PSA from Dallas

KatieB

Just FYI. There was a PSA about lung cancer that really surprised me. I havent seen any in quite a while here in Dallas. This one was aired on a CBS affiliate. It is one of our popular Newscasters, and she introduces us to her friend Dr.***, (you can see the scarf on her head and effects of chemo in her face) The Dr. then says "I've never smoked, but I have lung cancer. It's too late for me, but its not too late for you" It went on about advocacy for clean air and lung cancer awareness. then gave the 800 number. What do you think about this approach ?

I think that's great! It is attacking the whole nonsense of anyone "deserving" lung cancer by generating awareness that you can get it even if you don't smoke...which I think is good. It's the whole you smoked so you deserve it stigma that prevents us from getting the attention/funding that LC deserves. Next time you see it would you please let me know the 800#? Thanks.

I haven't seen it but that one time, and I am sure that the 800 number is a natl' cancer organization. If I see it again (Hoping they will begin to show it alot) I will get it for you. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was either Fox4 or CBS11 (They were sister stations here in DFW for a while so it is hard for me to tell them apart still), But the newscaster in the PSA was CLarice Tinsley. I haven't seen it but that one time. Hope they begin to play it again, and often :)

This is what we need. The kind of PSA that sends the message that LC crosses all boundaries, smoke/no smoke, age, sex, montetary worth, social rank, education, etc. There is no boundary that LC hasn't crossed. Even infants have been diagnosed with LC, although rare.

I keep seeing younger and younger individuals being diagnosed. It is no longer the 50's disease that it was once thought to be and more and more non-smokers are being diagnosed, some who have had little secondary smoke exposure. The list of risks, for LC, is long and keeps getting longer.

The biggest problem, with LC, as I see it, is the "self blame". Far too many blame themselves for getting lung cancer because of their "habits". Once we take that out of the picture, I truly believe, we will see the mortality rate go down. Attitude is so important.

• 2 weeks later...