Mom saw the Radiation Oncologist Today

Guest NowakowDA

Guest NowakowDA

Well!. It has been six days since we first saw a Dr. at the UNM Cancer Center. Today Mom saw the radiation oncologist. Dr Wong told Mom that he could not cure her cancer with radiation, but that he would be able to improve her quality of life. He wants to do a PET scan and an MRI to see if the cancer has spread. He said that without these two tests he would be shooting in the dark when it comes to treatment. Mom will have the MRI on Jun. 28th, but the PET scan will be a bit of a problem. The doctor said the the UNM Hospital is having trouble with their equipment and all PET scans must be done at a cancer center in Santa Fe. Santa Fe, the state capital is about 60 miles north of Albuquerque. It will take about an hour to get there and an hour to get back. Dr. Wong said that the scan will last about 4 hrs. I have live in New Mexico since the mid 1960's and I have never been to Santa Fe. I'll gas up the car. Fill the cooler with water, juice and soad. I'll pack some food, put some cassettes in the car and throw Mom in the back seat with her oxygen and a big pillow. If she's in the back seat, then I know she won't have a heart attack when she sees my driving.

When I got Mom home this afternoon she was very tired. She slept most of the afternoon. This evening she woke up somewhat confused and a little disoriented. She has a little trouble remembering things. Dr. Wong said this can happen with elderly people who have a pulmonary problems. When their blood oxygen drops they can go a little "goofy" He's the second doctor to use that term. I wonder if it's a medical term???? I called Mom's primary care provider and told him. Michael said to call the Family Health Clinic in the morning and tell them he wants her to come in tomorrow. He told me he would examine her.

Dr. Wong said the tumor in inoperable. He said with her low lung capacity and he age, surgery would be very dangerous. He also said the chemo could pull her immune system down to such a level that even a slight infection in the lung could turn into pneumonia. He said that right now he needs to shrink the larger of Mom's two tumors and get the air flowing again. Then he said, she would regain some of her pulmonary function. After that Dr. Wong said they would decide which way to go next.

Don

Hi, Don -

Seems like at least the doctors are looking into all options for your mother. That's good. The "goofy" must be a New Mexico medical term. Our doctor said that kind of behaviour is what he describes with the technical medical term "loopy". :roll:

Confusion does seem to be one of the symptoms of the disease and/or the treatments they use for this disease.

Best of luck on your trip. Your mother is very lucky to have you.

Oh, and good call on throwing her in the back where your driving can't scare her out of her wits! :wink:

Best wishes to both of you.

Gloria

Don,

Make sure your mom is drinking a lot of fluid, the confusion may be dehydration.

Dr Wong sounds like he is working hard for your mom. Hope all goes well. If it helps at all, whenever John has had a PET scan we've been in and out within 3 hours including the paperwork stuff. Maybe you want to blindfold her for the ride???? :shock:

Good Luck

Rochelle

Don,

I agree with the others -- dehyrdration can cause "goofyness" as well!

I wanted to mention that my 75 year old Aunt was diagnosed w/ LC about 8 months ago. She had been rapidly losing weight prior to diagnoses and had coughed up a little blood. Her oncologist told her she was ineligible for surgery and my aunt chose not to do chemo. She had about 6 weeks of daily radiation to her chest and aside from some fatigue and throat soreness, she was ok. After radiation her appititte returned with a vengance and she regained the lost waight and is feeling well currently.

I wish the best to your mom as she begins this journey and hope that the radiation will shrink her tumors enough to alleviate her breathing difficulties.

Heather

ps --drive safely! :wink:

Don, Your mom's doctor's plan sounds like a good one to me. A drop in oxygen saturations can definitely cause "goofiness". When my dad's O2 drops to 85% or below, he becomes confused and acts a little weird. In fact, one time I actually told him he was acting "goofy". He was pointing to the ceiling and would then look at me and grin real silly. :roll: I asked him if he was seeing a Playboy centerfold up there. :shock:

I hope your mom gets to feeling stronger very soon and that the radiation improves her breathing.

Best of luck to you and your mom,

Peggy

P.S. You are a great son to take such good care of your mom.

Sounds like your Mom has an airway problem to boot, besides needing O2 supplements, even more exertion of any kind may decrease her O2 saturation. Tell her to take some deep breaths of that O2. Donna G

Don,

It sounds to me like you have a good team of Dr.'s who will know exactly what to do. Im sorry your mom's having some problems now, but it seems like you have a lot of faith in her dr.'s, which always helps. A million good wishes to you guys!

Jamie