Question for all

Fall54

I have a question that hopefully does not involve cancer. My husband has not had his regular voice in about 3 months.. maybe more. He contributed it to a lot of different things. He had all his teeth removed , he is pulling up a 200 yr old barn floor and replacing it and all the stuff he is breathing in from that etc etc.

Anyway yesterday we had a Dr visit with an ENT and he looked down my husbands throat and said he had polyps on both sides of his vocal chords. He put him on a steriod that he takes for 6 days and sees him in a month. If the polyps are gone ... Great!! If not then he will have to operate to remove them. In this case I guess there may be underlying cancer? He did have a chest xray last month from his family Dr and nasal xray and his chest x ray was normal but his nasal showed a cronic sinutitus which is something he has had most of his life.

He is a heavy smoker and was told by the ENT that polyps in the throat are caused by 2 things, smoking and or talking a lot. He does both. I am very worried about him, but he seems not to be about himself. I will admit I smoke too but would give it up in a heartbeat with him. I did give it up once but only lasted 3 months. It was hard as he smokes so much and we both work from home and are together 24/7. How can I get him to care enough or be worried enough to quit the smoking?? Please has anyone else had any experience themselves or with anyone else that developed polyps in their throat?? Please I am asking you to not go easy on me ... tell it to me like you see it !! I need your honesty and your prayers again it seems.

God bless you all,

Jane

Gee, Jane, it is really true that when it rains it pours.

I am TOTALLY uneducated about your husband's condition and am TOTALLY of no help here. What I can do, though, is tell you that I love you, care about you, and will pray for you and your husband. Will that help?

Love,

Peggy

Jane, about all I can add is that I hope your husband does well with the steroids and that in 6 weeks the polyps are gone. I wish you could both at least slow way down on the smoking. It hurts us in so many ways. It was the hardest thing I ever did to quit and only then after they dx'd me with LC, so I am not the one to give you advise as to how to do it. It took being scared silly for me to quit. You are in my thoughts Jane...good luck and thank you for all of your support.

Nina

Jane-

Sending love and prayers that the steroids do the trick. Sorry I don't know anything about the polyps. I'm concerned about your situation and hope you keep us updated even tho it is not LC. We treasure you and want the best for you. I'll be praying about the smoking too...nagging doesn't do it, as you well know.

Hi Jane

I just sent you a PM, but wanted to also write again that I am thinking of you alot and hoping that the steriod clear up these polyps! Please tell your lovely husband he is also being sent zillions of positive thoughts.

Jana

xxx

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Polyps in the vocal chords are often associated with singers. :shock: Does he sing a lot in the showers? :) Teachers, salesmen, people who give seminars a lot, etc. also have them. They are irritated by smoking, first and second hand and of course by other irritants such as the dust from un-installing a floor.

I can surely see why you would want him to quit smoking. This is another blow on top of all you have already had. But Jane, you can not do anything to make him quit. I don't think even inundating him with stats on throat cancer will help. It's something he has to decide. Most all of us know how very hard it is to give up smoking. Da*& those tobacco companies. I hate them. (oops - being a bad Buddhist again).

Being a former smoker (25 years ago) I'm not sure if this will help (knowing how hard it is to quit personally) but you might tell him that vocal polyps can be a pre-cursor of cancer - that they can turn cancerous.

Take care of YOURSELF. Do something kind for yourself today.

Cat

Jane,

A big talker and working in a dust incrusted place is

enough to play havock with vocal cords.

I remember 1985, when I lost my voice everyday at work

(came back when I was out of working place)

where they were doing repairs, vocals cords polyps and

infection. Antibiotics for 6 weeks and vocal rest for 45 days

and my voice is OK, but much lower and I still can't abuse it.

To me the dust from the old floor is the worst, your husband

should wear a special mask to work in dusty places.

Polyps that do not answer to antibiotics are treated by laser

and success is good.

But I may be way out as it is my experience of 20 years ago.

Smoking is for both of you to resolve.

Love & good vibes.

J.C.

Hi Jane my sister who is also a very heavy smoker and works in a Vegas

cassino calling bingo and being around alot of 2nd hand smoke as well.

She began get on and off sore throats and hoarsness and after going to

the doctors he found polyps and she had them removed and is doing ok.

She still smokes :? and gets several bouts of broncitis { spelling ??}

every year. Strange but her co- worker had the same thing at the same

time as my sister polyps on her vocal cords. Best of luck you have been

through enough already. Haylee

Jane,

My brother in law had polyps at one time too. The procedure was pretty much like everyone else, and he is doing fine...Tell hubby he really should be wearing a mask when breathing in all that dust, you never know what poisons are under that barn, he could damage his lungs permanently....

