Every day is a struggle

silkee

Hi Everyone, on Jan. 23, 2004, my mother lost her battle with NSCLC. Maybe some of you knew her. Her name was Marsha, and she was from Eastlake, OH. I am still struggling with this, and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I am so grateful that I was by her side, holding her hand while she slipped away, but I feel like my world has ended. I've decided to dedicate my life to fighting this disease- it is the least I can do for her. I am just so disgusted with the treatment that LC patients get- not the chemo, but the quality of care. She was treated at one of the best hospitals in the country, but yet I always felt like she was being treated as a second-rate citizen because of the stigma associated with LC. It sickens me. I know that there are support groups in the area, but nothing seems to be geared toward LC. Does anyone out there know of any groups in the Cleveland area? Thx, Tia

• 1 month later...

silkee, my deepest sympathy for your loss. It is very recent, and your anger is normal.

I know how enraged I was with certain aspects of my husband's care. He was treated royally at the hospital until it became apparent he would not survive. Then the doctors turned their backs on him, and treated him as though he didn't matter anymore - as though he were not a real person any more.

I cannot tell you how this still pains me to think about.

Write a letter, putting down all your thoughts and feelings about your mom's care. Put the letter away for a month, and if you still feel your complaints are legitimate at the end of that time, send it.

I did this with a home nursing service, and did send the letter and it was somewhat theraputic to get that anger, hurt and resentment out. I still feel I did the right thing.

Silkee,

My mom is Marsha too.

I am so sorry you lost your mom to this disease. I commend you for wanting to take action and do something!!!

I dont have any info on your location, but if you would like please post in the Activism forum, we are trying to get things going, it has been quiet.

Wishing you the best

Hi Silkee,

I don't know what happened with this thread. It's dated June 18, but there wasn't a single post until recently. That's weird, and I apologize that there weren't any other responses to you. Did you by any chance post this in more than one forum? Maybe that's what happened. Anyway, I am very sorry for the loss of your mother in January. Losing a parent is really hard. I just lost my dad a few weeks ago, not to lung cancer, but to a lung disease - COPD. I know it leaves a big hole in your heart and I pray that your days will become better and better. I don't know anything about groups in Cleveland, but perhaps someone else does.

God bless you,

Peggy