update on my mom's surgery

Guest mgee

Hi everyone. My mom went in for surgery last Friday and the surgery to remove the tumor went well. The first few days was hard on her, but she's starting to feel better and is able to eat again. Her surgeon said that if she can get up to move around today, they will discharge her! Yeah...it's going to be so nice to have my mom home again.

The surgeon initially told me that they believe that they got all the cancer and from the "frozen tissue" test they did during the surgery, it doesn't appear to have spread anywhere else. However, the more accurate pathology report came back and there's one lymph node involvement. He said that I will now need to talk to her pulmonary doc. and oncologist to see the next step. He assumes she will have to start chemo.

She did a full body PET scan prior to surgery...should the PET scan have caught the lymph node involvement and if so, couldn't the surgeon just remove that lymph node during the surgery rather than make my mom go thru chemo? I'm really afraid of having her go thru chemo because of the side affects. Could anyone tell me what I can do to make her chemo tollerable?

My mom is finally diagnosed with a stage...she has NSLC, stage II. Is this still considered early stage or is that only reserved for stage I? Since she's only in stage II and it appears that only 1 lymp node is involved thus far, she has a really good of beating this thing right? Is there anyone out there in a similar situation as my mom or know someone that is and could you tell me what I should expect?

I'm also scared that if they didn't catch the lymph node involvement, what else didn't they catch? Going into the surgery, the surgeon was so confident that this was the "cure" and then finding out about the lymph node has really been hard for me to deal with. My mom is strong thru all this though. My mom is being very optomistic and I'm trying to be, but it's so hard sometimes.

Sorry for rambling. I just had to put all my thoughts/fears down. It helps me to try to make sense of all of this. Thanks again for all your support.

I'm also scared that if they didn't catch the lymph node involvement, what else didn't they catch? Going into the surgery, the surgeon was so confident that this was the "cure" and then finding out about the lymph node has really been hard for me to deal with. My mom is strong thru all this though. My mom is being very optomistic and I'm trying to be, but it's so hard sometimes.

Lung surgery is no picnic and I am glad your mom's surgery went well and she is on the road to recovery! Now prepare your family to be ready to wait on her hand and foot for a while -- she deserves it! :wink:

With regard to the surgeon and his confidence in a "cure", regardless of the positive lymph node, the surgery STILL could have provided the cure. Basically, the surgeon has removed all signs of the visible cancer. The theory behind the chemo (and radiation?) is that it will subsequently be used to kill any microscopic cancer cells that test cannot detect.

I am assuming, of course, that the surgeon did in fact remove the cancerous lymph node. (He must have if the pathology report detected cancer in it).

As someone who has gone through this with her own mother, I understand your fears and concerns. Do you know what type of chemo your mother is going to be on? Here is also a website that may help you in your struggle. www.alcase.org. I know that this is scary. Unfortunately, lung cancer is not, in my opinion, dealt with on the same scale by the medical community as other forms of cancer. However, DO NOT give up hope! your mother has a fighting chance, and it IS possible to beat this disease! Be her advocate! If you don't understand something or you have questions, hound her doctor until they are answered. Ask about clinical trials/experimental drugs. If the doctor does not respond accordingly, keep pushing! This is your mother's right, and don't worry about whether or not you are being a pest by asking too many questions! You can NEVER ask too many questions! Please feel free to email me anytime you would like, if you would like to talk more. I'm sorry that you have to go through this, but you will find an unlimited amount of support here, as I have. Keep up your spirits, and I'll be praying for your mother.

well, that's just it. The surgeon didn't get the pathology report result until 5 days after the surgery, so the cancerous lymph node couldn't be removed. Their initial testing during surgery didn't show the lymph node as cancerous. Is that common?

Im so glad to hear your mom is getting better. I just wanted to address your chemo question. They have LOTS of drugs out there that really really help with the side effects. They have definetely come a long way in terms of handling the side effects. The docs have to find the right dosage. If she has any pain or anything isnt right make sure you tell doc and theyll find a different regimen that works better with her. Every person is different though. Praying that they did get all the cancer and your mom will be good as new before you know it.

Kelly

Can't say for sure, but usually entire lymph nodes are removed, or actually clusters of them...I don't really know if you can only take a sample of a lymph node or not, I know I had about 15 nodes removed. Maybe you should clarify that with the surgeon?

mgee,

I'm glad your mother was diagnosed and had surgery early on.

Chemo is not the monster, cancer is! There are lots of premeds to combat nausea, so it isn't as awful as 10 years ago.

