I really need your support

ginnyde

ohhh Ginny how I understand. My brother never knew the real truth until shortly before he passed on and he only accepted it when his body made him as his mind did not want to. When he did he was sad, yes but he did come to a peaceful acceptance. I was able to talk with him about his wishes right down to what he wanted for services and what he wanted to wear etc. It was important stuff to me that he have what he wanted. I am sure the Duke will not want to accept this either but there comes a time that you do. He will need you more now than he ever has to help him accept this and live out the rest of his life. I know the helpless feeling you have. It's just awful. he will feel as helpless if not more. Be his ROCK !! My prayers and love are with you both.

God bless you,

Jane

I hope it's okay that I'm posting this. I went to search out the lyrics as I remember them from "the old days"....as somehow, it just feels there may be a message in these lyrics....or at the very least, some comfort and sense of knowing just what these words mean. Ginny...Earl....this song's for you:

As I walk through this world

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

And-a you, you are my girl

And no one can hurt you, oh no

Yes-a, I, oh I'm gonna love you, oh oh

Come on let me hold you darlin'

'Cause I'm the Duke of Earl

So hey yea yea yeah

And when I hold you

You'll be my Duchess, Duchess of Earl

We'll walk through my dukedom

And a paradise we will share

Yes-a, I, oh I'm gonna love you, oh oh

Nothing can stop me now

So hey yeah yeah yeah

Well, I, oh I'm gonna love you, oh oh

Nothing can stop me now

So hey yeah yeah yeah

Ginnyde,

I am so sorry hon. The news you got was not good and it just makes me so sad to know what you are going through. Take a couple of deep breaths and follow your heart.

You are both in my prayers. May God hold you close tonight, and give you hope for tomorrow.

warm hugs to you both,

Shirleyb

Ginny,

Your posts and updates on the Duke have been a constant since I first signed up on the board. I have never met him nor spoken to him but you have given me the gift of knowing him through your words.. Because of you, I have shared the happiness and now the sadness of this man I have never met.

You don't ever have to ask for my support Ginny, it is always here for you. Whatever comes your way, whatever decisions are made, I will always be here rooting for you and the Duke....

Ginny,

Once again, I am so sorry for this news. I'm sure you are overwhelmed with a feeling of despair. I know that feeling well. Remember what you told me when I got bad news - the first few days are the worst. In a few days, you will both feel better about all this. You may not have any answers by then, but some of this heavy weight of today and tonight will lift. At a time like this no words are adequate, and the only thing that helps is great big long bear hugs and tears. I think you've got a lot of all of that here today, and here's one big bear hug from me, too.

((((((((((((((((((((GINNY))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Addie: Wow! That was great what you posted - just great!

Love,

Peggy

Oh no Ginney. That is not what we wanted to hear. I am so very saddened to read what the doctor has told you. Your pain is so obvious and it breaks my heart. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. I also agree that if Earl has hope and wants to continue the fight, then it is not right for that to be taken away from him. And besides, as long as there is breath, there is hope. Miracles do happen. We've all seen it before from stories posted on this website. I don't know what else to say. I am so sorry.

Jana

xxx

Ginny,

From what you are discribing about Earl's alertness, I am torn between what you should do. One hand says you probably need a lot more help then you have and hospice is good for that but the other says he is alert and walking, (i suppose he is walking) and his mind is very clear plus you say he is eating.

Buddy was no where anything like the above. He was in another world in his mind toward the end and could not walk or eat before I called in hospice.

What about WHR, has Earl had this. I can't remember. What about Gamma Knife on the liver? Can you take off a little and get things going again for him. Don't give up if he is alert, eating and walking....or two out of three....unless Earl wants to stop.....

Ginny

I am so sorry the results were not better. I am with Katie and some of the others on here- if Earl is not ready to give up this fight, then there is still hope. Be strong with him, and for him. We are here for both of you.

Love and best wishes.

Karen

Ginny,

I am so very sorry to hear this news. I am praying for you and Earl. I wish I had some answers for more treatments. I hate this disgusting disease. Please stay strong for both you and Earl. God bless.

Ginny, I can only add my love and best wishes for the two of you. Oh, how I wish nobody every had this awful disease. The love between the two of you is oh, so evident in your pictures and in every post.

((((Ginny and Duke))))

Gloria

Ginny-

The unfairness of it all is beyond belief. I wish my tears and clenching heart were of some use to you, but all I can really do is say how much I admire you both and pray for God's grace for the very best outcome. Tough times, for you both, and I'm soooo sorry. Love and hugs.

Ginny, I am so sad for the two of you. Tonight will be hard on both of you and I pray you have the comfort of our prayers to help you. I know that whatever you and the Duke decide will be the right choice for both of you. If he wants to fight...go for it. You are in my prayers Ginny. I admire you and the Duke for your obvious love and caring for each other. Again, I am so sad I don't really know what to say.

Nina

GinnyD,

I know the decision is really up to Earl as long as he is able to make the decsion, which he seems to be from what you say.

If you get a good hospice, what they are supposed to do besides dispense meds, is to offer emotional and if needed or wanted spiritual support for the family and the "patient." I don't know if Earl has someone he can talk with or not. In our case, the hospice people did not turn out to be people my dad would talk to.

My father did not want to talk about end of life issues it seemed--and who could blame him since it was clear to me that Doctors and even his own wife were trying to talk him out of fighting. He fought and even survived not being taken to dialysis and given mega doses of morphine, having his heart medications withheld and allergic reactions to whatever other drugs were in the hospice medicine bundle.

It's a long story, but the outcome of his surviving that was he did eventually ask to speak with his minister. What my father told me is that the minister assured him that if he did choose not to go back into the hospital and to stop aggressive treatment that it would not be considered suicide. The hospice chaplain did try to befriend my dad, but she was not his style. She wanted to hold his hand and sing hymns with him. That was not my dad, a very religious person nontheless.

My point here is that sometimes there are things that maybe are nagging at a person facing life threatening illnesses or situations and that if they don't talk about it, it's impossible to guess what it might be. I never imagined that my father was worried about that.

It's kind of ironic but I was probably the only family member who supported my dad getting medical intervention and aggressive treatment in his last few months. I fought for him to get it. I did so because he ALWAYS indicated to me that he wanted it. When he made the decision to stop, I then supported that, knowing that it was HIS decision and no one else's. People kept saying that my dad was in total denial or had lost the ability to understand the gravity of his situation. No way. My dad knew. He chose to take things in his own hands, as he had done all through his over 20 years of illness.

Your Earl is a smart man. I have faith he will do what he believes is best, and with your love and support.

Elaine

I am so sorry for you and Earl. At this moment, if Earl chooses to try other options such as WBR, go ahead as he wishes.

From my experience, I will suggest you to treasure every moment that you now have with him, tell him how much you love him, share the memories together and let him say whatever he wants before he is unable to talk. If time can be reversed and if somebody told me about that honestly, I will keep on talking with my dad.

I am sorry again. I will pray for you two.