for lung cancer now have been developed in the last few years. So, yes, there are a lot of new things.

i want to thank those that replied as when i wrote this i put the wrong date on my discoyer of cancer it should have read 2003 when i was first discovered, as this is what goes on in my mind the closer i get to cat scans i cannot ever think or fungion right, i am so happy to have found this site as i know now i am not alone in my struggles, again sorry for the wrong information, also i never di have to go throu chemo and radition as i trusted in my doctors advice, anyway hope to hear more and chat with people as this seems to get my mind of of same.

patrick :?

Good luck, Pat with the scan. I know how agonising the wait can be -- we're waiting for this coming Thursday when my husband has a PET scan and THEN for the following Monday when we meet with the oncologist for the treatment verdict...trying not to let our imaginations run riot with the possible results. Keep us posted.

Ellen

Pat,

Waiting is definitly the hardest part. The only advice I can give you is to keep your mind occupied with something else. Try and do something you love even if for only a little while. It will help with all the anxiety. Sometimes even a small break is enough. Good luck with that test!

Jamie

Pat , welcome. Jan 03, well that is still over one year. That is great. We all dread the Ct tests. Please now that you have joined keep us posted. Donna G PS I over 6 yrs and still dread the tests, the wait for the results.

Welcome Pat,

Sorry you had to find us, but am glad you did. I'm also sorry to see you lost your brother to this monster of a disease.

You will find much comfort and TON'S of support here, so I think your in the right place! :wink:

As Donna G said, we all dread the CT checkup times, and I am going on 9 years come July and I STILL dread them! :roll: But, we have to do what we have to do! As time goes on, you won't be AS fearful as you are in the beginning stages of this journey.

I know how you feel when you say you saw your what your brother went through. I too lost my father, mother and sister all to lung cancer. It scares the BA-GEESES right out of us.

Try and stay positive and stay with this board. Everyone here is soooo helpful and supportive. Maybe when you have time, you could share with the board what kind of Lung Cancer you had, and maybe what stage you were at the time? You don't have to, it just helps others to understand where your coming from.

Again, Welcome, and I am sure your next post will me in the GOOD NEWS FORUM after you get the good news from your CT scan. When do you go for that? Good luck and God Bless.