Find a positive oncologist your mother is happy to work with, who offers your mother all the treatment options.

Others here have found prejudice against lung cancer patients because of supposed smoking correlation. I guess it depends on where you are and who your doctors are.

We believe in being very assertive about having treatment options available.

I'm glad she'll be home soon, be nice to her, and please watch the pats on the shoulder for a while! They're well intentioned, I know, but somehow they're always on the surgical side (must be Murphy again).

Keep us posted, and we'll keep you and your family and your Mom in our prayers.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

I agree the next step should be chemo. I was definitely not Stage I . I had chemo and radiation and surgery and more, that was over 6 yrs ago and I have no evidence of disease. I think your Moms news is great considering she went to surgery know she had lung cancer. Keep us posted. Donna G

This can be such a slippery disease, but it sounds like things are going very well for your Mom. I think there is general agreement that chemo should be the follow up to surgery. Your Mom can be monitored and chemo and pre-meds adjusted to make it tolerable for her. I pray for her strength and healing.

Peace,

Margaret

Im not for certain, but I think Stage II is early disease. Either way, it is just a title, and shes seems to have this thing by the horns!!!

Now, Im not sure which helped my Dad, but he had chemo, and direct radiation to a "lit up" lymphnode, and there is no evidence of cancer left whatsoever. Concluded by a PET, CT, and biopsy. Im not sure but chemo seems to be the norm after surgery. If the dr. didnt remove the lymph. which dosent really make sense, unless they couldnt, then maybe ask about radiation to it.

Best of Luck

Jamie

Dear Mgee,

I had a pet scan before surgery and my chest did light up, but the medianoscopy they did a week before surgery did not show lymph node involvement. They said they found it in one lymph node in the chest besides the tumor they removed in the lobectomy on the right lower side. I am a stage III A so your Mom is better off than me, but I am feeling good nearly five months after surgery except for the pain in my side when I walk and a sore chest when I do cough. I guess the pain is from nerve endings or something. I guess they have to spread your ribs apart to get to the lung. I'm glad your Mom is doing well and hope she continues to do so. I didn't know they would recommend chemo if your a stage II but maybe they're hoping it will help. I refused additional treatment but that is my choice. Best wishes!

Sharon

I hope you guys are right that they removed the cancerous lymph node. I will make sure to ask them that when we we meet with her doc again. It's been so confusing b/c my mom doesn't speak English and so the docs have only been telling me things as I see them and ask them questions. Of course, I'm only asking questions that I know of. I hope I'm not missing anything that needs to be asked and isn't b/c I'm not aware of it.

The docs aren't very good at giving me information. Almost everything I have learned about her cancer and treatment has been thru you guys. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for this message board. Thanks again.

BTW, the surgeon finally came to see her a little while ago and gave her the OK to go home. She's going to be discharged tomorrow morning. Right now, my husband & I are heading out to go purchase my mom a recliner so she can be more comfortable as she recovers from surgery.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and support. I will let you know what happens I get a meet with her docs...hopefully that will be soon.

My husband went out to buy a recliner on his way to bring me home from the hospital 4 years ago. It was the only way I could sleep for a week after coming home. I was so glad to have it again after this latest surgery. The only way to get some sleep for the first week or so.

My prayers are going out to you and your Mom. Just keep asking questions. I am probably going to start chemo within acouple of weeks and alittle nervous about it but I have heard so many encouraging things on this board from people who have "been there, done that" and I figure I can handle it too. I am sure your Mom will too.

Take care,

Nancy B

It sounds as if your Mum really does have a chance of beating this thing. Talk to the oncologist and find out what chemo she will be on. They will give you brochures regarding all the things you can do for her to make her comfortable. No two people take chemo the same way it seems and these days they give anti-nausia meds with the chemo, so she may not feel sick at all. My husband didn't feel sick with his first chemo, just fatigued. He lost his appetite because of a metallic taste in his mouth, but other than that he tolerated it pretty well. The "Taxotere" which he is taking now has been more of a problem.

Wishing your Mum well,

Paddy

My husband had a PET scan AFTER surgery (he couldn't tolerate the PET scan before surgery although they tried because he's claustrophobic and panicked halfway through). He also has adenocarcinoma and at first they thought he was IB with no evidence of any other involvement on the CT scan; but one of the lymph nodes, a mediastinum node, did turn out positive, so he was bumped up from IB to IIIA. In his case, and in almost all the cases that I'm aware of, the nodes are removed during surgery for biopsy, so it's gone, thank heavens.

