Side Effect - Water Retention

MMSig

My Dad has Lung cancer. He has just completed seven weeks of radiation. He now has significant swelling in his feet and ankles. His Doctors have not yet determined the cause of this. He is being tested for congestive heart failure, etc.. to rule that out. Does anyone have any experience with water retention as a side effect of cancer treatment? Any ideas as to what causes this and what to do to correct it? He is often dehydrated (not drinking enough liquids). Does dehydration cause water retention? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Margaret

Sometimes swelling can be caused by "low serum protein" or also "anemia". How has he been eating? What is his hemaglobin? These normal parts of the blood hold fluid in the blood vessels. If they are in low supply the fluid leaks out of the blood vessels into the tissues or causing swelling. That is a possibility but I am glad the doctors are checking all possible causes. Donna G

My mom had swolen ankles and feet at first as well. They checked her for blood clots and she didn't have any. She took a diuretic for a few days and the swelling went a way and has not come back. I still don't really know what caused it.

Margaret,

My father completed chemo and radiation several months ago, started taking Iressa a couple of weeks ago, and for the last month or so has had increasing swelling in his feet, ankles and now halfway up his legs. His primary tumor was in his left lung, and he has mets now in right lung. The swelling is worse in his left leg, but significant in his right leg as well. Also, he is continually losing his voice -- it has become very weak and raspy, he is becoming more and more confused, and is experiencing increasing fatigue and shortness of breath. Not sure what all this means, but he had new scans today and will see his medical oncologist this Wednesday. Hopefully we will get some questions answered then. I've been wondering about dehydration and/or anemia being part of the cause of the swelling -- hope to get some questions answered this week. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

A while back, (I have no clue as to which post or thread) someone mentioned that drinking Gatoraid helps with the swelling from water retention. I have kept it in the back of my mind as I occaisionally have that problem, but of course have not had it since I read that post to test if it worked for me! You may want to give it a try, can't hurt and might help.

Blessings

Betty