Who has liver mets? Please let me know.

jcawork

Jen

You can do a search to find lots of info on liver mets that people on the board have had. They can be treated. The search function is at the top of the page. Norme's husband Buddy had liver mets. I cant remember who else, but I know that if there are only a few small lesions that RFA can be done.

Mainly, though I want to let you know that I completely understand how you might feel. I too am in my forties. Since DX, my days have gotten somewhat smoother. But what you are feeling and your fears are completely normal. I and many others are here for you. PM me if you want and/or I can call you.

elaine

Jen

I also want to say something else. I know that many people on the board with small cell started chemo within a day or two of the initial dx even without all the tests being done, I guess. The reason being that small cell is very agressive much of the time. I can't understand why they have delayed you again. This does not sound right to me, but maybe someone else can chime in here. I am not a dr and I am not even doing chemo, but I have read nearly every post on this board and waiting so long with small cell seems not the norm.

If I were you and you want treatment, I would call my oncs office and demand an answer as to why others you know of were started immediately on chemo and you have had to wait so long.

elaine

Elaine...you make a good point. I just talked to Jen...and she says they may biopsy the liver tomorrow and then chemo might start the day after that....which is, of course, what she is pushing for. To get the show on the road.

I hope you don't mind my jumping in with this Jen....but I want everyone to know that you aren't planning on putting up with any unnecessary delays either...in getting treatment going!

I'm pleased to read the replies of others here who say that liver mets have remained stable over a long period of time.

Jen,

I have extensive SCLC with mets to liver as my origanal diagnosis. The Carboplantin and VP-16 (Epistopide sp?) I took was for 6 21 day cycles. I was dx on Oct 20 and started treatment on Nov11 (over 2 weeks). Extensive stage only gets spot radiation as a pallative, so I received none. I had chemo only and it put me in remission, including clearing up the lesions in my liver. Hang in there my dear, it's all really scary, but we will be here for you.

Blessings

Betty

Jen

I didnt' mean to scare you or worry you needlessly. I just wanted to make sure that you were assertive with your doctors. They are hard to talk to, I know. And what seems harder is for them to listen. Not all of them, I'm sure. But many doctors are that way.

Is this your first abdomen CT? Did you have one initially? Oh well, keep us posted. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

elaine

Jen, I had liver mets when first dx'd.....after 2 cycles of chemo, they had shrunk by 1/2 if not more (and the one lesion seen on the adrenal gland is gone). SCLC likes to migrate from the lung to the liver, adrenal, bone and brain. These are common mets. Hopefully, your chemo regimen will kill off the mets in your liver.

You have to be strong and be positive......Mary :)

Thanks for the feedback. Here is my story.

12/03-5/04 I complained of cough and feeling bad all xrays clear until 5/11/04 (they missed the mass on the 3/04 xray)

then I had to have 2 biopsies because the first one was inclonclusive-this of course took a bit of time to get these scheduled and get results

pet, MRI's, ct scans etc........

then I took a wek off thinking I would go to Fla to see my family, as my Doc would be out of town same week and I didnt want to start w/ him out of town

I also did 3 second opinions including Georgetown this took a week.

I then asked for a repeat CT for baseline (head, chest and abdom) since it had been a month and BOOM! 2 cm mass on my liver. I did not have an abdominal CT because the PET was clear in this area just a month before.

My Onc. says if its a met I will get cis and cpt11 if its still limited I will get cis avp16 and he needs to know before we start

tried to get in sooner for the biopsy, but couldnt called 4 hosiptals.

Yes, I am neervous about the wait. I am nervous about everything. I almost cant live w/ the thought this if its extensive. Everything you read is so horrible. Do I have only months?