Jane,

A co-worker's husband had to have polyps removed from his vocal cords. He was a smoker, but also is a rough carpenter. He breaths in lots of saw dust. He quit smoking because of the throat cancer threat. The polyps were benign.

I am also a ex-smoker. I quit four years before my dx. The whole world (not really) told me to quit smoking. Rochelle told me for 30 years to quit. I tried several times. I used the patch twice, cutting down, cold turkey, and Zyban. I did not quit until I wanted to quit. The Zyban helped but, I had a reaction to it after two weeks. The prescription called for me to smoke one week while I took the Zyban, then continue the Zyban after I quit. I decided though after quitting one week that I was not going back. I had gotten that far and one cigarette would start the crap all over again.

Good luck to both of you John

Jane,

I think that treatment of what he DOES have is a primary...and along with the "assumption" that it's the talking and smoking that are causing the polyps, I would think about having the dust from the barn tested for airborne nasties. I believe our Dear Doctor Sam died due to complications of aspergillis and that that is something that may hang out in places that have had "poop infusions" over centuries.... I'm not sure if you would need to call your local health department or what over that, but I'm guessing that the only "new" behavior was what he was digging, not the talking and smoking (sounds like those are lifetime behaviors)...

Just my thoughts...

Wishing the best for you,

Becky

Jane I can not advise you about the polyps but I am so glad that you did not ignore the symptoms and your husband is having the problem looked into. As far as smoking- I pray you bothe make a wise decision. Donna G

Just to add to what Becky said a mask would be a great idea. When I

found this site thinking my husband may have lung cancer. He had a

baseball sized mass on his neck and a nodule was found on his lung.

Turned out to be infection from airborne nasties he worked around.

My hubby changed his profession quick after learning this. Haylee

I use to sing a lot, and I had polyps on the vocal chords. I'm more concerned about the organic vapors, toxic chemicals and wood particles and dust he's being exposed to as a carpenter.

Get your husband a good particulate matter/organic vapor respirator from a hardware store. They cost about $40.00, and the filters are replaceable, where as his lungs and sinuses are not. (The little paper mask isn't going to cut it doing what your hubby is doing.)

Tearing out old buildings, remodelling, gardening and even new construction of structures are all common sources for respiratory exposure to infections, such as Aspergillus, Coccidioidomycosis, etc.

Carpentry exposes folks to wood dust and whatever chemicals and germs(arsenic, lead, fungus and bacteria) have permeated the wood.

When I'm in my "Work Outdoors" get up I have on the straw hat, the leather gloves, the goggles over my glasses, the respirator, and sometimes the portable Oxygen Tank with the tube snaking out from under the respirator. I look like I belong on an episode of "Gardening with Darth Vader". But so what!

Adding my prayers and strength vibes...and I sure agree that a good mask is in order for when hubby is working!!

I have no firsthand knowledge of vocal polyps....but do know that they often are benign. I'm glad you're following through on getting this all checked out and will hold good thoughts for your hubby and for you!

Jane,

I really pray that your husbands polyps are benign.

Regarding advice on how to help your husband quit smoking : lead by example!! My hyusband and I both used to smoke. He quit first; cold turkey. I continued to smoke for another month and then finally quit (he didn't bug me at all). I told my self if he cared enough about himself to quit, then so should I. We haven't had a cigarette in 9 years. Good luck Jane, it is a hard thing to do but I haven't regretted it one bit!!

Kathi

Guest pproctor

You will both be in my prayers that you get good information. Very importantly, please try to quit. It hurts in the beginning but gets easier with time. Certainly easier than the eventual outcome of heavy smoking. Give it a try.

You can get a video from the American Cancer Society regarding lungs- healthy and that of a current smoker. I watched it and it worked for me. Just a thought! I also let my teenager watch it.

Please keep trying..Don't give up on yourself!

Jane,

What I think is that God is giving you and your hubby a wake up call, and you'd better listen! (Have you ever prayed to God that he might help you to quit smoking? :roll: This might be an answer to prayer)

What I did was started the Zyban, I only took it for 7 days (instead of 2 wks) and then I quit. It takes away the craves reallly well. You just need to take the pact with yourself to quit on that 7th day and do it. You will have a pretty easy time doing it together, and just think, you will thank God for it too! :D P.S. God asked me to give you this message! 8)

Tess