Metstasis to Liver

Guest sandra.sobotka

Guest sandra.sobotka

My Dad was diagnosed with staqe 4 lung cancer in 11/03 at age 78. He had Carboplatin/Taxol chemo and has recently been on a 2 month break. We just got his Chest and Brain CT scans back. It appears that the cancer has now spread to the brain (2 small spots), the bones (1 rib), the right adrenal and their are multiple lessions in the liver. His Oncologist started him on Iressa today and he will start radiation to the brain next week. However, the oncologist is not hopeful with such a rapid progression of disease and has recommended hospice to consider. Dad is still doing ok at home. A little wobbly, but his appetite is good and I am not willing to give up on Dad yet.

Anything we should be aware of in terms of medicines or anything else which should be done prior/during treatment which will help Dad get through whole brain radiation?

Any hope for multiple liver lessions?

Sandra

Sandra,

My husband has multiple tumors in his liver that were dx'd early Oct. Since then he has been on Carbo/Taxol, Iressa and now Temodar. The liver tumors have remained stable since dx on this treatment.

WBR is another story. I would try to ask the drs. about sterotactic radiation, if possible. I am not sure, but I think the WBR did alot of damage to my husband, again not sure. He is not a blubbering idiot by any means and if in fact the WBR has bought him the 20 months he has had since, then we would do it again, absolutely.

Hope you get good results.

First off let me say that I'm sorry you're in this position. My dad, 71, was diagnosed with lc in Feb. He now has two liver mets for which I'm told there is no treatment. A lot of people suggested RFA, but my dad's onc said that is normally used for people who cannot have radiation for one reason or another (i.e. a former breast cancer patient treated with radiation who develops lung cancer.) I don't have a lot of answers on the brain radiation, but I'm sure others here will be able to help you. Iwould suggest doing just what you're doing - watch his appetite and try to build up his strength reserves and continuing showing him your love. Never give up hope!

Barbara,

Not sure about the liver lesions or brain radiation, but strongly recommend at least familiarizing yourself and your Dad with what the hospice program is all about.

You can call in Hospice without giving up hope, and I'm sure you will find it very helpful whether your Dad gets better or not. I think it's better to be introduced too early rather than too late. My father passed away recently in the comfort of his own home w/ his four daughters and wife by his side. Without the help, education and support that our local hospice program provided us with, things would have been so much more difficult during Dad's last few days. I actually felt at peace when he took his last breath and had no regrets of not having said what I wanted to say to him or done what I wanted to do for him. Without hospice and/or without reading the book "Final Gifts", I'm not sure how I would have felt.

Hi Sandra,

My husband had WBR and really did quite well with it. He got a little fuzzy headed, repeated himself some, and just seemed kind of slow to respond, and even talked a little sluggish for a while toward the end of the treatments, and after, but those things did go away and I don't see any effects at this time and he is out 10 months since WBR. The treatment reduced the tumors about 30% and 2 out of 8 disappeared. He was then given Novalis (a type of stereotactic radiosurgery) to the remaining mets, got a little more shrinkage, and 2 more disappeared. The brain MRI early this month was stable.

Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted on your dad's progress.

God bless you,

Peggy

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Sandra

Sometimes with just 2 lesions in the brain and considering his age, the rad onc will recommend stereotactic radiation. I understand that Novalis has been shown to be a good treatment.

As to lesions on the liver, I have two and there is no definite dx indicated on the report other than they could be benign or malignant. (Sarcastic: Well, gee, that narrows it down).

I'm waiting on a doctor's appt. to discuss this and the increased occlusions shown on my lung x-ray. (I saw my films but not him yet). I do know that by the age of 70 or 80, many people show lesions on their liver which are normal. Most of them are hemangiomas.

My daughter works in the field of organ transplantation and was saying yesterday that by the age of 6 months, most people show some abnormality in their hearts which is not seen until autopsy. She was speaking Greek about fenestrations and leaflets and got me pretty confused but the upshot is that many things such as lesions on the liver and supposed abnormalities of various organs are expected/normal as we age.

Cat

Guest sandra.sobotka

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. My Dad (Eugene) starts whole brain radiation today. Please say a prayer for him that he makes it through this without losing all his strength.

On the chemo side, he as been taking Iressa since Friday. No side effects yet that we can tell. Although he does seem more tired. I'll keep you posted.

God bless,

Sandra