Research Help.

Tammy

I am looking to find the best Dr in our area for my Mom if she will need surgery for her cancer. I found one site that has some states that shows how many surgeries that were performed I thought that was very interesting but it don't have PA in there. Does anyone know were I can look to find out what the hopitals in PA experience is? There is a hospital in MD that we are familar with that is about an hour away that has a very good history for care but Moms Dr suggested one here in PA. My thought is if the hospital that he will perform this at only has had 20 cases and the other hospital has 160 I want the one that has had more cases. I need help here this is a serious operation as all of you know and I want to find so info. THanks!!!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

My family is also in PA as well (an hour north of Philly). Mom goes to Fox Chase and we like it so far.'

In terms of where you should take your mom to have surgery if she needs it...Please do not take into account an hour of travel time vs.twenty minutes vs. two hours. When we are talking about our lives...we can spare no expense or amount of time.

When my mother's doctors at UPenn didn't perform the way we wanted them too..we brought her to Boston!!! Although financial issues may be a concern for you...remember that most major cancer centers have programs intact to help people travel to see their doctors. I work at Dana Farber/Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and I know we have tons of resources available for people who need to travel to our area for treatments.

I don't know the specific names of any surgeons but if you have found one in MD...that has a good track record...go there. Don't even think twice about it. Your mom's doctor has an obligation to reccommend his local colleagues...even if they aren't the best around

Good luck

Laura[/img]

You probably are referring to Hopkins. But if you go a little further there is also Georgetown and the National cancer institute offers clinical trials.

Has someone determined her stage and that she is a candidate for surgery?

I guess Johns Hopkin - Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center may be closer than fox chase. But people on here rave about fox chase

Take care

Thanks for all of your help. I am with the rest of you on traveling I don't care if it takes 6hrs to get to a place its a major surgery and most of all its her life we are talking about. She was diagnosed in April with Stage III B Adeno. She has had 2 treatments of Taxotere and Cisplatin once every 3 weeks. Her Dr called her the other day and told her that her tumor has shrunk from 6cm to 4cm and that he was very happy with that. As of right now he is sending her CT scans to a Radiologist and a Surgeon to see what the next step is. He feels just because the lung Dr said it was inopertable that don't mean thats the case. If a surgeon can't do surgery than she will have to have radiation everyday for 6 weeks along with Chemo once a week a very low dose of Chemo. I was refering to John Hopkins that is an hr away and my Uncle had his lung removed and thats where he went it is a very good hospital. I just don't feel comfortable with the country Dr around here. Her Dr told her thatshe is welcome to go to any Dr that she wishes this is one that he just recommends. It is very frustrating for me because my parents want local (convience) and I want the best Dr!!!! Thanks for all your help.

God Bless you all!!!

Tammy

Tammy,

Dr. Melvyn Goldberg at Fox Chase Cancer Center performed by husband's surgery last Dec. My husband has had no ongoing problems due to his surgery - no neuropathy etc.

I would recommend him and Fox Chase.

Dr. Goldberg is a Thoracic Surgeon and only operates on lung and esophagial cancer patients. He is probably 55 or 60 so he has probably done this surgery a bzillion times.