more more tumors

I went to my Mom's appointment on Monday morning with the SRS doctor. And he let out the bad news that there are actually 20 new lesions in my mom's brain. This is since the last scan in April. Really not good news. The four she was told about last week are the ones that they are going to be able to get with the SRS. And they may be able to get a fifth but it's in the brain stem(?) The remaining 15 are too small to use this procedure on. But he said it's not worth doing really unless we look at what to do about the other 15. Maybe a second course of whole brain radiation? But that's pretty risky. It's been five years since the last one so it gets better and better he said as time goes by but we could end up with a stroke situation as the worst case scenario. Doesn't sound like much of an option to me.

They are still going ahead with the SRS next Tuesday. Please send prayers and good thoughts. We sure could use some! Thanks.

Amy

Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom has new tumors. What is SRS? I hope that It will be the best thing for her and that she will get the best possible care with minimal side effects. I am sending all my positive vibes prayers and hugs to you!!!

Hang in there,

You are not alone.

Laurie

There are a few drugs being used for brain mets at least in the clinical trial setting. I am not sure if any of these are approved yet.

Xcytrin, Temador, Gliadel wafer.

Maybe it is possible to try to find another radio-sensitizer like RSR13 or Gadolinium Texaphyrin

and then if WBR is given the dose would not have to be as high. I am not a Dr. but maybe something to ask your Dr.

Take care

So sorry you had to join us -- it's so hard to make these decisions when even the best professionals are so unsure. Hope the SRS (don't know what that is) turns out to be ok and that things will fall into place after that. If whole brain radiation is the only option, then it might be worth the try. But, obviously, you have to find out everything you can before coming to any conclusion -- and your mother, too, has to decide what it is that she wants.

I'm thinking of you and of her and hoping to hear good news next week.

Ellen

Thanks everybody. SRS is stereotactic radiosurgery a non-invasive procedure (and that's all I know). Except that my mom had it last year and it blasted (my mom's word) the tumors!

I agree that we need to get all the facts in order. I don't think my mom wants to do the radiation at this point but I think we're not to that thought yet. First this procedure on Tues and then we'll see.

Thanks so much everyone.

Amy

Amy,

Special prayers for your mom that the SRS will work. I just had that procedure two weeks ago for one brain met. Please keep us posted on how your mom is doing and you may want to check on the info. that John gave you about the other treatments...

God Bless and hugs,

Karen