PET/CT results - bad and good

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I picked up my PET/CT scan report. It compared this scan with one of 12/3/03. I was previously dx'd and treated for small cell.

Report said Restaging Lung NSC. "right upper lobe mass......tracer accumulation has significantly diminshed when compared to previous exam."

Well, gee whiz, I would hope so. It was almost 9 cm and since then I've had months of combined chemo/radiation - for the wrong type of cancer but then....

Good news: No hilar or mediastinal adenopathy. No abnormal tracer accumulations in liver lesions.

My chemo onc had mentioned surgery. Today I saw my rad. onc. and asked about possibility of surgery. He said that would be difficult because of (results of) radiation treatment (for small cell lung cancer). He looked at the CD & said couldn't say for sure if it was cancer - it could be inflammation. I asked then why not give me Erthyromycin. He said there were 3 ways to go 1)watch it 2) give antibiotic 3) or more chemo

I told him I wanted to change my chemo onc and gave him a list of chemo onc names, asking him to recommend. He basically said stay with Dr. PresentChemoOnc.

He also wrote down the address of this web site and might be visiting. I told him how great everyone here was.

The difference between the two doctors is night and day. I don't know if I can stick with Dr. PresentChemoOnc.

Cat

Cat

This seems like pretty darn good news. But I don't understand exactly why no surgery. If the lung is damaged by radiation (given in error, to boot) then what's the big deal about taking out the lung or lobe since it's already damaged. Maybe you need to see a thoracic surgeon. Maybe that's the next step.

I hope the Dr, does come.

You sound better today too.

love

elaine

Cat

This seems like pretty darn good news. But I don't understand exactly why no surgery. If the lung is damaged by radiation (given in error, to boot) then what's the big deal about taking out the lung or lobe since it's already damaged. Maybe you need to see a thoracic surgeon. Maybe that's the next step.

I hope the Dr, does come.

You sound better today too.

love

elaine

But I don't understand exactly why no surgery. If the lung is damaged by radiation (given in error, to boot) then what's the big deal about taking out the lung or lobe since it's already damaged.

I hope the Dr, does come. Maybe you need to see a thoracic surgeon.

Good point. I just told my daughter I'll be calling my primary Monday to see him about this news and this mess. I'll ask him for a recommendation. He doesn't like my chemo doc. either.

I hope this posts. I've having the worst time posting and getting mail today.

Cat

My plan from the beginning was chemo and radiation , then surgery . The diffierence my be my radiation was aimed at the tumor only, it was only one lobe that was removed. Was your radiation aimed at the one spot or was it given generally all over your lungs? Donna G

Donna, It was aimed just at the tumor. In fact they used the hospital's newest acquisition. I can't remember now. Linear accelerator? Something like Novulus but spelling is probably wrong? 3 dimensional, better at targeting....

Cat,

It sounds like good news to me also! Some of what you discuss with Donna is over my head but just the same I do know how unhappy you have been with your present onc. if it were me I would get another one!! Cancer is serious business and I would want to be able to trust and like the onc I was seeing and making sure he was seeing me as a person and not just another patient. I worry a lot about you Cat, living alone as you do. I only wish there was another answer for you.

God Bless you always Cat,

Jane

Cat,I would want to be able to trust and like the onc I was seeing and making sure he was seeing me as a person Jane

Thanks Jane. :) IMHO (in my humble opinion) he sees me as a pain in the butt. I don't "fall in line". I color outside the lines. I do my own thing. At least that is the distinct impression I've had since I took it upon myself to send my slides to MD Anderson. In fact, he seems to be angry with me. How can I live with that? And live is the operative word.