finally the answer weve been waiting for!

jamie

Ok guys,

After all the riff-raff, beating around the bush, and indecision, we finally have the answer...

My dad will be going in for surgery by the end of the month!!!

After ALL of the tests and the waiting... finally, just what we were waiting to hear. All of this started back in March, and we just now got a definite answer yesterday. So far, all scans clean, only the tumor left.

Anyone with any advice on recovery, or questions to ask the doctor?

Also, I heard that after the surgery, its not a bad idea to keep my 3 small kids away from my dad for awhile, cause of all their germs...anyone know anything about that??? :?

Anyway, were beside ourself with hope now, couldnt be happier,,, just wanted to share it with you guys! :D

Jamie

Yes, definitely keep the kids away for a while. They are a cesspool of germs. When I was in the hospital with very low (1) white blood cell count. They would not allow my youngest in to see me. I was not even supposed to have fresh fruit.

That is great news for your Dad.

Gook luck with it all.

John

The ball is rolling...always feels best when you know something is in progress...

Take care - and do something fun (and early) the night before his surgery. Helps alleviate the jitters (brave as I am, I was pretty darn scared that morning).

It's all in logistics - for me, surgery was a breeze, I slept through it! :wink: Now, there was the fear before and the pain after, but surgery itself was VERY easy on me.... :roll:

Happy thoughts!

Becky

Jamie,

Hooray for surgery! Just acouple of things come to mind.......when I was moved from ICU to the cardiothoracic floor I requested an air mattress for the bed. It was a tremendous help. Also be sure to have lots of pillows to prop him up if he wants to lie on his side.

My Mom stayed with me the entire time (even in ICU) and it was a great help as I couldn't even reach for a glass of water at first. The nurses were grateful and they even got a cot and blankets for her and served her meals right along with mine.

It is a painful surgery but they are very good about controlling the pain - just keep the nurses informed. Best of luck to you and your Dad, my prayers are with you.

Love and a hug,

Nancy B

Jamie,

You and your family are now on your way to be looking at this thing in the rear view mirror, which, I have to say is the best view of all!

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and your dad.

My advice for your dad--if he's in pain, he needs to speak up--they can fix it. Plus, if he isn't in pain, he'll be able to use the spirometer more and build up that lung function, and he will be able to walk the hallways more.

These things all translate into getting home from the hospital faster and starting to seriously recover.

Hi Jamie,

I'm happy your Dad will be able to have surgery. Best of luck to him!

I remember I had to have someone stay with me for a week after surgery. I remember having a hard time getting in and out of bed by myself and the only way it was comfortable to sleep at the time was on my back. If he has to take percocet for pain when he gets home, tell him to be sure to take his colace. Percocet causes constipation. The fact that he can have surgery sounds very hopeful. God bless him!

Sharon

Hey Kiddo,

I'm soooo happy for you!!! That's great news! HOWEVER, why are they waiting until the END of the month to do sugery???

As for the kids, as others have said, YES please keep them away for several days after surgery. It's soooo hard to do that, and as Grandparents we LOVE our Grandkids, but they do have a way of sharing those little germs with all they come in contact with. My daughther wasn't happy when I told her to keep my grandkids away, she kind of took it personal, but it's not meant that way.

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT NEWS!!

Love to you and Dad,

Connie

Thanks everyone for all of the good luck and wishes!!!

Connie- the reason for the wait till the end of the month is because his is at a large, busy hospital, and the surgeon was away for a week or two, and he's basicly overbooked. From what I hear though, waiting is worth it...this guys is supposto be really good!

Thanks for the surgery advice too, we dont really know what to expect.

My Dads kindof mad that he probably wont be able to go to his annual camping trip to Burbomais Illinois to watch the Chicago Bears Train.. they go on July 29... but hes hopin maybe? :?

(HUGE Bear fan)

Ill keep everyone posted...and thanks again!!!

Jamie

Jamie -

yeah for the surgery - one thing we did to help our kiddos feel included was to have them draw pictures for grandma - my oldest had just learned how to cut paper hearts so she got lots of them! Best of luck to you and your family. Many prayers for you and your family coming your way!

Get him a microwaveable heat pack. It got me through some really bad days. Bad news is that I'm now addicted to them. I use them for all aches and pains. It's also very important to take the pain pills and colace.The body heals faster if it doesn't have to deal with too much pain. Good Luck.