New to this board

renee_ky

Hello all- This is the first time I have posted on this board. It looks like a wonderful place. My husband is 44 yrs old, and was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in December 2003. His cancer was not limited. By the time it was DX, it had spread to his hip, liver, spine, lymph nodes and brain. Radiation successfully removed the tumors from his brain. By choice, he stopped chemo in March. At this time he is not on any pain meds, or any med for that matter. He is still able to push himself to do the things he enjoys. Per a discussion I had with his cncologist yesterday, these days will soon end.

I look forward to talking to everyone!

Renee

Hello and welcome to the board. You will find that this board is filled with warm, caring and wonderful people who will give you support and will answer any and all your questions. Please read on for there a lot to learn from the stories of the wonderful members of this board.

Theresa

Renee,

Sorry you had to find this amazing group of people because of the beast! Your husband is young. So, fight, fight, fight. There are so many post from people with similar DX & they seem to be doing well.

Also SCLC reacts very well to chemo. My lung cancer was gone after 2 chemo treatments but we continued to have the best chance to get all cells. Also did chest RAD & Whole Brain Rad for 2 brain mets. Last week I scanned clean!!! You never know.

Good luck to you both & I will send off some positive energy your way. Hope to hear from you again. Try the SCLC group. Lots of info there.

Rachel

Rachel- Thank you! I needed to hear that someone has so far beat this thing! I spoke to the omcolgist yesterday,and explained a few things that are now happening with Scott. He said it sounds like the cancer cells have started growing agin! He wanted me to bring him in to be checks, because as you know, this cancer is fast! But unfortunately, he is out of town for 2 weeks, so he can not see the Doctor. He will eb home July 3rd, his appointment is July 6th. Needless to say, I am a basket case, and will be until he is home safely. I miss him terribly! I would have gone with him, but 2 weeks in another country (his friend is getting married) was not an option for me, because I have to work.

I am praying for his safe return. The Doctor said things that has me so close to CRAZY this week.

Thank you for your response. Keep the positive vibes coming, I will try to bounce them back to you! Congratulations on your success!!

Renee

Renee,

I'm sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you found us.

If your husband continues in his decision to not have chemo please let him know that he is not alone in that. There is even a forum here (The Path Less Travelled) for those of us who have chosen that road.

What ever your husband's choice may be, know that there are folks here who have walked before him and are ready to be there for him and you.

Dean

Renee,

This has to be a difficult time for you and I'm glad you found us. Scott is so young that it is even more disturbing. I hope that he safely returns and, if treatment is meant for him, that it works out to be successful and greatly extends his life and, therefore, your lives together. If you haven't seen this website, it might be helpful: www.blochcancer.org There is a section Letter to Newly Diagnosed.

I look forward to learning more about you and Scott. In the meantime, prayers...

Margaret

Hi Renee and WELCOME!

I think you will be very glad you found this website. You will get more support, love and concern here than probably anyplace else on earth. Church is good, too, of course, but the thing that is so special here is that you can talk, talk, talk, talk about the disease as much as you want. You can talk about the details, the technical stuff, the treatments, the feelings, the ups and downs. You can talk use expressions like PET, NED, ED, onc, rad, dx, tx, NSCLC, SCLC, PCI and WBR and we all know what you're talking about. People on the outside hearing those things would probably think we're talking about computer viruses. Our wonderful friends and family just don't get into the depth that we all really need.

I'm so glad you found us, but as others say, we sure wish you didn't have to.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Renee,

My husband was diagnosed with Extensive Small Cell in Sept. He finished his first line of treatment of Radiation and Chemo in January, and has staarted again because of new lynph and thyroid invlolvement as of April 22.

The Doctors were sure he had only months to live. First i had prayed he would see Thanksgivng, then it was Christmas and New Years, then he made it to his birthday and now Fathers day. Now I am hoping for our anniversary August 15th, this is also the day he started becomming ill(loss of voice because of tumor in the chest on nerve) had lost so much weight and would do nothing but sleep. So we have a made it a year almost now, now I have become greedy and hopefully we will get to do repeat all the holidays I looked forward to last year.

