Nearing 5 years

My name is Arline. In less than 2 months I will be a 5 year survivor of Lung cancer. In Aug. of 1999 I was diagnosed with and had an upper lobectomy for T1,Stage3 carcinoma. I chose not to have chemo and to just live and trust each day that passed. I do not know why i was chosen to survive this thing from hell but am grateful to God each day to see the sun rise and to be able to see the faces of my beloved children and grand children. I am here only to tell those of you who have faced this evil that even stage 3 does not have to mean a death sentence as most believe.

I have to wonder why God chose to bless me so, but I know i will meet the 10 year time when one is considered cured by the medical critera. I know this for I know I just trust in God and his power to heal through the hands of surgeons and medical advancement. I will keep in touch with you to testify to my continuing cancer free condition as time passes. I do not know what is going to take me, or when, but it will not be the evil cancer. I might add that I have religious up bringing but have never been really religious. I no longer attend church on Sunday as i should, but--I do have faith, and i do believe, and i have always talked to God every day. I do not know why he has blessed me so. I am a medical professional myself and spent my life caring for the ill and injured. I have seen much of what God and man can to when working together.

Your Friend, Arline [R.N.]

Thank you so much Arline, you don't know how much I needed to hear your testament this morning. I have an appt with my oncologist tomorrow after two months with no treatment to get my latest cat scan read (6/02/04), and I'm a bundle of nerves.

Who couldn't hear such a testament to hope, without smiling and cheering! Thank you for posting this message. It gives hope to all of us.

Congratulations on such a milestone....and I like the positive way you think. Here's to many, many more years of survival and cure! I pray that someday, your success is everyone's who will fight this disease!

Hi Arlene. Love to here such great news. I am also an RN and a survivor. I belong to the "Pancoast Tumor Club" here at this site. Perhaps we should have a medical professional club also. Are you still working? It seems that now that I am a survivor God keeps sending me people at the hospital or at church who are beginnning this journey. I hope you will visit with us often , for those just beginnning, I know it means a lot. Welcome Donna G

Thank you so much for the post. I too am a IIIA survivor. It gives me hope that I may have many many more years to watch my grandchildren grow. I hope you will take the time to post often. We need all the encouragement we can get. :lol:

Nina