More Adventures in La La Land

Guest NowakowDA

Guest NowakowDA

My mother is going bonkers, lupy, goofy, crackers or what ever you want to call it, she's going there. Until last night Mom's goofy periods were the exception. Not now!. I had the cr*p scared out of me last night. I managed to lay down and dose off about midnight. About an hour later I heard a noise. When I opened my eyes I say my mother standing in my bedroom closet. Like a fool, I asked what she was doing. She told me that she had to go to the bathroom. Have you ever seen one of those cartoons where one of the animated characters is so surprised or shocked that his jaw hits the floor. Picture me there in that scene. Needless to say I did not go back to sleep last night. Several times during the night I had to help Mom up from the bed, lead her across the floor to her bathroom and help her set down on the pot. When she wasn't scaring the cr*ap out of me, all she wanted to do was sleep. Right now I swear that woman could sleep 26 hours per day without breaking a sweat.

Yesterday evening I called her primary care provider (Michael Servilla) and told him that Mom's goofy periods were starting to sting together into one big one. Michael told me that he didn't see patients on Thursday but that I should bring Mom by the clinic and he would give her the once over. He has not seen her since the big bomb dropped back on May 22nd BC. That's BC (Before Cancer).

The result of this visit to the clinic is that Michael thinks her behavior could be caused by several factors. It could be caused by a drop in her blood oxygen. It could be a result of her not getting enough fluids. It could be that the big C has spread to the frontal lobe of her brain and she's loosing her cognitive functions. Huh??? It could be a small stroke. It could be, it could be, it could be. I swear, if I hear those three words once more I will “plotz” right in the middle of town at high noon. Michael said that the combination of a low fluid level, the amount of energy she had to expend yesterday, plus a dip in her O2 level could have triggered this. He told me I should turn up her O2 to 3ltrs, have her drink more fluids and use her inhalers more. Getting my mother to take more fluid plus her Azmacort and Albuterol inhalers is like getting politicians to stop lying. They say they want to, but they never do.

I've noticed a small change in Mom's mood. Not much, but it's there. Any more I don't ask her if she's hungry, thirsty or if she wants to take her medicine. I just put the stuff down in front of her.

She goes for her MRI this Sunday at 10:30. This coming Monday, we're off to Santa Fe for the PET scan at 10:00. The woman that made the appointment for the PET scan gave me lots of instructions. First, nothing to eat after 2 or 3 in the morning. Second, her last meal on Sunday should be high in protein and low in carbs. Third, bring a change of clothes for her. HUH??? She said that there are two side effects you can have. You can be plugged up or you can end up with the runs. This brings me to my latest worry. Her plumbing. Mom has no trouble going No. 1 but No. 2 can be a bit of a problem. I wish that there was some way I could slip the Milk of Magnesia into her food!!!

Is this all getting to me. Nope, not a bit. Now if you will excuse me. I am the emperor of France and my army awaits. I wonder if it's my right or left hand I put in my coat. If I could only find where my empires Josephine has gone to.

Don

Wow, Don -

You really have a lot to deal with, but I'm happy that you can still keep a sense of humor going. I know this is all terribly stressful, but it sounds like you are doing wonderfully handling it.

If your mom doesn't like taking the Milk of Magnesia, maybe she'd do better with Sennakot tablets. Doctors and nurses didn't tell me that the pain killers cause constipation until my husband was already suffering with it. Then they said he should take the Sennakot or Sennalax every time he took the pain killer. Ask the doctor -- there are other things she can take for it too.

Hang in there! Wishing you great success for your trip Monday.

Gloria

Don,

No need to sneak the Milk of Mag into her food. Give her a bran muffin, prunes, or a glass of prune juice. Lot's of natural things that should get her going again. Keep pushing the fluids also.

All the best, hang in there...

Rochelle

Don,

Wow, I hope the scans isolate what's going on with your Mother. I use the dictator approach myself to get Earl to eat, drink and take meds. But he really is a pussycat.

I saw the picture of your cornation, that looked like one heck of a party.

Did you ever think or the doctor mention that some of her problems and behavior are from the meds she is on? Those medications do cause that kind of behavior and just the fact that you spoke of her constipation tells me that she is probably on some form of pain medication. I would guess Vicodin. Bensodapines such as Xanax or especially Ativan also can cause such behavior. Seems to me that her doctor touched on every other posibility but avoided the meds. It would be worth checking out. Look up the meds that she is taking on the web. Good luck just remember ask questions and take nothing for granted. Lillian

Guest NowakowDA

Oh, my, God! I forgot about the hat. My concern about Mom's plumbing has to do with the fact that she has had a bowl obstruction twice during the last eight years. Both times she had to be hospitalized. The last time she was in the hospital on January 1st, 2000. The gave her something to try and relieve the obstruction. It did work, but when it worked Mom was on the x-ray machine getting a picture taken of her inerds. Talk about welcoming in the New Year. The big ball drop in Times Square couldn't compete with Mom that night. I don't think that this was exactly a Kodak moment.

Aksent? Wat aksent. M tieping de perfec Anglise. All u uders isid tieping wiv de aksent. Well, I'm off to conquer Russia or the refrigerator. Viva la krazy!

Don

P.S. Send mail to his Imperial majesty at St. Elba

Don,

Good luck to you, trying to get through the weekend.

I pray when the scans etc are finished you will have some answers.

Meantime I pray you find strength, and keep your sense of humor.

You're certainly doing your absolute best for Mom.

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers, always

MaryAnn

Ya das est der prunes by the plenty there Don~ Plus, youbetcha, I'd hid whatever vitamins minerals and juices I can/could and DO in my husband's drinks and food~ Maybe if you tell her it's a type of fermented wine she won't balk??? Who knows? I told my husband his Metamuscil was Oregano in the stroganoff - who knew??

I am sure of one thing however, your mother is lucky to have such a pro-active, concerned and understanding son as you to be her advocate.

We're all here for you and wish you lots of hope and continued strength on your journey - keep coming back~

Beth