astragalus

Cha RJ, Zeng DW, Chang QS.

General Hospital of PLA, Beijing.

54 consecutive cases of small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with longterm short-interval combined treatment modalities of chemotherapy, radiotherapy (55-65 GY), immunotherapy, traditional Chinese medicine (leaf of Asiatic Ginseng, root of Astragalus membranaceus Bge, etc) and other adjuvants. Chemotherapy consisted of vincristine, cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and carmustine. A complete response of 59.2%, partial response of 38.9% and an overall response of 98.1% were achieved. According to Kaplan-Meier, the survival rates of SCLC with limited disease for 1, 3, 5 and 10 years were 78.1%, 42.6%, 32.1% and 21.4% respectively; while those with extensive disease for 1, 3, and 5 years 90.5%, 13.4% and 13.4%. According to classification of international TNM staging (1988), the survival rates of stage II SCLC for 1, 3, 5 and 10 years were 92.9%, 61.9%, 53.1% and 31.8% respectively; of stage IIIa for 1, 3 and 5 years 80.0%, 30.0% and 20.0%, and of stage IIIb 83.3%, 20.8% and 15.6%. Our combined modalities raised the survival rates considerably; the improved effect was mainly due to the long-term (especially more than 2 years or 10 courses), short-interval, effective and timely combined treatment with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and adjuvants such as traditional Chinese medicine and immunotherapy. By using the above therapeutic strategy, 10 out of 12 SCLC patients including 4 with extensive disease, who were relatives of our hospital staffs, have gained more than 3-17 years of survival. Therefore small cell lung cancer even with extensive disease was a hopeful curable disease.

PMID: 7867442 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hi John; Those are very impressive results. I was diaognosed in Jan,03 with limited SCLC. My oncologist is very good, but does not seem too open to new therapys. I will bring this report to his attention when I see him on the 9th and get my CT results. Thanks, Kentwisc.