liver lesions - how do they know it's cancer

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm confused. I have liver lesions but the onc and radiologist just dismissed them in a "who cares", "they're nothing", "don't bother about it".

How can they know. After all, they already made a BIG mistake in my diagnosis. I see lots of talk about liver lesions and I don't recall any of those with the lesions having biopsies on the lesions. I understand that's the only way you can be sure. However, from reading the posts, it seems that most doctors see lesions in the liver of LC patient as malignant.

But why? Do any of the doctors explain why they think it's liver cancer.

I know this is probably hard to talk about but if anyone feels like clearing this up or explaining their situation, I would really really appreciate it. Thanks.

Cat

Cat,

I have something on my liver the surgeon thinks is a cyst, because it isn't changing any. He's not worried about it but I think he's keeping an eye on it in case it does change.

Ask your doctor why he isn't concerned? or is he just LESS concerned?

Prayers,

XOXOX

MaryAnn

Cat,

Don't know the answer. But, my husband's doctor has dismissed a lesion that is on one of his kidneys. He says a lot people have them and it isn't anything. Perhaps someone knows about kidney lesions as well. THanks for asking the question. Take care.

When I had my abdominal CT...they found a lesion/cyst?? on a kidney, an adrenal gland AND one ovary. The only one they followed up on was the one on my ovary. In fact, tomorrow I have another U/S to make sure it's unchanged.

But...I asked my Onc about following up on the two cysts or whatever they are...on my kidney and adrenal...and he said there was no need...they were nothing to worry about!!

I know with the ovary, they were concerned about another primary cancer but apparently nobody is concerned about the other two cysts/lesions. I will ask again about them because I'd like a little more assurance as to exactly WHAT they are or how sure any of the docs are about what they are.

Sometimes, it's hard to know what the docs are thinking and even when you ask...the answer doesn't completely satisfy...or else other concerns seem more pressing, I guess.

But Cat...I'd push for an explanation. If nothing else, it will ease your mind to have your questions fully answered.

I will try to answer and I might be wrong, but from my understanding, they can often tell by the shape of the mass. If it has irregular shape it is more likely to be cancer. Also they can tell by the pace in which it does or does not change is size. Also there are many benign things happening on nearly everyone's kidneys and liver. Those who read scans know what these things look and act like, I would hope. However, it is also a fact that without a biopsy, the doctors are giving educated guesses. Hopefully, they are giving well-educated guesses.

Hope this helps.

elaine

the other thing they look at is whether or not the mass is filled with fluid. If its a met it will (usually) be solid. If it's a cyst it is fluid filled, and the appearance of a solid mass and a fluid fill cyst are very, very different on a scan. Sometimes a cyst can form around a solid lesion, but then the appearance is one of a hypoechoic cyst, and that looks quite a bit different from a benign cystic mass.

Cat,

maybe it's time to change doctors. Maybe it's time to move to where you daughter is and find new docs. Ones you can trust. I know how hard it can be do this, because I've done it. You're never going to trust the one you have now. And rightfully so, after what he pulled on you. Time for a new start....It's never too late for a new beginning.

(((((Cat))))))

You're never going to trust the one you have now.

You're so right. I keep trying to justify his behavior because I'm so scared to change at this point. Yet my intellect realizes he's not a very good doctor and I sure as he(double hockey sticks) will never be able to trust him.

Cat

Cat,

My philosophy in life is to go with your instincts, your instincts are telling you that your doctor may not know what he should, I agree with Fay..Dont be scared to switch doctors, just think it could be the best thing for you...

Cat,

People try to reach a 'comfort level' in our lives, and one of the things that makes me very uncomfortable is the unknown.

In this case it's like standing on the gangplank. Your choices are diving into potentially shark infested waters, but if you try to reboard the ship the crew-who have supported the mutiny-and your navigator-the Onc you can't trust-are the ones you'll be entrusting with your life.

If it turns out that the new Onc isn't what you need, find a another new one. And keep at it until you find one who is as interested in saving your life as you are. There are good docs out there, ones who recognize that we all mistakes, and the best way is to acknowledge them and make corrections, not pretend they haven't occurred, or cover them up. There is no reason to settle for someone who isn't as committed to your life as you are. We patients are not walking, talking potential lawsuits. We're human beings.

I decided to take the dive...come on in. The water's fine. Well, maybe not fine....it's cold, and it smells fishy and there are things I can't see nibbling at my toes, but hey, I'm still alive, the sun is shining, the water is a beautiful shade of blue, and they say swimming is great exercise. :wink:

I know it's scarey, Cat. I'm holding your hand in cyberspace.