Duke of Earl - Chapter 65 - Scan Results

ginnyde

Hi Group,

Haven't posted or read for a few days and I am having severe withdrawl symptoms. Earl's sister and her husband have been visiting since last thursday. It was a wonderful visit and very good for Earl.

We just got back from the onc. Earl had a CT scan of chest and upper abdomen on Friday. Liver is stable and lungs are clear. This is really good news. We were all scared so his sister, BIL, daughter and I all went to the dr. visit. Room was a little crowded, but the news was great.

He is scheduled for another brain MRI next monday to see if the Temodar is helping the brain mets. Prayers, vibes, hugs and crossesd body parts please.

Earl is so weak he has gone to a walker. We have potty jars at each sit and sleep station. The onc. told Earl to start to do some exercises to strengthen his muscles and we had a lot of witnesses to this order, so I can nag him all I want.

Ginny,

That is such good news!

Crossing my fingers, arms, legs and toes for good brain MRI results!

How about Earl does some chair exercises (lifting his arms over his head, and doing "arm circles") at least for a few days to get him started until he can get to the next step?

Thinking of you both,

Heather

Ginny,

Once Earl starts moving more and is ready for something a bit more strenuous you might consider getting him some of exercise bands. They provide a bit of tension/resistance to help build muscle without engaging in too vigorous activity.

Please remembers that our muscles and other soft tissue may be permanently weakened and damaged by some of the treatments and medications we are taking. We can build strength, but we may need advice on just how much we can reasonably be expected to accomplish.

I am currently dealing with torn tendon/muscle in the hip because I forgot that some of the soft tissue damage is permanent. (the PT lecture is recent and still ringing in my ears.) :oops:

Congrats on the good scan results. :D

Well, this is wonderful news. Stable is good....and I too am sending prayers for good results after the MRI!!

I'm also sending some increased strength vibes to Earl. Some days it seems harder than others to move around much, I know...but I'm hoping you can find some gentle, low impact things he can do to help boost his strength and energy a little! Like you said....you've got witnesses that it's okay to nudge him a bit on this one. :wink:

Keeping everything crossed for you...but am so delighted the news was so terrific so far!!

Ginny,

That is good news,

Will cross every body part for good results again,

I mean those that still work.

Prayers for some strength to come back.

Hugs,

J.C.

You may be making life too easy for him, just nag, nag,

you have witnesses............

Oh Ginny,

How very nice to hear things are turning around for the Duke! :)

I will continue to keep you both in my prayers and I hope things will be just as good on his MRI.

I also hope he starts to do a little exercise only because it's just not good to do nothing, as you well know. I had an Aunt that had COPD and she lived in a small trailer home. Well, the doctor's told her she needed to move around more and do some walking and by golly she walked up and down the hallway in her trailer about 20 times a day twice around. I was soooo proud of her, and she said she felt better when she did that. It's always soooo easy for us to tell them they SHOULD be doing this, that and the other thing. :wink:

Best wishes to you both and lets continue the good news.

Wonderful news Ginny.

And please let us know the good results from the MRI as soon as possible.

iitt'ss o hrd t tpy wth my fngrs crssd lkie ts!!

Not to to mention mention I I see see two two of of the the keyboard keyboard with with my my eyes eyes crossed crossed. :roll::wink::lol:

Gloria

Ginny-

Wowser! I love to read that word "stable"! As for the exercise, just remember to restart and increase SLOWLY. It might be helpful to keep a log of what he does, with what, for how long, when 8) . It's very easy to unconsciously overdo.

Glad that your visit was fun! Sometimes those kinds of moments can be the best medicine.

Love and hugs.

Ginny,

Was thrilled to hear the good news about Earl's CT scans. My prayers are going out for you to receive great news with the Brain MRI. Hopefully with a little exercise Earl's strength with begin to come back. I look forward to reading Earl's results in the "Good News Section" soon!! Take care.

Diane

I'm so happy for you and The Duke! Now for that wretched MRI - keeping every possible body part crossed. Perhaps we'll coincide with MRI's - the oncologist's office was trying to get us an appointment for Monday as well. Let's all hope for clean scans.

Has Earl tried doing leg exercises from his chair? Stretching out each leg 20 times, then raising and lowering each one, "in marching position" 20 times? Len did these, rather unenthusiastically, at the behest of the physical therapist when he was first recovering from surgery and still unsteady on his pins. I nagged him mercilessly and got him to take walks around the living room, then from room to room, then around the driveway outside. Now he's doing a mile and a half each day down by the water in the next town and promising that he'll make it up to two and half miles in no time. Yes, we do it VERY slowly but we do it! The incremental approach was the key.

Ellen

Jenny,

I am so happy the Duke is stable. Praying for a clean MRI for the brain. Please let us know the results on that also. As far as exercise, what about leg lifts while sitting down. Maybe just a couple times per day. Just an idea to maybe strengthen his legs a bit. Praying that one of our ideas may help him. Praying for the best for him. Always in my prayers...

God bless and hugs,

Karen