Prayers and Hugs for you both

Rosemary

I am overwhelmed with all of the warm welcomes. I hope I can help many of you as well, even if it is just listening.. or maybe pick you up when you are feeling down. Like me, I know you are all on an emotional roller coasters. For me, it is very difficult not being able to discuss this with my husband. If I try to talk about it, he gets upset, and tells me that he does not have cancer.. he was mis-diagnosed. Or, he will say he had cancer, but it is gone. I am sometimes not sure if it is denial, or if he has really convinced himself, or maybe he is trying to protect me. In the beginning, jhe spoke very openly about it, but he will no longer do that. They determined his type of cancer from his hip. The hip was so badly affected, it actually broke while we were on our way to the Doctors office to hear that he had cancer, and was terminally ill. He had a full hip replacement before they started chemo in December.

Since he has decided to no longer take chemo, I have respected that decision. It hurts me to know he is dying. But, it also hurt me to see him suffering from the affects of a treatment regimen that could not cure him, but only make him very ill. I am thankful for the time that they say was bought with chemo, the last 6 months have been wonderful. Scott said he felt like he was making a deal with the devil whil taking chemo. I also admire his faith. He knows if God is ready to bring him home, he will.. no matter how he tries to delay it. I hope I am doing all I can to assure him I love him more than life. And, I hope the things I do will make a difference to him. I am sure it does.. I just sometimes question if I am doing enough.

I REALLY wish I could talk to him, but he is out of the country for 2 weeks. He just left Sunday and it seem like it has been an eternity! If I could talk to him while he is gone, it would not be so bad. But, where they are, there is no telephone and his cell phone will not work.

Thank you all very much for your kind words, and your prayers! My prayers are with you as well, and your families.

Welcome, Renee!

...and just a question to toss out there: Is there such a thing as a man that will talk when it is something HE is experiencing??

I have met men that talk when someone else is going through the bad stuff, but when it's their own body, they seem to hold it all close to the chest...

Keep logging in and working on your husband. Talk to the oncologist, know the options so if the topic is EVER broached in your household, you know what side the bread is buttered on and what he COULD do and may want to try...

Good luck - and don't forget to take care of yourself, as well!

Becky

Becky- I suppose you are right, most men do not talk as openly as we would like. When I spoke to his oncologist, who I sometimes think is my counselor.. he told me not to expect it. He said #1, we men are MACHO.. and #2, the last person a man will (in his mind) burden, would be his wife.

Welcome Renee!

Sorry that you had the need to find us, but glad that you are here. The folks here are absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!! The most loving, caring group around. Hang in there and come back to chat with us often. There is a section for small cell lung cancer and also a general forum where you can ask just general questions. Oh yeah, don't forget the family members/caregivers section. If you feel the need for a good laugh, we have a just for laughs forum. (The girls pick on the guys a lot there, but it's all in fun!) Hope you come back often.

Angie

Guest bean_si (Not Active)
Scott said he felt like he was making a deal with the devil whil taking chemo. I also admire his faith. He knows if God is ready to bring him home, he will.. no matter how he tries to delay it.

I understand Scott's feelings. You're doing a tremendous job of supporting him. Good for you! Don't forget to take some time for yourself. Know that the people on this board are ready to listen to you and if you need to break down and rant and cry, it's okay. I ought to know - I do this regularly :oops: and so far no one here has disowned me. :shock::D

Cat

Renee,

My heart goes out to you, your emotions must be running riot. What a darned cruel disease this is, and so indiscriminate! Please see Dean's section on "The Path Less Travelled" if your husband still refuses to take chemo. I think he is very courageous and I do hope he will enjoy a good quality of life for a long, long time.

God Bless you both,

Paddy

I do regret we had to meet this way, but I am glad you found us. It's a hard thing to talk about, this cancer thing, especially with those who we love so dearly. It must be hard having Scott away now. I will keep you both in my thoughts.

elaine

Welcome Renee,

You are in the right group, you will find

people fighting, getting treatment, others

no treatment, so be sure to read as many posts as

you can.

The 2 weeks your husband is away, may make a big

change in him, he will be with friends and may open up

more with them and find back his fighting spirit.

Stay around and keep us posted.

J.C.