The oncologist told us that if the lymph node had been in the lobe with the original tumour, he would have been IIA, but since it was in the mediastinum, it raised the ante somewhat, hence the IIIA diagnosis. He also said that WITHOUT any further treatment, chemo or otherwise, he had a 33% chance of being completely cured right now. The chemo would raise that chance by 15 percentage points or so.

We had originally been told that if nothing else were found that they probably would not do any further treatment. That, of course, went out the window with the discovery of the one node. But since then, there seems to be a change in thinking. I had read in the NY Times that at the most recent conference of oncologists, they changed that "protocol" because of tests that showed a much greater survival rate in patients who underwent chemo after surgery even in stage I. Our oncologist said that they probably would have recommended chemo now because of that (it's changed just within the last month so it's brand new).

We're hoping that the chemo works its wonders and doesn't play havoc with his system. And, like everyone else, we're keeping all possible body parts crossed.

Hope all goes well for your mother -- the two of them sound as if they're sort of in the same boat. Keep us posted.

Ellen

well, you guys were right...the surgeon did remove the node that was cancerous. So, as of now, all the cancer has been removed. I'm so glad I found this forum...all the support and info that I'm learned from everyone has been great.

I will be calling the oncologist to set up an appt. today to see where we go from here (chemo, etc.).

My mom has been home since Friday, but since coming home, he hasn't been very active. She said that besides the pain from the surgery, she feels fine...no headaches, etc. However she is lying in bed most of the day. She gets up to walk around the house about 3 times a day for a few minutes, but not much else. She said she will when the pain subsides a little more, but right now walking is still painful. I told her to sit on the recliner we got her, but she said that she can't stay in a sitting position for that long either. Since being home, she has sat on the recliner only 3 times and all 3 times was less then 30 mins.

I'm a little concern b/c I'm afraid that her recovery is going to be slow unless she forces herself to be a little more active. Of course, I have no clue re the pain she's going thru. Can someone tell me if how my mom is feeling is normal and how long it will take before she will be up to doing more? She doesn't seem depressed, so I don't think that she's feeling sorry for herself. I bring my 3-week old son into her room at least 3 times a day and my 3-year old daughter is constantly going into grandma's room to "play" with her, so I believe my mom is in good spirit. I'm just wanted to know if how my mom is feeling/acting is normal and if there's anything that I can to encourage her to do more, if that's what needs to be done.

Your mom is exhausted from the surgery, most likely. That kind of surgery is a big hit on the body!

You don't say if she is prefering lying on her side or on her back to lying on the recliner. Perhaps the bed is just softer...

She's being dutiful if she's doing a lap 3x a day. If she can keep that up, it's great.

If you are concerned about her lack of activity, ask the doctor. I suspect you want to DO something for her, and you're feeling a wee big frustrated...

You aren't saying if she's eating well, and sitting up to do that.

Has she tried reclining in the recliner? (Is this a new chair, by the way..) or just sitting....

Glad they got all the cancer out, and that she's home. I know it's soon to be home after surgery, I was useless for many weeks after I got out, and very shaky, and I was in hospital much longer than your mom.

Meanwhile, prayers for you all...

XOXOXX

MaryAnn

sorry for always being so vague. My mom is eating well. She's almost eating the same amount as before surgery. She's eating in smaller portions now, but she does have an appetite. I knew things were ok on that front when she asked me to go buy her a bag of her favorite chips :lol:

As for the recliner...it's a brand new electric one that we got her. It was the best one that they had at Lazy-Boy. She said that it's comfortable amd she likes it, but she's just not able to sit on it for too long. She said that she will keep trying, so that's good news.

My recliner was the only way I could sleep for 3 weeks after surgery but I guess each of us is different. They took out all of my thorasic nodes and the mediastinal nodes on the same side as the surgery. But, because one of the mediastinal nodes was positive on one test they did think I should take chemo and radiation. Since that time I have read of many studies that have shown that chemo and radiation do improve the chances for even early stage lung cancer, so I am glad I took them. If she is getting up several times a day to walk and is eating well, it sounds like she is doing ok. Just encourage her to do more each day and to take her pain meds on time....its easier to prevent the pain than to stop it after it takes hold. The meds will improve her abilitiy to walk and get some exercise. They had me do arm exercises and I am glad that I did them. You simply stand in a doorway and "walk" your hand up the door jam. Do the same with the other arm. It will help keep the scar tissue from tightening up and causing pain later. Hope she continues to get better.

Nina