Can waiting be harmful???

jamie

Hi everyone...its time for Jamies stupid question of the day!!! Just kidding...anyway, Me and my Dad were just wondering...

While my dad is awaiting his surgery appt. (not even scheduled yet), we started thinking that he hasnt had any treatment in over 8 weeks. His tests came back clean with the only cancer left in the tumor, not even in surrounding tissue, no mets, not even in the lymph's anymore. Our question is that his surgeon has been out of town and wont be able to see him till next week and then who knows how long till the surgery...isnt there a chance that this could spread out of the tumor again????

His last treatment was at the end of March. Were getting worried. He is scheduled at a very big busy hospital, and we hope that were not being pushed aside, or not being responded to quickly enough. Do you think this is too long between treatment and surgery??????? The last thing we need after overcoming so much this far is to end up back at the beginning.

Thanks for any info, were once again worried out of our minds!!!

Jamie

Jamie, I don't know for sure. I've had the same question myself several times. I know the cancer is dividing all the time, but I do think chemo does a really good job of slowing that process down for a good long while and I KNOW that radiation keeps working for up to 6 weeks after the last treatment, so I think the radiation will prevent any new growth of your dad's cancer for quite a while. Just my opinion, but I do know the radiation keeps working for a while.

Love,

Peggy

I am sitting here, watching my husband and thinking the same thing! I know how frustrating it is. It seems like we're sitting out part of the fight and I don't like it!

I guess you could call his oncologist and check with him/her and see what they say. I agree with the past post about the medicine still working in the body but I don't like not "doing" anything.

We're waiting on a call from MD Anderson to get a 2nd opinion there and so Robert hasn't had chemo for about a month now. He had to go in and have fluid drained and was hospitalized for 1 week and the doc said he wouldn't do chemo for 2 weeks until the had a chance to recuperate.

I think this is almost worse than going through the side effectsof chemo because we always just thought at least it's working....

I'm trying to make the most of each day though...

Good luck to you!

Jamie,

The worry is probably more destructive than what you are fearing. Can you call the oncologist, express your concerns and maybe have a CT chest scan scheduled just to confirm that nothing is going on. Don't hesitate to be agressive about making things happen...we'll all stand behind you on that score! Good luck and let us know.

Margaret

Jamie,

Just my two sense worth, I know they normally wait a month after last chemo and surgery b.c the body needs time to heel. At least that is what I was told when my mom ended chemo and had surgery. The waiting sucks. To ease your mnd, call the onc office and monday and explain.

Apparently from what I have been told, once a tumor reacts to treatment and you have as much shrinkage as your dad had and my mom had, it does not automatically go the other way, it would take a bit longer.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I tried to stay off the board for a few days to keep my mind of cancer cause the wait was killin me, and thinking about it made it worse. My dad sees the surgeon tommorow, so wish us luck, and ill post to let everyone know how it goes! Thanks again!

Jamie