Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Cha RJ, Zeng DW, Chang QS.

General Hospital of PLA, Beijing.

54 consecutive cases of small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with longterm short-interval combined treatment modalities of chemotherapy, radiotherapy (55-65 GY), immunotherapy, traditional Chinese medicine (leaf of Asiatic Ginseng, root of Astragalus membranaceus Bge, etc) and other adjuvants. Chemotherapy consisted of vincristine, cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and carmustine. A complete response of 59.2%, partial response of 38.9% and an overall response of 98.1% were achieved. According to Kaplan-Meier, the survival rates of SCLC with limited disease for 1, 3, 5 and 10 years were 78.1%, 42.6%, 32.1% and 21.4% respectively; while those with extensive disease for 1, 3, and 5 years 90.5%, 13.4% and 13.4%. According to classification of international TNM staging (1988), the survival rates of stage II SCLC for 1, 3, 5 and 10 years were 92.9%, 61.9%, 53.1% and 31.8% respectively; of stage IIIa for 1, 3 and 5 years 80.0%, 30.0% and 20.0%, and of stage IIIb 83.3%, 20.8% and 15.6%. Our combined modalities raised the survival rates considerably; the improved effect was mainly due to the long-term (especially more than 2 years or 10 courses), short-interval, effective and timely combined treatment with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and adjuvants such as traditional Chinese medicine and immunotherapy. By using the above therapeutic strategy, 10 out of 12 SCLC patients including 4 with extensive disease, who were relatives of our hospital staffs, have gained more than 3-17 years of survival. Therefore small cell lung cancer even with extensive disease was a hopeful curable disease.

PMID: 7867442 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John; Those are very impressive results. I was diaognosed in Jan,03 with limited SCLC. My oncologist is very good, but does not seem too open to new therapys. I will bring this report to his attention when I see him on the 9th and get my CT results. Thanks, Kentwisc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.