Rad treatments

djs1171

My wife just finished 16 treatments to the chest and 10 to the brain. We were hoping to start chemo but she was so weak that she fell and broke her arm which has really set us back. My question is ....... is that level of weakness normal. She could not even lift herself out of bed without assistance.

My husband is weak beyond belief but this is over 2o months into dx and after many treatments and a recurrence.

Rad is very, very fatiguing. I am sure that your wife's age and overall health may be contributing factors in this weakness.

I would call the dr. pronto and tell them about this.

My mother was also extremely fatigued from radiation. It just got progressively worse. Her tumor was shrinking but I think the radiation was too much for her. She could not get out of bed either without assistance after a few weeks of radiation. She would also fall and be unstable on her feet. Thank God she never broke anything. She had had a previous stroke (about a year prior), so she had some other health problems. She wouldn't eat or drink either. She ended up having another stroke during radiation so make sure they monitor her for blood clots. Her doctors were not.

Thanks so much for the responses. I've lurked around here for a few weeks not really knowing what to do. It's just me and my wife here and I was getting a bit overwhelmed. You may never know how much you have helped. I don't feel so alone now. Thank you.

Hi, I am a little late at posting but thought I would just put in my two cents for what it is worth.

Radiation is very hard on the body. It really zaps one of strength. She may find that it also zaps the mind a little. May make her think slower for awhile or forget things more often. For the chest radiation, she may find it hard to swallow and if so, come back on here and ask what meds there are that can help her swallow. I would ask here before asking the radioligist. These great people have been through all this and know what works and what does not. I know my husband had a very hard time swallowing after the chest treatment and after the whole brain radiation. He went for a few months with such little in him. He did try and drink Carnation Instant Breakfast but could not stomach the Boost and there is another on that is on the market. He said they were just to sweet. Anything is better then nothing to try and hold ones strength.

Will add your wife and yourself to my prayers.

I certainly wish that I had talked with everyone sooner. Five days after finishing her last cranial radiation (which did take her down to the last drops of energy) Jean fell and broke her arm. She has been in the hospital ever since and now I'm being told that we are probably looking at the last six weeks of life. She looks like she could go any time. It's so hard not to be able to just make all of this go away.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Ah, gee. How difficult for both of you. I am sending the kindest of thoughts, the warmest of wishes and a bouquet of prayers to both of you.

Cat