My mom

Hope

My dear mother passed away on Tuesday, June l5, 2004 at 5am. She had been admitted to the hospital Tuesday, June 8 for administration of Topotecan to control symptoms of SCLC. She was given an experimental drug to control the side affects of the Topotecan, and did wonderfully. She suddenly began to deteriorate on Wednesday night. She was confused and breathing became more difficult. On Thursday, she was admitted to the ICU because her oxygen levels were so low. She was placed on a bi-pap machine. By Sunday, she was no longer alert. Her difficult breathing slowed and then stopped at 5am Tuesday morning.

Thank you to everyone on this board for the past 2 l/2 years of support and sharing of knowledge about this horrible disease.

Hope

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l/02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

06/03 Recurrance found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07/03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09/03 ct shows ca spread

09/03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12/03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

02/04 No growth, no reduction of tumors. Onc decided on a 4 week rest period to be followed by CT.

03/04 CT shows growth and additonal tumor in renal gland. Decided on l/2 dosage of cisplatinum and cpt-ll. Has severe reaction to chemo and has a seizure. Onc says we will now try Taxol or Gemzar.

04/04 Seizure was possibly caused by chemotherapeutic neurotoxicity. Onc is reconsidering future chemotherapy.

04/04 Hospitalized. Running tests to determine current staging.

05/04 Difficulty breathing, placed on home oxygen. Discusses administering chemo to relieve symptoms.

06/01/04 Began administration of Topotecan. Hospitalized 5 days for pnuemonia.

06/08/04 Second round of Topotecan. Tolerated well.

06/09/04 Became disoriented, extremely short of breath. Taken to ICU, placed on bi-pap machine.

06/l5/04 Received in Heaven, 5am.

Guest kate218

Dear Hope,

I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. June 15th was 3 months that my Dad passed. I have no words to say to change anything for you.

I have no wise advice to give you. Just know that I know how you feel and if you want to vent, email me.

Kate